Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Supreme Commander

Mantiis

Cipher
and it's been going on strong as the only game in stores since 1998 thats still selling copies. I'm still playing it and am not horrified by the graphics, and IMO, it's the greatest game ever created in the universe. It's been 8 years since I've been playing, obviously someones done something right

Britany Spears is popular therefore she is better than any other artist.

TA is a different world to Starcraft; trying to compare the two is flawed. Starcraft is a rock paper scissor game whereas TA is closer to a war simulation. I am not saying it is a war simulation but it is closer to it. TA requires a little bit of effort from the player to be good at it, in Starcraft you just need to read a faq on build orders or watch a few replays.[/quote]

vrok

Liturgist
Mantiis said:
TA requires a little bit of effort from the player to be good at it, in Starcraft you just need to read a faq on build orders or watch a few replays.
Haha, that's rich. I guess the world tournaments in Starcraft are decided by who watched the most replays then? As the clueless fucking moron you so obviously are, you should stick to telling us about TA, not make shit up about Starcraft.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about Supreme Commander, not a bunch of clueless morons trying to bash Starcraft. If you don't like Starcraft that's fine. Just get it through your thick skulls that your clueless asses can't convince veteran Starcraft players that its gameplay is inferior to TA, especially not if they've played TA alot more than you've ever played Starcraft. Stick to what you know.

Mantiis

Cipher
vrok said:
Mantiis said:
TA requires a little bit of effort from the player to be good at it, in Starcraft you just need to read a faq on build orders or watch a few replays.
Haha, that's rich. I guess the world tournaments in Starcraft are decided by who watched the most replays then? As the clueless fucking moron you so obviously are, you should stick to telling us about TA, not make shit up about Starcraft.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about Supreme Commander, not a bunch of clueless morons trying to bash Starcraft. If you don't like Starcraft that's fine. Just get it through your thick skulls that your clueless asses can't convince veteran Starcraft players that its gameplay is inferior to TA, especially not if they've played TA alot more than you've ever played Starcraft. Stick to what you know.

You are so awesome at reading I want to be you with your awesome comprehension skills.

Did I say anything about top players in tournaments? Top players need good + fast mircro I did not mention anything about micro. I played Starcraft during the Beta, I played it for numerous years after it came out, I also played it while I played TA. Yes a build order is needed for a good player and if you watch replays you can observe strats being executed like a ling rush or tank/reaver drop or a mutalisk rush etc etc. Does this mean you are at the top level? No you penis of a man it does not but it means that your skill level increases by imitating other's strategy by observation.

When did i ever say I didn't like Starcraft? I was trying to point out that the games are very different; it is like trying to compare Fallout to Diablo - just because they are in the same genre does not mean that they are the same type of game.

But clearly that was all lost on you; take your fanboism go love Starcraft some more.

roguefrog

Liturgist
Starcraft = annoying micro-chores galore
TA = Really Cool Wargame

I probably played TA for six months before Starcraft was released. I tried SC, was appalled by all its..now legendary Blizzard RTS restrictions and unnecessary micromanagement. (i.e. unit limits, unit selection limits, queue limits) and other features I tend to hate. (A-move, pion system, upgrading, infinite velocity weapons) Suffice to say I went back to TA with the quickness after seeing the same linear build system, resource system, upgrade system, and restrictions as previous Blizzard RTSs.

TA is still alive and well too after 9 years, while it's no where near as popular as Starcraft, there are still people playing online, modding the game (easily the most modded RTS) etc. I can jump online and find a game of OTA in minutes. There's now more players too with the advent of TAspring. And TA's developer and publisher have been dead for years.

Some good TA mods can be found here. I recommend Absolute Annihilation

OT: Supreme Commander is the Next Generation TA. I can't wait to command a metric fuckton of units against an opponent with an equal force.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I have been pretty bored with the evolution of RTS gaming, but this game looks pretty interesting. One aspect that added to the drool factor was when ‘the guy’ said that the current map being played was 1/16th the size of their largest map. SHWING!!!

The downside: Everything seemed very automated during battle, but that’s a very unfair verdict since the footage was for demonstration purposes. We shall see.

vrok

Liturgist
Mantiis said:
Lame excuse for earlier moronic statement
Playing the reading comprehension card doesn't really work in your favor this time. No matter what excuse you type up, that statement was the thought of a moron. You need to fucking think before you type. That way you won't need people like me ridiculing you before you start to think "Hey, this lame ass statement of mine makes me sound like some kind of retard! I better type what I really meant instead!"

Mantiis said:
When did i ever say I didn't like Starcraft?
When did I ever say you didn't like Starcraft? OMG RE4D1NG C0MPR3HENS10N FOR TEH LOSE! I didn't. I simply called you a clueless moron. Clueless morons can like Starcraft too.

Did you get it this time? Think before you type.

Let them talk about Supreme Commander now so I have something interesting to read instead of me trashing you and your replies. I don't have a problem with people prefering TA over SC or people who hate both games or whatever. I do have a problem with stupid people making stupid statements, which is what this and my previous post is about and that's something you just can't throw the fanboy label on I'm afraid.

If you're thinking about posting another lame excuse right about now, don't bother. I won't reply anymore to your useless posts and I'm pretty sure most people here don't care if you try to rectify your damaged street cred by showing how you can counter this post in an equally lame fashion. The circus has ended, go away please.

Mantiis

Cipher
When did I ever say you didn't like Starcraft? OMG RE4D1NG C0MPR3HENS10N FOR TEH LOSE! I didn't. I simply called you a clueless moron. Clueless morons can like Starcraft too.

Ummm:

If you don't like Starcraft that's fine

If you scroll up to your post Mr. AwesomeComprehensionSkills you will find that in your awesome ramblings.

You have failed to point out what was wrong with my original post as everything stated there is true:

1. I got better at playing starcraft by watching replays
2. I knew build orders dependent on circumstances when I played
3. TA and Starcraft are not comperable.

Playing the reading comprehension card doesn't really work in your favor this time. No matter what excuse you type up... blah blah I am awesome

I think it works fine - make assumptions if you will but the post is still up there for reference.

OMG RE4D1NG C0MPR3HENS10N FOR TEH LOSE!

Congratulations you are almost as cool as KC; just post some Tubgirl and talk about your favorite gun, maybe racially vilify someone and you will be there.

If you're thinking about posting another lame excuse right about now, don't bother. I won't reply anymore to your useless posts and I'm pretty sure most people here don't care if you try to rectify your damaged street cred by showing how you can counter this post in an equally lame fashion. The circus has ended, go away please.

Sure I believe you. *wave*

roguefrog

Liturgist
Kos_Koa said:
The downside: Everything seemed very automated during battle, but that’s a very unfair verdict since the footage was for demonstration purposes. We shall see.

If you've played TA you would have a good idea, as the unit behavior looks very similar in the supcom videos. Units can handle themselves pretty well without you microing them.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
roguefrog said:
If you've played TA you would have a good idea, as the unit behavior looks very similar in the supcom videos. Units can handle themselves pretty well without you microing them.
Yeah, I've never played TA. I guess I am more accustomed to the micro-management aspect of RTS's, so it's hard to imagine units taking care of themselves. I should probably give TA a whirl to see if I would like Supreme Commander. It's made from the same people so it'll probably give me a good idea.

Based on the their website though, SC looks like a game I can really get into.

Section8

Cipher
Kos_Koa said:
roguefrog said:
Yeah, I've never played TA. I guess I am more accustomed to the micro-management aspect of RTS's, so it's hard to imagine units taking care of themselves. I should probably give TA a whirl to see if I would like Supreme Commander. It's made from the same people so it'll probably give me a good idea.

It sounds kind of goofy, but think Dungeon Siege with a whole army to command, hence making automation a necessity, rather than a way of making the gameplay completely passive.

oherror

Liturgist
i second that.....also when you say starcraft being played and bought all over take korea out and thats like 80 percent of that so that doesnt count....

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Section8 said:
It sounds kind of goofy, but think Dungeon Siege with a whole army to command, hence making automation a necessity, rather than a way of making the gameplay completely passive.
No, I get what you mean. I guess it depends on what kind of automation the player is capable of allowing his units to perform. With Supreme Commander, a player amassing units and constantly throwing them at the enemy seems like the only viable strategy, but of course, I haven’t played TA or similar games to justify my opinion. We'll see.

Also the abbreviation for Supreme Commander is SC, which will cause some confusion with people familiar with Starcraft. Would have been better if they called the game "Master Chief" instead. :lol:

roguefrog

Liturgist
I guess it depends on what kind of automation the player is capable of allowing his units to perform.

For TA, this depends on the following toggable unit behavior settings: (Note - seperate for every unit/offensive structure)

Engagement: Attack on Sight, Return Fire, Hold Fire
Movement: Roam, Maneuver, Hold Position

Each of those behavior options entails how the unit will respond when encountering the enemy. Units do not have to stop moving to fire their weapons. They do have to align their weapon with the target in order to fire. All weapon projectiles must also travel the distance to the target. Wreckage, rocks, trees, other units, whatever does get in the way of certain weapon types. Weapons also miss.

With Supreme Commander, a player amassing units and constantly throwing them at the enemy seems like the only viable strategy, but of course, I haven’t played TA or similar games to justify my opinion. We'll see

In TA throwing units at the enemy isn't always going get you the victory. It can also be a double edged sword. If they survive the attack, you just left a treasure trove of metal at their doorstep. Turtling is actually a viable strategy in TA with nukes and/or long ranged artillery. I can't count the number of times I've been beaten by a Bertha shelling my base from afar. The main thing with TA is using the right units for the job. For instance if the battlefield is covered in wreckage you want to use a unit that can fire over wreckage. If the entry point into the enemies base is too tight, you might want to go air and line-bomb it into oblivion, or overload the enemies anti-nuke defense with the 10 nukes silos you just built.

Azarkon

Arcane
vrok 1st post: Supreme Commander & TA are overrated. SC rules.
vrok 2nd post: I'm right, and I don't need to explain why because it's obvious. You're an idiot if you disagree with me.
vrok 3rd post: You guys don't know anything about RTS's I'm SC pro therefore I'm right. STFU.
vrok 4th post: Haha, you guys are RTS noobs. I'm outta here.

Amazing play of rhetoric there.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Kos_Koa said:
No, I get what you mean. I guess it depends on what kind of automation the player is capable of allowing his units to perform. With Supreme Commander, a player amassing units and constantly throwing them at the enemy seems like the only viable strategy, but of course, I haven’t played TA or similar games to justify my opinion. We'll see.

Also the abbreviation for Supreme Commander is SC, which will cause some confusion with people familiar with Starcraft. Would have been better if they called the game "Master Chief" instead. :lol:

Units in RTS games should have a bit of automation to them. They always should have had some. When enemies get in to range, they should attack the enemy units. When enemies are attacking a building near them, your units should defend the buildings near them automatically.

Of course, there should be controls on this. Hold Fire, Hold Position, things like that are needed. RTS games are supposed to be about strategy, the overall control and taking of the entire map. As such, units should be able to somewhat handle themselves on their own with minor orders issued.

roguefrog

Liturgist
I agree.

Popular RTS's like Blizzards have just burned the idea that RTSs should be about extensively micromanaging units in small groups.

RTSs should be more like TA, and from the looks of it even more so Supreme Commander. Simulated battles opposed to paper, rock, scissors and the focus on strategy. Like building long range artillery to shell the enemies forward position, or constructing a navy to exploit the waterways, or transports for faster troop movement to the frontlines rather than building the counter-unit and/or mircoing 12 units more effectively.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom