Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

rezaf

Cipher
Fight or investigate them to unlock technologies and gain access to great treasures.

Great treasures, huh?
I wish Stellaris hadn't left me so jaded. I still remember examining the ship I managed to recover from one of the automated shipyard anomalies. It was way, WAY ahead of my tech in some aspects, like having lvl5 weapons when I was still at level2. And also high level shields when I hadn't yet researched any. And other fancy equipment. Boy, ain't that cool?

Then I realized I couldn't take the ship apart to unlock at least some of the technological marvels therein. Ah well, fair enough. But I'm gonna mop the floor with this badass, surely it will be massively superior to my neighbors ships, who is at the same tech level than me, right?
And then the glorious ship with highly advanced tech from the future got blown apart...

Quatlo

Arcane
Because it would be awesome if some event that took 60 seconds of your time gave you a ship that could destroy your neighbors entire fleet?
Yes. More fun than "Its the same as 3 of your shitty caveman ships but takes unit cap of 1"

whatevername

Arcane
Because it would be awesome if some event that took 60 seconds of your time gave you a ship that could destroy your neighbors entire fleet?
It took Londo a few minutes to get these ships that could destroy his neighbors entire fleet, so 60 seconds for 1 ship is about right.

rezaf

Cipher

It mustn't be able to destroy his entire fleet, but yes, it would be awesome if finding it would have some impact.
As I wrote earlier, overly sensitive balancing only makes a game bland.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I'm not sure I follow your line of reasoning. This isn't a strategy RPG, nor is it a game about the personal story of one ship or even a fleet. It's grand 4x game. The ship you found probably would have had an impact, if you placed it in a fleet and rushed one of your neighbors earlier than is usually possible..... I don't agree in any way that there should be super ships of any kind, much like I don't want super tanks in my HoI games, or super heroes in CK. If you want galactic heroes and super fancy mega tech, go play SoaSE, it's made for precisely for an audience that enjoys that.

I do think that fleet formations, overheating, the direction your ships have to face to fire and specific locations to add shields or armor based on hit boxes and damage could help a lot. There is in general just a lack of options for that entire part of the game.

rezaf

Cipher
I did place it in a fleet and didn't notice it having notably different performance than my own ships of the same size, but decades behind in tech research.
It probably caused a speckle more damage and absorbed a little more, but overall, it made far too little impact.

I wonder why you're so opposed to the idea - I mean, if you find a perfect size >20 gaia world three jumps from your home system, ripe for colonization - doesn't that technically give you an unfair advantage just the same? If you lose your experienced explorer-scientist in a failed event, doesn't that leave you with a severe disadvantage? And these are things that can already happen in Stellaris.

It's just extremely anticlimactic if you finish this event where the long forgotten shipyard of ye old galaxy spanning empire from millenia past churns out a ship for you ... and it's weaksauce.
There should be an entire gamemode disabling anomalies alltogether so people like you who like all things in their life to be bland and boring can have a fulfilling game experience as well. :p

I'm just not too fond of the entire approach Stellaris currently uses. In a truly grand strategy 4x game (as opposed to an ordinary one like MoO), species should also start on different footings - not everybody should begin exploring the galaxy at the same time. There's a tiny notion of this in the game with the fallen empires, but it's far too little.
Babylon 5 indeed - the stronger races should not always care about the lessers, often not competing for their colonies or going to war with them. Vast tech disparitys should be the norm and not a gameplay problem. Victory conditions would have to be something different than paint the star map your color. And Stellaris has the potential to do all that and more. Or it could remain a boring (after the exploration phase) husk of a game, we'll see.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
not everybody should begin exploring the galaxy at the same time

Have you noticed the 'advanced start' option? It spawns AI empires (not Fallen) which are more developed.

rezaf

Cipher
Have you noticed the 'advanced start' option? It spawns AI empires (not Fallen) which are more developed.

Yeah, but in Stellaris this is basically just there to increase difficulty. The game is just not (currently) built for this kind of thing. If you are bigger, you can field and maintain more ships, and that's essentially all that matters. Force composition (i.e. which weapons you use) and techlevel do play a minor role, but ... well, it's really minor. Even more importantly, the AI is megalomaniacal and despite all the fancy agendas, nobody is going to invite you to a "let's all hold hands" federation as the one in StarTrek, there can't be a thing like the League of Non Aligned Worlds in B5 and so on.

Paradox should really take a close look how such things are depicted in the different notable SciFi franchises and make it so that such things can happen in Stellaris. Actually, they should've done this before releasing the game.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Your complaints could be leveled at every single game ever produced in either the grand strategy or the 4X genre.

Setting that sort of bar for Stellaris is problematic, at best.

If you are bigger, you can field and maintain more ships, and that's essentially all that matters.

Which is not massively different to reality, in terms of grand strategy.

nobody is going to invite you to a "let's all hold hands" federation as the one in StarTrek, there can't be a thing like the League of Non Aligned Worlds in B5 and so on.

Your first example I don't get, because the game has that exact feature: federations. And you get invited to alliances and federations all the time, if you're a mid-tier power.

RE: The LoNAW, it's a difficult example to use, because B5 (probably my favorite television series, period) hand-waves it away as a sort of non-descript 'everyone else' faction. It never attains any status, nor impacts the story arcs in any way but as a victim of aggression. Meanwhile, the major players behave similarly to Stellaris' megalomaniacal AI. I'm not sure how this would work as a game mechanic.

rezaf

Cipher
Your complaints could be leveled at every single game ever produced in either the grand strategy or the 4X genre.

Well, I honestly can't think of another grand strategy 4x game. There's been a few that tried to sprinkle a little story in, like Imperium Galactica and ... was it Hegenomy?, but they're not grand strategy imo.
Like I often said in this thread, Stellaris could end up being one of the best 4x games ever, it has the potential ... but it also could stay essentially what it is now. Maybe it bit off more than it can chew, in the end.
For example, I could totally see the game working as "Sim StarTrek", where the empires are already on the map and all you're doing as a player is manage a starship (or maybe a fleet) and it's crew(s), flying around doing anomaly-like events, uncovering a story in the process.
But Stellaris tries to be a little of this game, a little traditional 4x and a little grand strategy, all at once. We'll see where it'll end up in the end, hard to judge from the alpha version. ;)

If you are bigger, you can field and maintain more ships, and that's essentially all that matters.

Which is not massively different to reality, in terms of grand strategy.

Well, in other Paradox titles, it's often crucial to exploit opportunities as they present themselves, like when the Ottomans are busy fighting Austria and can't get their troops to the other end of their empire where you wan't to grab some land from them and stuff like this.
In Stellaris, wars are often like a joust between the two opposing main fleets, and after one side won, it's a lot of busywork blowing up tons of orbital stations to grind enough warscore. If, during this period, there's another war, the main fleet can zip over in no time.
Maybe it's fine for you guys, but warfare is definately one of the weakest parts of Stellaris for me, even with the smallchange modifications announced in the DDs.

Your first example I don't get, because the game has that exact feature: federations. And you get invited to alliances and federations all the time, if you're a mid-tier power.

Maybe this has been considerably tweaked, but it definately wasn't like that when I last played. Few and far between, there'd be a power with which cordial relations seemed possible (especially back when you still could cheese via embassies), but I wasn't "invited all the time". Maybe it was just bad luck, though.

RE: The LoNAW, it's a difficult example to use, because B5 (probably my favorite television series, period) hand-waves it away as a sort of non-descript 'everyone else' faction. It never attains any status, nor impacts the story arcs in any way but as a victim of aggression. Meanwhile, the major players behave similarly to Stellaris' megalomaniacal AI. I'm not sure how this would work as a game mechanic.

You should really read up on that in the extended lore. The LoNAW is of minor importance in the show, but they have an interesting history which is only hinted at. Basically, it harkens back to the days when the Dilgar gobbled up a considerable amount of minor races, only to be stopped by the Earth Alliance. The LoNAW was formed (though it technically had existed previously, but was more of a paper tiger with few members, most inactive) in the aftermath for mutual protection of all member races. Over at the EA, the humans, arrogant and overconfident after giving the Dilgar a sound beating, brought the wrath of the Minbari upon themselves ... the rest of the story you should know from the movie on the topic and the series itself.

As for megalomanicalism (is that a word?) / different powerlevels, this is of course hard to tackle - the only game I remember even trying it is the not-too-old Horizon. My only idea would be what I'd call the Katamari approach, where you grow to a whole different level where conquering or even messing with races on a lower level just isn't worth the effort for the most part. If the exact implementation was easy, I could point you to games where it was implemented effectively... :P

ck2.
lesser regions can be annexed by asking, by putting the right people on their thrones, by letting your minions do all the fight (sometimes by themselves) and in some mods i've seen entire kingdoms outright surrender when overwhelmed.

rezaf

Cipher
ck2.
lesser regions can be annexed by asking, by putting the right people on their thrones, by letting your minions do all the fight (sometimes by themselves) and in some mods i've seen entire kingdoms outright surrender when overwhelmed.

You know what, at first I thought this example is a bad fit due to CK2's character driven gameplay, but on second thought, yes, you're probably right.
Instead of the stupid sector mechanic, there should be something that ended up working like the Emperor->King->Duke->Count->Baron chains in CK. You'd end up with empires like those in most scifi franchises, instead of space nazis that obliterate every non-arian, so to speak.
It'd require a pretty significant overhaul, though.

not really. the election mechanics are already in place (if your government supports local elections, otherwise you keep assigning sector leaders yourself).
different races would almost never swap allegiance, xenophile races could issue a "convince sector (if ever the ai uses them)/system/planet" which would work like the infiltration in pre-ftl civilizations; on success you annex the sector/system/planet and have a penalty to relations with the empire you've taken from. much better than the liberate-vassallize-integrate cycle.
more aggressive races could have the same system with different numbers, maybe requiring a fleet >x% stronger than target and heavier final assimilation penalties.

it's not very difficult to implement and doesn't require a switch to a per-person system.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Tried to play again after a few patches, and now i want to play MOO2 again even more... And those incompetent cash grabers from Wargaming failed to make a proper MOO. Fuck this world! That happens when corporate structures and uncontrolled capitalism takes over creativity, incompetence and retards everywhere.

dag0net

Arcane
whilst gamers get older the games they play become less challenging. these two trends must be linked somehow.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Yup, reached middle game again, still shit, boring. Combat is shit, the empire management is garbage, the victory conditions are shit (non existant), its broken on core design, much like most of the paradox games. Luckly most of the people dont notice, so 9/10 on steam.

Fuck this world!

Forkrul

Novice
Yup, reached middle game again, still shit, boring. Combat is shit, the empire management is garbage, the victory conditions are shit (non existant), its broken on core design, much like most of the paradox games. Luckly most of the people dont notice, so 9/10 on steam.

Fuck this world!
Have you tried "Stars in shadow"? I'd like to hear your opinion on that.

Thane Solus

Arcane

Fuck this world!
Have you tried "Stars in shadow"? I'd like to hear your opinion on that.

Looks nice for a indie game, has a certain passion to that art, and similar features to MOO2, ill check it out on release or probably even earlier.

rezaf

Cipher
Is this game (Stellaris) even going anyhwere?
By this time (5 months since release), CK2 already had it's first major dlc (Sword of the Islam) with an even larger (Legacy of Rome) incoming and Sunset Invasion almost immediately after.
Stellaris has a cosmetic dlc most of which was probably finished before the game was out and an announced quest pack, which sounds rather underwhelming.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is this game (Stellaris) even going anyhwere?
By this time (5 months since release), CK2 already had it's first major dlc (Sword of the Islam) with an even larger (Legacy of Rome) incoming and Sunset Invasion almost immediately after.
Stellaris has a cosmetic dlc most of which was probably finished before the game was out and an announced quest pack, which sounds rather underwhelming.
The upcoming patch and dlc are aiming towards spicing up the mid game with the introduction of independent "factions" (like Pirates,Scientists, Amoebas or whatever) that will have bases and will do stuff not just randomly spawn...as well as mega-beasts that will also have special quest lines and stuff.
Also combat is supposedly revamped somewhat.

I'm interested in these changes to be honest, pirates specifically are a joke in the current state

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom