Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Steam Next Fest, June 2024: Demos of upcoming RPGs available from June 10th to 17th

elverkongen

Learned
Here are my thoughts on what I played:
  • Demonschool: 10 seconds into the demo, getting some Persona wannabe vibes. MC is a manly looking red-haired girl(?). First NPC is a professor with blue hair. Alt+F4.
  • Kriegsfront Tactics: The music in the main menu had me feeling like I just booted up Farm Simulator 2022 or something. Played most of one mission, it's an (even lower) budget Mechwarrior Battletech. With that said, it wasn't bad. My major gripe is that once you're out of ammo or you get your weapon arm blown off, you have to resort to the super low-damage physical attack. It needs some way to procure more ammo and repair mech parts during the mission. Personally I see this as a critical omission, one that renders the game not worth playing if not rectified.
  • Dungeons of Hinterberg: Another red-haired female protag. First scene has her sitting down in some German city with an androgynous black female with a side shave. Combat was brainless. No thanks.
  • Veterum: Very promising, reminds me a lot of Battle Brothers. I like the map design quite a bit, but I wish you could either move freely or move across multiple nodes with one click, rather than having to click on each one as you travel.
  • Veritus: Being from Colorgrave (Curse Crackers, Prodigal), this is an automatic wishlist.
  • Saturated Outer Space: My initial impression was negative but after playing the first mission I feel it's promising. I like the idea of playing as a rescue squad, murdering space pirates and saving civilians.

Last edited:

Alphons

Cipher
Lost in the open

Before a meeting with a rival king you get ambushed by his assassins. You survive with a deep wound and just 2 bodyguards. You have to now escape the kingdom while being pursued by the enemy army, bandits, assassins and bounty hunters.

You navigate the map similarly to FTL by moving between nodes that can contain random text encounters, stores or enemies. You can't hang around as the nodes get overtaken by the enemy army, replacing the nodes with encounters with armored soldiers that give minimal reward.

Combat relies heavily on positioning and status effects.

Characters are defined by their class, stamina (AP), HP, armor (blocks X damage before breaking), initiative, dodge.

Each class has set weapon and armor than you can upgrade at stores. They start with a basic attack + 1/2 special abilities randomly chosen from the pool of their class abilities (these range from extra dodge, attacking and taking a step back, disarming someone, pushing enemy back or applying status effect like blind, stun, poison, bleeding, etc).

Characters gain XP depending on number of kills in battle. During the level up you get 1 skill point to upgrade current class abilites + a choice between 1 of 3 new abilities or 3 additional SPs.
Each ability has 2 upgrade branches that you need to choose between- for example Bleed skill can be upgraded to lower it's cooldown and raise crit chance and damage or increase it's accuracy, bleed amount and demoralize enemy and his nearby allies.

It's very heavy on RNG and doesn't allow to position your characters at the beginning of combat.
During one of my attempts I had a fight with assassins before I recruited even 1 additional ally. All characters spawned so close to them that they were all able to reach my party during first turn. Assassins apply stacking poison that lowers max stamina and king was quickly killed.
During my winning run I met 2 archers that joined me for some food before first fight and found a free pickaxe that gave me blue option in mine to load up on gold, which allowed me to recruit a bounty hunter and a heavy bandit and upgrade all my weapons

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

elverkongen

Learned
Some more impressions
  • Lost in the Open: It's an interesting take on the Rogue/Rogue-adjacent genre, but it follows conventions I really don't like: RNG nodes, nodes, nodes, with no backtracking, like so many other games in the genre. How much will different runs vary? Will there be different campaigns? With Veterum having a similar style of combat but more agency in the world (e.g., choosing missions to complete, economy, outfitting units, etc.) I just can't see a reason to play this.
  • Metal Slug Tactics: Pretty fun, there are a few different mission types in the demo (kill all enemies; survive x number of rounds; get to the exit; defeat the boss).
  • Riven: I think I've played every version of Myst on PC and I really liked the most recent version so this is a definite wishlist. I do wish they could integrate the FMVs, but they'd probably be so resolution that it would be jarring when juxtaposed with the more modern graphics.
  • Once Human: I didn't realize this was an MMO. Made a big titty character, jumped around, saw there's no jiggle physics, quit.
  • Swordhaven: Iron Conspiracy: I really enjoyed ATOM RPG and I think the UI here is really well done. I'm hoping there are plenty of opportunities for variation in characters classes, particularly non-combat focused ones, but we'll see. Definitely a wishlist.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I gave Enotria a try, it's a souls-clone. When you hit the roll button, it takes a noticeable 100-200ms before the roll even starts. Feels very annoying. I don't even know what they're trying to do, because none of them have the artistic talent to create Souls-like music and visual atmosphere, so what's the point? It feels like a student's home assignment.

Modron

Arcane
Kriegsfront Tactics: The music in the main menu had me feeling like I just booted up Farm Simulator 2022 or something. Played most of one mission, it's an (even lower) budget Mechwarrior. With that said, it wasn't bad. My major gripe is that once you're out of ammo or you get your weapon arm blown off, you have to resort to the super low-damage physical attack. It needs some way to procure more ammo and repair mech parts during the mission. Personally I see this as a critical omission, one that renders the game not worth playing if not rectified.
Get gud.

Scramble: Battle of Britain was good,
Rise of the Golden Idol more of the same quality as the first game,
Mirthwood and Songs of Steel: Hispania were both better than I expected from the style of graphics,

Still a fair amount of stuff I want to test before the end of the fest like The Alters, Beyond Galaxyland, Deepsleep: Labrynth of the Forsaken, City 20, Huaxia: Warring States, Republic of Pirates, and Kaiserpunk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom