Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Street Fighter 6

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ryu is like the one Street Fighter character that should always be in Street Fighter. You can always have someone else be the main character for whatever is going on, (which is what Street Fighter 2, 3, 4, and 5 do; and what this will likely do too) but Ryu is the figurehead of the series. They'll probably have Alex in this game too. Especially if they're actually having a Street Fighter take place after Street Fighter 3.

The bastards keep making prequels to Street Fighter 3 because they don't want to commit to Alex being the face of the series! He's the face of the new generation! It should be Alex in that teaser, not Luke, Luke is just a knock-off Alex.

lsAwXWU.png

Abel is knockoff Alex, Luke plays totally different.

Why would Alex be the face of the series? He's just the main character of Street Fighter 3. He's the main character of 3. Guile and Chun-Li are the main characters of 2. Abel is the main character of 4. And 5 is a mess because it released a year before it was even finished.

J1M

Arcane
I don't know who Luke and Alex are, so they would be a poor choice compared to anyone from Street Fighter 2.

the first street fighter was an ik clone, sf became truly iconic only with the second one, which is coincidentally still one of the best fighting games and no doubt the best of the series. any character taken outside of its roster is just a sad muppet.

Last edited:
The first Street Fighter game doesn't even kind of play like International Karate: It's health bars as opposed to a karate point system, you've got three punches and three kicks like in SF2, and Ryu has the same supers as in Street Fighter 2 with the exact same move inputs. Street Fighter and Street Fighter 2 function the same way; it's just Street Fighter 1 controls like fucking shit and you functionally only have one playable character.

That is something that drove me crazy in that recent IT movie. That IT was very clearly written to take place in like '91/'92, because that stuff with Street Fighter was very clearly meant to be Street Fighter 2 because nobody that played Street Fighter would be as crazy for it as that one character in IT was...that was a Street Fighter 2 reaction. I didn't even know anyone who even knew there was a first Street Fighter when Street Fighter 2 came out. It was this thing everyone just wondered about. You assumed there was a Street Fighter before it becomes why else would these thing be called Street Fighter 2? But for all we knew Street Fighter 2 was the first Street Fighter game when it came out and it was some weird name thing, like how Star Wars was Episode 4.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Do you think they'll introduce a new character that's a blond American with a military background? I don't think that demographic has enough representation.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Hate how Chun-Li looks but it looks pretty promising so far.

At least it seems like they're going towards a single player mode as a big selling focus instead of that dogshit e-sports thing from SFV.

ADL

Prophet
It took the spot of Dragon's Dogma 2 at the showcase so for that reason alone, I hate it.
Not sure what Street Fighter gains by becoming open world either.

Viata

Arcane
Somewhere along those thousands of SF releases, my interest for the series died. Yet, I still enjoy seeing those CGI fighting trailers, can't dislike watching some nice fighting scenes. :thumbsup:

One-button specials aren't the worst thing in a game like Smash Bros. where the game is built around it and a lot of the execution comes from the movement of your character, but I don't think it's a good fit for Street Fighter. At least in a lot of the other modern fighting games that try to lower the execution barrier with autocombos you're dumping meter, and it's typically an inefficient way of spending that meter.

Generic-Giant-Spider

If you want to know how dumb simplified controls in Street Fighter can be, get a ROM of Super Turbo for the GBA, hit whatever button Select is mapped to during gameplay, and enjoy Rainbow Edition looking shit.

https://streetfighter.com/6/en-us/mode/fightingground.html

More info about the gameplay/mechanics.

"Simpler controls" scares the shit out of me.

It's a good thing. Removing move execution so players only need to think about the implementation of the move as opposed to needing to think of the execution of just getting it out consistently isn't a bad thing. They can always let you do the input like Smash Bros. does with Ryu to get a more powerful version of the movie; which I'd guess they're gonna do, since you can do classic inputs still.

That DNF Duel game lets you do both there too, and it works pretty perfectly.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Didn’t care for the trailer and ain’t a fan of the rainbow special effects when doing moves but an actual fleshed out single player mode is good news in my book, let’s see if they can pull it off.

This "acessibility" crap always seems misguided to me. Scrubs in fighting games aren't scrubs because they can't pull off a Hadouken, they're scrubs because they can't punish properly, can't understand space properly, and ultimately can't win. Plus, they always blame something else other than themselves for losing. This is an iron law and will never change, no matter how much you simplify inputs.

At the end of the day it's a moot point, because there will probably be significant downsides to using simplified inputs anyway (first one that comes to mind is that there's no way the control the strength of the move - you only get one version, probably the fierce/roundhouse version) and no one who wants to win will use them ever. It's just a bullet point.

Anyway I liked the trailer. New characters look supremely retarded, but I liked Chun's model. Systems seem to be a sort of mishmash between 3/4/5, with focus attacks, alpha counters, EX moves, FADC and parries all governed by a single bar. By the way, on the official site they mention that "If you spend your entire Drive Gauge, you'll enter a burnout state with big disadvantages", which means you might suffer some sort of disadvantage (in addition to the obvious lack of an important resource) if you're running on empty.

Single player content and the online lobby shit can all take a hike, I'm never interested in any of that.

I'm too old to be excited for this shit and I dislike the entire street thug/rap/wibba aesthetic, but I'll play a little bit of it for sure.

Generic-Giant-Spider

It's a good thing. Removing move execution so players only need to think about the implementation of the move as opposed to needing to think of the execution of just getting it out consistently isn't a bad thing.

The reason why they keep doing these retard-friendly mechanics is because the developers think that the super casual player who can't do a Shoryuken to save their life in 2022 actually gives a shit about that as a selling point. They don't. Most of what will sell a fighting game is the IP, the advertising campaign and whatever value it looks like they can get with their money.

Execution should always be in fighting games. Things like the Daigo Parry or doing Neo Deadly Raves become a lot less impressive when every single person can effortlessly pull it off by just spamming a button.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The reason why they keep doing these retard-friendly mechanics is because the developers think that the super casual player who can't do a Shoryuken to save their life in 2022 actually gives a shit about that as a selling point. They don't. Most of what will sell a fighting game is the IP, the advertising campaign and whatever value it looks like they can get with their money.

Execution should always be in fighting games. Things like the Daigo Parry or doing Neo Deadly Raves become a lot less impressive when every single person can effortlessly pull it off by just spamming a button.

Of course, execution is half of the equation. It tests the mental faculties as much as the physical ones, to be able to execute difficult manuevers when under duress. It's what depth is about. It makes characters distinct from one another, it gives personality and style, it deepens the connection between the player and their character.

To me it all comes down to whether the game plays normally when it comes out or not, by which I mean: will the 'real' fighting be done using the traditional control system? If so, then there's hope. If the new "assisted controls" thing is just a bullet point feature and won't actually feature much beyond a rare few extreme casuals who just use it to "have fun" with their friends and it has no real bearing on the actual game then it might be o.k.

I'm willing to give it a chance. Let's see.

aweigh as a fan of SF4 you must be looking forward to FA/FADC being in again, right?

The thing that worries me the most about this game is the fact that limited development resources will be divested to single-player bullshit that will have no bearing on actual matches. That's never a good thing.

As much as I will bitch and think this game might really suck dick I'll still buy it/play it because it's Street Fighter. This is my curse.

I used to think that I would always play SF (was an arcade fiend from Champion Edition all the way up to Third Strike, played almost every day for hours), but I only played a few months of SF4 and only played the beta for SF5. I think for me there's a generational divide. I don't like the spammy flashy effects, I don't like simplification and I don't like how every characters feels the same (combo->cancel/extension of some sort->super/setup into safe jump). Recent fighting games have a real design-by-committee feel that is abhorrent to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom