Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Strategy games lacking direct control

Multi-headed Cow

I KNOW YOU FEEL THIS, SHEPARD

laclongquan

Arcane
It's fiddly as fuck!

I mean, the damn thing can be micromanaged to death. You could let AI manage a few things, but in that case you better design shits soyour AI minister can make effective use of that, and give it overwhelming ods or they will lose your beautiful fleets.

Heechee

Liturgist
If no direct control in battle is sufficient, then the Spartan and its expansion Gates of Troy by Slitherine should be mentioned. Bit simplistic in some of their mechanics but still nice games for a starved TBS fan.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Destroid said:
Is it just me or do fighters rape everything in SE V?

Actually drones > fighters because drones can mount ship weapons. Scout drones are also ridiculously cheap so my usual tactic if beginning research points are allowed is to get all the technologies unlocking drones or actually getting drones (you get the gist of it), and churn out tons of drones in the first year of the game. Scout drones, hunter drones, drones drones drones. only thing drones (and fighters and satellites) arent good for is mining.

Norfleet

They also seem to have a weakness in that when I played, in that they refused to follow any tactic more advanced than "crash into your opponent", which was instantly fatal to them no matter how heavily armored you made them. This greatly limited their effectiveness, making them simply more micromanagement-intensive missiles.

Fighters were mostly useful as pursuit craft: They died too easily from anything else, but when you needed them to mop up fleeing opponents, you could launch them.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Norfleet said:
They also seem to have a weakness in that when I played, in that they refused to follow any tactic more advanced than "crash into your opponent", which was instantly fatal to them no matter how heavily armored you made them. This greatly limited their effectiveness, making them simply more micromanagement-intensive missiles.

Fighters were mostly useful as pursuit craft: They died too easily from anything else, but when you needed them to mop up fleeing opponents, you could launch them.

Never had this problem, depending on the unit type you pick for them (I think theres an assault drone option), the ai can function based onthat. You can also make a custom ai within the ability of the game interface itself. I had my units spray all their missiles and THEN suicide themselves when they ran out of ammo. Also I think using options such as "maximum range" help too.

Norfleet

MaskedMartyr said:
Never had this problem, depending on the unit type you pick for them (I think theres an assault drone option), the ai can function based onthat. You can also make a custom ai within the ability of the game interface itself. I had my units spray all their missiles and THEN suicide themselves when they ran out of ammo. Also I think using options such as "maximum range" help too.
Must be something they added in a patch, then. When I played, I remember the vexation with drones that would only kamikaze themselves into opponents no matter what you told them to do.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Norfleet said:
MaskedMartyr said:
Must be something they added in a patch, then. When I played, I remember the vexation with drones that would only kamikaze themselves into opponents no matter what you told them to do.[/quote

lol, people have designed their entire fleets around drones. I myself designed scout drones because they take up about 8 percent of the maintenance cost as a regular scout ship. Build about 8 of them and you are revealing far more of the galactic map than is normal. The best things about them is they are actually cheaper than fighters AND can mount ship weapons. Theres various tactics such as the missile net or hunter drones that blow the fuck out of fighters and can get between ships and missiles to intercept them. And the best part?

DAMN CHEAP, the zionist space empire would be proud

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom