Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suikoden I&II HD Remaster Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars

jungl

Augur
Remaster looks good. Suikoden 1+2 look like dogshit. Modified rpgmaker 95 visually.
First game is relatively short and fun the second game is a slog with shit encounter design like the 6 man soldier and the reused boss+story elements from the first game.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Remaster looks good. Suikoden 1+2 look like dogshit. Modified rpgmaker 95 visually.
First game is relatively short and fun the second game is a slog with shit encounter design like the 6 man soldier and the reused boss+story elements from the first game.
This is funny, I'd have basically said the opposite. The second game is basically the first game but improved, so you could just skip the first one.

Besides, the second one has that awesome cooking minigame and Gabocha!

Gabocha01.gif

Don't you diss Gabocha. I will fight you!

The first Suikoden was the best. It was 15 hours long and felt like a weighty war epic. Lots of major character deaths. When you escaped from the crumbling castle and the montage of all of the character endings played with the mournful music playing, it felt like a lot had happened. There was a lot of sacrifice and loss to change things.

S2 is technically better (no more inventory micromanagement issues, better balance, better art, etc). However, Suikoden II was a 40 hour long game but only like 2 guys died, so when the ending montage plays you realize that pretty much everybody survived and lived happily ever after. It also retconned a couple character deaths from S1. It feels like the series got tamer as it went on. Then you reach S3 which was 65 hours long and literally only one guy died (during the first 5 hours) and you probably didn't like him either. The games got increasingly bloated but it felt like less and less happened. S5 killed more people off again but that game didn't feel weighty like S1 did.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I will probably pick this up so I do not need to play the PS4 or emulate it. Never played the og much so it might not bug me if the sprites are shit.

I found Windy to be more intimidating than him, being a wicked woman who has bewitched the king and took over the kingdom, sicced the armies on the heroes, and relentlessly pursued Ted for hundreds of years. The villain of 3 was intriguing but sadly that game felt really unfinished and the exposition dump at the end was incoherent.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
99% of these remasters put the graphics in an uncanny valley. It's better to play the originals, where the chosen graphics style makes sense and it is consistent. And, if you need other modern QoL features, you already have them when you use emulators.

Terra

Cipher
Better than releasing another Konami botch job, like the Silent Hill "HD" collection. So long as the end result is great, I can wait. Not like I haven't played these games untold times in the past.

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
Suikoden games do not have brothels . If so it would be considered one of the greatest on par with Witcher 3

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Suikoden II is worth playing just for the cooking minigame. Or at least that's how I felt back in the day on the PSX. Mobile gaming may have changed that now.
It kills me that cook-off minigame is actually limited by its own storyline rather than being infinitely replayable with randomly chosen judges and opponents.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Suikoden II is worth playing just for the cooking minigame. Or at least that's how I felt back in the day on the PSX. Mobile gaming may have changed that now.
It kills me that cook-off minigame is actually limited by its own storyline rather than being infinitely replayable with randomly chosen judges and opponents.
500%, I was so bummed when it ended, I wanted to replay it just to make more sweet omelets and stuff. :lol:

Thorakitai

Learned
The first Suikoden was the best. It was 15 hours long and felt like a weighty war epic. Lots of major character deaths. When you escaped from the crumbling castle and the montage of all of the character endings played with the mournful music playing, it felt like a lot had happened. There was a lot of sacrifice and loss to change things.

S2 is technically better (no more inventory micromanagement issues, better balance, better art, etc). However, Suikoden II was a 40 hour long game but only like 2 guys died, so when the ending montage plays you realize that pretty much everybody survived and lived happily ever after. It also retconned a couple character deaths from S1. It feels like the series got tamer as it went on. Then you reach S3 which was 65 hours long and literally only one guy died (during the first 5 hours) and you probably didn't like him either. The games got increasingly bloated but it felt like less and less happened. S5 killed more people off again but that game didn't feel weighty like S1 did.
Calling Suikoden II "tame" is rich when you have Luca Blight and his onscreen antics of butchering civilians, a certain traitor's decisive actions (Assassination, Helping Luca Blight capture fleeing refugees, him capturing a city with a deceptive tactic that involves releasing capture soldiers, so that the city's supply is depleted faster and the soldiers and the citizens fight each other) and lore regarding the City States of Jowston and the Kingdom of Highland is rather grim.

Sure, the main characters suffered less deaths but the nations are devastated as hell by the war.

Vyadhis

Learned

Is this from a recorded VHS or crt royale.s video? Looks excellent either way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom