Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Suggest some rpgs for a storyfag who hasn't been playing much

Ruhfuss

Savant
Without wanting this to derail into a "RPG or not?" type of discussion, I'd like to throw in System Shock 2. Obvious fanboy alert. No spoilers.

At least to me, the game offers an unsurpassed atmosphere. It has more or less serious balancing issues, but is a very good blend of various gameplay elements. The modding community is small, but active, and offers some great stuff.

The game's story presentation is my all time favorite. A system that lets the player consume the story WHILE playing the game, almost no forced slow down that constantly takes the player out of what he was doing to passively consume filler content(*). Almost. And no dialog tree navigation that forces any kind of unfitting personality on the player('s alter ego), or has obscure gameplay consequences.

(*) a feature that really shines on subsequent playthroughs - yes, the game offers replayability!

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
but I can see why people would like it
you mean because it has gay people in it?
No, I mean it looks like it has a somewhat fleshed out RPG mechanic, such as stats, background, magic schools, etc, as well as several story routes. Plus, I think people like the magic academy settings, and so this game should appeal to them.

Although the game's forum poster seem similar to the Bioware fanbase in the sense they just want a dating simulator (see screenshot).

Without wanting this to derail into a "RPG or not?" type of discussion, I'd like to throw in System Shock 2. Obvious fanboy alert. No spoilers.

At least to me, the game offers an unsurpassed atmosphere. It has more or less serious balancing issues, but is a very good blend of various gameplay elements. The modding community is small, but active, and offers some great stuff.

The game's story presentation is my all time favorite. A system that lets the player consume the story WHILE playing the game, almost no forced slow down that constantly takes the player out of what he was doing to passively consume filler content(*). Almost. And no dialog tree navigation that forces any kind of unfitting personality on the player('s alter ego), or has obscure gameplay consequences.

(*) a feature that really shines on subsequent playthroughs - yes, the game offers replayability!

I nearly suggested the same, but I got caught on whether it was an RPG and whether it would appeal to storyfags.

Ruhfuss

Savant
System Shock 2

I nearly suggested the same, but I got caught on whether it was an RPG and whether it would appeal to storyfags.

A matter of taste, I guess. The game certainly HAS a story ;), and IMO a great way of letting the player experience that story. And it has enough role playing elements to be taken into consideration, as long as one doesn't find the FPS interface and shooter mechanics off-putting.

Barbarian

Arcane
Playing NWN 2 right now. I was first convinced by people here I should give Mask of the Betrayer a try. Later I was convinced by a friend that I should play the OC first for completion's sake, and I am actually going through it(must be all the years missing some D&D). I'm in the start of act 2 now and I'm actually glad I chugged along through the most boring parts of the first act. It is far from a great game, but it is enjoyable enough so far. I will drag myself through it.

As for the npcs, I'm surprised to hear Avellone wrote them. They are basically boring generics. The only one somewhat interesting so far is Qara. I hope at least the other npcs you pick up along the way are more "avellonian"

Modron

Arcane
Eh doing the NWN 2 OC is not really a prerequisite for MotB, there is like 1 story link between that expansion and the original game's story. While I am of the opinion that the OC for NWN 2 is better than the codex gives it credit, the game really does wind down noticeably towards the end and might sap your will to complete it.

Add one more to the Age of Decadence and Arcanum tallies.

I'll go ahead and recommend the Game of Thrones RPG because it's largely forgotten around here, GoT's storyline is grim dark done right and probably right up a storyfag's alley. While the combat isn't anything to write home about (it is pretty much equivalent to kotor in application) being round based real-time.

Perhaps you might enjoy Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption game or not, decent enough game to give it a shot.

v1rus

Arcane
Playing NWN 2 right now. I was first convinced by people here I should give Mask of the Betrayer a try. Later I was convinced by a friend that I should play the OC first for completion's sake, and I am actually going through it(must be all the years missing some D&D). I'm in the start of act 2 now and I'm actually glad I chugged along through the most boring parts of the first act. It is far from a great game, but it is enjoyable enough so far. I will drag myself through it.

As for the npcs, I'm surprised to hear Avellone wrote them. They are basically boring generics. The only one somewhat interesting so far is Qara. I hope at least the other npcs you pick up along the way are more "avellonian"

I salute you bro. Everyone should man up, and take the kick in the balls that the OC is. Only then you can truly experience MotB.

Also, on companions - I actually kinda liked them. Sure, they are bunch of walking stereotypes, but they are silly self-conscious stereotypes at least. There a couple of laughs to be had here or there, too. Just look at them like bunch of commedia dell-arte types, and it will start getting fun sooner or later. And whole "Influence system" is fun, just like it was in KotOR 2, sadly it has far less repercussions here.

Mind you, NWN2 OC's biggest problem is certainly the pacing/tempo. There are quite a few fun thingies in the game tho - content may be your average, stereotypical 3.5 content, but some of it is rather well done. The whole trial sequence is awesum, but sadly, it also has no repercussions on plot. No matter what you achieve, its still going to play out the same way. And above all, castle management. Castle management bloody rocks. Can you guess what's wrong with it tho? Yes, once again, it has no god damn impact on the game. Its like you opened a new tab while you were playing NWN2, and started playing bloody Sims. Such a shame, since recruiting people is so god damn fun.
I just love how the game brings back some of the characters, like Bevil, Torio, Deekin, and that <3 spider <3. So much wasted potential, sigh.
In the end, beside pacing, the game's second biggest problem is lack of consequences. Choices are there, but there are no god damn consequences, trivializing the choices.

Now, imho, while the OC does have just a couple connections to the MotB on the actual plot level, it has quite a few on the metaphorical/implicit level. Without spoiling you anything, ill just say this - you could argue that OC's main theme is the examination of what a hero is - deconstruction/reconstruction/examination/w/e, you cant really read well into that mess, but the hero motif prevails above all else. The game is obviously trying to say something about it, it just cant quite word it well enough. And thats where MotB comes in, and it fits just beautiful.

It could have been a great game really. Sadly, it just isn't. Worth playing, so you could enjoy MotB fully tho.

I leave you with this:

"Harcourt: He [Lord Tavorick] urged me to go away, and said that I shouldn't return until I was... "younger and female", were his words, I believe."

I really liked that old fella. I even reloaded so i could keep him alive.

EDIT - Cant resist, i like the old guy way too much.

Captain Ballard: Lord Tavorick. Good to see you alive.
Lord Cyran Tavorick: Even better to be so, Captain.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Play Adventure Games and story games instead of polluting the RPG genre even further with your kind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom