Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Swen Vincke reflects on the development of Div:OS, reveals that it's sold over half a million copies

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I can't help but crack a smile and congratulate Larian on a job well done, they took a pretty huge risk that ultimately paid off. Considering the strong word-of-mouth, combined with relatively widespread critical acclaim, D:OS is bound to have legs, generating decent profits for years to come. Whether it does well enough in the long term to warrant a Serpent Isle-esque expansion remains to be seen, but for now, it's reassuring to gain insight into the rather optimistic, if somewhat cautious, view of the studio's prospects Sven has been kind enough to provide.

By the way, you're treading on dangerous ground here, Volourn...

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Rougey your brand of retardness and overall lack of any worldy experience besides jerking off (or stuffing one of your orifices, be it the case) to Sawyer image you come of even more like a basketcase. Marketing means having focus groups, opinions, PR reps in conventions as well as the usualy mainstream tools in TV, advertising and even low brow stuff like youtube banners etc.
Could you show D OS having ANY of those you retarded little trash troll?

Weasel
WTF? Do people now think Roguey is also Volourn?

Not only does Sawyer design games and post on numerous forums, he also wakes up at 4am to log into his Roguey account... then relaxes with a few "Roofles" posts as Volourn. Personally, I suspect he makes use of a couple of interns to help him out with this demanding schedule.

Vincke and Barnson are boasting a bit prematurely, half-a-mil isn't going to make most publishers turn their heads, do a double-take, and give their best impression of the Tex Avery wolf in Red Hot Riding Hood. The return of the mid-budget single-A is welcome of course.

Who gives a shit about publishers anymore ? What matters is if game is created or not. Also 5mln€ is not even A game now. Middle budget is something more like 25-40mln now where AAA games can be at 40-50mln+. And that is not even counting marketing which is often many times bigger than dev cost.
Developers thanks to DD finally can cut middleman and eat all profits creating portfolio of games that can sustain them even if they will take 2-3 bad games.

DOS

they sold in two months 500k coppies. Game costed around 5mln€ to make.
If you can count:

500k * 30€ = 15 000 000 € - 30% steam cut = 10 500 000€ probably some taxes (if they are profitable).
In two months they got whole game dev budget + ton of money to devide it for them-self and investors.

And that is just two months without any sale. RPGs have very strong legs and most of them are still bought well over decade (especially if game is good). With few more months they could easily fund not one game but even two games that cost 5mln€. And that is funding game alone without investors or KS. If they would again reach to KS and investors to partially fund their next game they could as well do 3-4 games.

Next up is team experience in DOS creation and tools/toolset they created and have experience in. Cost of creating DOS2 should be a way lower than DOS due to team getting experience in creation of that game, better workflow and so on. That is naturally if game will be same content wise but i bet they will make it even bigger.

So they are boasting because they should. They secured their future on market creating RPG for almost next decade with, they build actually community around their game and with glowing reviews from users DOS2 should be smash hit.

All of that with measly 500k on steam.

PoE

On other hand DOS experience and Vinke post tells us much about what is coming to Obsidian in near future. Because they got 4mln$ they have bigger fanbase and game is much more talked about (same with W2). Later part about experience and toolset also does count for Obsidian so making PoE2 should be faster/better/cheaper same content wise. If they sell 1mln in 2 months it will secure PoE2 and 3 and could be enough to set whole Obsidian on self funded RPGs without Armored warfare bullshit or sucking publishers money making dick.

Obisdian with 2-3 ind. RPGs like PoE should be profitable enough for their size.

W2

And finally Wasteland 2 which also generated money and backers + more media coverage. After DOS it is pretty safe to say that they will also secure their nearest future and that future will be full of RPGs. Even if W2 will be good to mediacore they can always improve and i don't see problems with their team trying to for example put in cinematics at cost of gameplay.
Don't forget that while DOS cost €5 million, a fifth of that was crowdfunded.

Also wondering whether some of these games have surpassed their 'peak backer numbers', where backer numbers eat too heavily into the total fanbase, and consequently over-estimate eventual sales. This seemed to be a factor in the middling 1st week sales for Broken Age. Hard to unpack that one until we see the broader trend. Word of mouth was mediocre, but wouldn't have had much impact on 1st week sales of a single player adventure game, and the kickstarter was so ubiquitous in the traditional adventure game community that it gave the impression that most of the potential customer base were already inside the kickstarter. Rpgs are a larger market segment, but there would still be a point for each game where the number of customers lost to their own kickstarter campaign outstrips the new customers brought onboard by the word of mouth that the kickstarter produces.

Not only does Sawyer design games and post on numerous forums, he also wakes up at 4am to log into his Roguey account... then relaxes with a few "Roofles" posts as Volourn. Personally, I suspect he makes use of a couple of interns to help him out with this demanding schedule.

Nah, he's got more time on his hands now that he's retired all his Qwinn accounts.

Perkel

Arcane
Also wondering whether some of these games have surpassed their 'peak backer numbers', where backer numbers eat too heavily into the total fanbase, and consequently over-estimate eventual sales. This seemed to be a factor in the middling 1st week sales for Broken Age. Hard to unpack that one until we see the broader trend. Word of mouth was mediocre, but wouldn't have had much impact on 1st week sales of a single player adventure game, and the kickstarter was so ubiquitous in the traditional adventure game community that it gave the impression that most of the potential customer base were already inside the kickstarter. Rpgs are a larger market segment, but there would still be a point for each game where the number of customers lost to their own kickstarter campaign outstrips the new customers brought onboard by the word of mouth that the kickstarter produces.

No way. DOS had 19,541 backers + ~ 50000 people from Early Access and yet they sold 500k

PoE had 73,986 backers and they won't be doing EA. Obsidian is also by far more known dev than Larian so i will be surprised if they won't reach 1mln in one month or more.

Perkel

Arcane
I don't really give a fuck what it is.

If for example PoE won't sell even one coppy i will still pledge toward PoE2.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The overall feel and impression I got from this blog post was disappointment and defeat. It's like their foray into being independent and making 'what they wanted' didn't quite pan out into what they (Swen) hoped it would be.

Did I miss something here? I guess I expected a very enthusiastic and victorious account, but ended up with the feeling "we tried and we KIND OF succeeded"."
Man, pay attention that he gets especially depressed as when he mention his wife and how he is happy she is still with him. I don't think the problem was exactly the game...:lol:

set

Cipher

They share much in common, it's pretty fucking suspicious to be honest. Both of them try their hardest to live up to the act they've created for themselves. Both of them are idiots with some kernel of knowledge lodged in their brain that ocassionally rears its head. Both of them are retards. Both of them post here and have for some time. Both of them stlak other forums (aka Obsidian forums) where they are just as obsessive. Both of them are consistently crazy. Both of them troll in similar patterns. I'm sure if you did a grammar/speech analysis, aside from purposefully mispelled words on Volourn's part...

A user named cat

Dammit, I still haven't played D:OS. When is it going on sale? I haven't spent over $20 on a game since like the late 1990's and I've always liked Larian too much to remove it from inventory.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dammit, I still haven't played D:OS. When is it going on sale? I haven't spent over $20 on a game since like the late 1990's and I've always liked Larian too much to remove it from inventory.
I have a spare key if you want it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Let's talk about obsessiveness. Set is so obssess with Roguey and myself he had to post his spam twice. LMFAO

DOS is extremely hyped. the vat majority of games don't get tv ads. In fact, I'd wager maybe 1% do. DOS was hyped A LOT. Plus, Larian aren't a bunch of loser newbies. They've been around for awhile with plenty of success. They have a sizeable customer base. FFS

A user named cat

I have a spare key if you want it.
As great as that sounds, I wouldn't really expect you or anyone to just give away a key for a $40 game to a random person.

A user named cat

Just to make this public and awkward, ERYFKRAD did hook me up with a D:OS key. What a true patron. Who says the Codex is full of bastards? :obviously:

TheGreatOne

Arcane
"it sold well for a game that had no marketing whatsoever."
It had lots of marketing. FFS
DOS is extremely hyped. the vat majority of games don't get tv ads. In fact, I'd wager maybe 1% do. DOS was hyped A LOT.
You need to open up a dictionary and look up the word marketing. When Final Fantasy 7 adverts were plastered on busses all over the world, that's marketing. When every convenience store you go to sells World of Warcraft Mountain Dew and Halo 4 Doritos, that's marketing. When a site called RPG codex writes an article about this upcoming RPG and subsequently a lot of people say "that game looks good", that's not marketing.

Knut

Educated
let's not fool ourselves, even bioware has better content than larian as it stands, the game falls apart after the first map.

dos is only good for the positive attention and hopefully a push toward the resurgence of quality rpgs. if pillars and torment don't flop the future could be bright!

buzz

Arcane
I don't know about D:OS but I'd put any Larian game above anything Bioware did that's not Baldur's Gate or Hordes of the Underdark. Even Beyond Divinity is better than the shit they've did.

Knut

Educated
it is debatable, i admit.

but that whole "chosen ones fighting against chaos dragon" and that astarte nonsense... larian was focused on mechanic, which was a good thing, but that whole storyboard should have make it past the first pitch, let alone into the game itself.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
I believe this Kunt Knut guy already deserve a 'retarded' tag after just 36 or so posts.... Congrats....

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The truth hurts right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom