Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - dark fantasy reimagining of FF1 from Team Ninja

Brickfrog

Learned
Just started playing. Laughed pretty hard at the frank sinatra intro. Think I'm gonna like this

Last edited:

Brickfrog

Learned
I really hate the itemization but as others have said the moment to moment gameplay is pretty solid.

Shrimp

Arbiter

Apparently this kind of shit is one of the sources for the questionable performance - at least on PC. I have no idea what the performance is like on consoles.
I tried fiddling around with some of the in-game graphic settings but none of them seemed to actually have any effect on the frame rate for me.

Codex Year of the Donut

Apparently this kind of shit is one of the sources for the questionable performance - at least on PC. I have no idea what the performance is like on consoles.
I tried fiddling around with some of the in-game graphic settings but none of them seemed to actually have any effect on the frame rate for me.

fucking lol did they just import zbrush sculpts without doing any retopo?

Shrimp

Arbiter

fucking lol did they just import zbrush sculpts without doing any retopo?

Gonna be honest I have literally zero idea what most of those words mean but it does seem like there's been some poor practice involved.

Codex Year of the Donut
Gonna be honest I have literally zero idea what most of those words mean but it does seem like there's been some poor practice involved.
layman's terms: you're supposed to create a much lower density 'skin' around the higher density model
they seemingly skipped this step

probably outsourced work that wasn't properly reviewed

This runs like absolute dogshit on a 3070. If you enable dynamic resolution (the option is called "prioritize FPS" here) it drops resolution down to sub-1080p and it still runs like ass. This is funny because it looks like a low-tier PS3 game. Nioh 2 ran at 4k 100-120fps with the same rig, while looking 10x better.

All cutscenes (which use realtime models/gfx and look as atrocious as everything else) are prerecorded FMVs and run at 30fps.

On the PS5 it's even worse. Did they give this to Team Ninja's interns? It's embarassing.

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
having such a meta video game in the FF series so soon after FF7R feels risky though
i'm telling you nomura is just testing the limits of his tenure
Other than the technical issues, this seems to be a lot better received than FF7R though. Probably because it's not actively insulting the people it's meant to be advertised to.
?? I've never met any jrpg fans who don't consider FF7R to be the best thing square has made in decades, myself included.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
having such a meta video game in the FF series so soon after FF7R feels risky though
Other than the technical issues, this seems to be a lot better received than FF7R though. Probably because it's not actively insulting the people it's meant to be advertised to.
?? I've never met any jrpg fans who don't consider FF7R to be the best thing square has made in decades, myself included.
You obviously haven't read the FF7R thread here

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
This is really more of a straight brawler than a soulslike. There's almost no exploration to speak of and dying doesn't really matter, you don't lost XP or levels or anything like that.

Also the lack of stances makes this feel much more shallow than Nioh, even though you can get through all those games by spamming the best combo over and over. I haven't unlocked any of the multi-weapon classes yet though. So far duelist seems OP since you can just do 75% stagger + knockdown on anything with one sneak attack, making all the other moves pointless. I'm also not clear on what if anything transfers between classes.

Delterius

Arcane
You obviously haven't read the FF7R thread here
hes talking about normal ppl

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I assume the meta-commentary was meant to be because

Huh.. Make a lot of sense, Jack is essentially in his 3 or 4 New Game Plus. Never thought out of that way, only about the ''meta-commentary''/joke about Villians making long monologues while the heroes watch and Jack not being a regular JRPG protagonist to follow those cliches.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I'm pretty sure this game is the result of an experiment in which a bunch of Japanese devs got locked in a basement that only contains computers with gamedev software and potato sacks full of cocaine.

Viata

Arcane
I'm pretty sure this game is the result of an experiment in which a bunch of Japanese devs got locked in a basement that only contains computers with gamedev software and potato sacks full of cocaine.
Sounds like a great place, tbh. More so if we limit the RAM each computer has so those faggots have to learn how to optimize their fucking games.

Silentstorm

Learned
Finished the game on hard, Jack goes completely crazy and ups his ham qualities in the last two missions or so after a certain battle, to a point where i am shocked i haven't seen memes of his lines at the end, he even laughs like a villain and everything!

Sadly, post game is...lame, i think you get one more normal mission to kill Master Tonberries and then boss rushes for better equipment, the real thing is CHAOS difficulty which is there to make every level much harder, to compensate, you get better equipment and your jobs go from level 30 to level 99 and you get to upgrade your stats...okay, but there is nothing new, it's just grinding or leveling after everything is done, with a backlog and other stuff to do, i am just going to ignore post-game and move on to something else.

Hopefully, if they make DLC, they don't make it expecting you to have overleveled, and i hope the DLC is something cool like fighting the Final Fantasy 1 party, at least Dissidia already shows us what one looks like, give us a Garland set because it's a travesty we can't make Jack look like knight Garland, maybe use the fact that areas are based on other games to let us fight some FF characters, the place based on FF6 quickly leads to places with Jester in the name and thus i demand a Kefka boss DLC fight.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think this will bomb hard. I'll pick it up for $20, during Christmas sales.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom