Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sunk Cost Fallacy

one of the reasons, maybe even the main one, we have subscriptions everywhere these days: "i put money in it, i must use it", "but you're not even enjoying this show you're watching on netflix", "doesn't matter, i paid for it".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
one of the reasons, maybe even the main one, we have subscriptions everywhere these days: "i put money in it, i must use it", "but you're not even enjoying this show you're watching on netflix", "doesn't matter, i paid for it".

I don't do subscriptions because when I pay for something I want to own it forever.

I feel less obliged to actually play the game/read the book/watch the movie, I just want it to be in my library - digital or physical - forever and always. It's why I download cracks for DRM'd games I buy, so I can play them 20 years from now if the online DRM servers ever break down, even if I never actually wanna play it. It's just the archivist in me. I like to collect things and keep them.

That's why I have over 1300 games in my Steam library, a big folder with cracks, a big folder with old torrented games, a big folder of old DOS abandoware, a big folder of obscure Macintosh games, a big folder of GoG installers, a big folder of mods and maps for Tomb Raider, Thief, Doom, Quake, Neverwinter Nights, Total War... and I even keep the mods I don't like, just for archival purposes.
And while I tossed the boxes of games back in the 90s like a dumb retard, thinking they're just packaging, I kept all the disks in jewel cases, neatly arranged in a CD shelf. I also have a huge library of printed books, many of which I'll probably never read and just bought because the cover was nice or the book was old (anything pre-1900 is an insta buy for me just because it's old). I will never throw any of them away or sell them. They're mine, mine forever!

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Many examples in this topic of what is wrong with the West.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom