Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Swordhaven: Iron Conspiracy - BG1-inspired low fantasy RPG From the ATOM TEAM

Üstad

Arcane
Hopefully they can inject some style and depth into this game

ATOM felt very flat and sterile
Non existent combat depth, skill-stats checks being passed with consumables really sucked. Why on earth they borrowed bad parts of fallout?

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
it's def gonna be a game where we run a medieval mercenary company with 'crafting' and 'camping' and a 'campaign' a la battle bros and wartales and low magic age and dead monarchy and iron oath? those seem kinda popular...yes i have mentioned this already

PlayerEmers

Novice

tbh I find these posts that they are making kinda weird.
this is something that new/unkown devs would do to gather some following, but they already got some followers from ATOM (and Trudograd). its looks too early to show in-engine stuff...the early posts about concept art/ui are fine tho.

Jinn

Arcane
I think it's simply because they are going with an entirely new setting. They're probably prepping their existing fans for the shift and trying to gather a little more interest from people who have maybe heard of them, but didn't ultimately didn't like post-apocalyptic settings.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Atom was good. Not excellent, but good.

It can feel like "cheap" fallout clone at least on the surface but for me it had its own identity. The way the dialogue is written and how the characters express themselves is distinctively russian, like how fallout is unmistakably american.

By trugodrad, it evolved into something better by almost every measure. Still wouldn't call it amazing or a masterpiece, but it's great.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

It can feel like "cheap" fallout clone at least on the surface but for me it had its own identity. The way the dialogue is written and how the characters express themselves is distinctively russian, like how fallout is unmistakably american.

By trugodrad, it evolved into something better by almost every measure. Still wouldn't call it amazing or a masterpiece, but it's great.

I thought ATOM RPG was decent, but I found Trudograd to be a step back. Most notably, introducing the "special armor" turned the combat from bad to completely pointless.

The one improvement I did notice is that the writing/story/dialog is more comprehensible to people who weren't born in Slavlandia. Though in every dialog I still felt like my character was being an asshole to every elderly person.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Loved atom and trudograd so i'll probably get this regardless.

low magic > high fantasy for me.

Atom blew AOD out of the water so it will be good to play a low magic rpg that isn't a CYOA.
Thanks! I dunno about AOD tho, did we ever compete even? We love AOD a whole lot, one of the all time favorites and IMO nothing like Atom! A completely different thing, though maybe it did sprout from common roots! We hope all ATOM fans also gave AOD a go.

The other games had this melancholic feeling about exploring a death land. This one feels like the start of an epic tale and I love it.

Well, maybe it won't be epic... We try to rid our story of global consequences "save the world" style. Maybe save a small country... But it will sure feel like a jolly adventure, already somewhat does. Much less sadness all around.

Lots of folks say we went overboard with style for ATOM, while some don't feel any. So it's hard to predict how the new game will seem to folks. I guess it'll polarize as well, but maybe not so much, because our new setting isn't something familiar. It's dare I say it kinda original.

Non existent combat depth, skill-stats checks being passed with consumables really sucked. Why on earth they borrowed bad parts of fallout?
It'll feature a completely new type of combat, but what's wrong with consumables? If you're drinking or eating something before an important convo, you're roleplaying! I think it's neat. As long as we don't let them get almost 10 in every stat from eating stuff like it happened in ATOM ;D

I don't know. I wanted to like it but I couldn't get into ATOM. It's a cheap Fallout clone imo.
No it's not! Ackhtually it's a reasonably priced clone of Fallout clones. We share much more DNA with things akin to some kind of "Planet Alcatraz" than we do Fallout. All the folks saying it's a fallout clone cheapen the actual creation process which consists of regurgitating fallout & wishing to make your own fallout but about something more familiar to you like 90's CIS. If we'd outright clone Fallout, I'd be living in a solid gold house right now.

It's just... a fucking forest. What's the point? This is worse than Encased "updates" I swear.

tbh I find these posts that they are making kinda weird.
this is something that new/unkown devs would do to gather some following, but they already got some followers from ATOM (and Trudograd). its looks too early to show in-engine stuff...the early posts about concept art/ui are fine tho.

I think it's simply because they are going with an entirely new setting. They're probably prepping their existing fans for the shift and trying to gather a little more interest from people who have maybe heard of them, but didn't ultimately didn't like post-apocalyptic settings.
It's waaaay more simple than all that. The secret is we still don't have a PR person who knows what's proper to show at what stage of development and what's not. We're just some guys. We were collaborating on some art before, so we posted art. We got a new song from the song guy, so we posted a song. We made a forest trail, so we posted a forest trail. Marketing & making it look professional and pretty and desirable by the average gamer, especially in this scary modern age where everything changed from the times when I PRed ATOM RPG, is beyond us. Tho we don't really see it as a flaw per-se. It's kind of honest in a way isn't it? Like, this forest will actually be in the game. (Maybe minus the road texture and some minor details) it doesn't promise anything that won't be in the game. We show what we do! If we showed it, it'll probably be there in some way or another! Next time we're sharing, we'll probably work on something more exciting, like combat anims.

Thanks man! Like I said, way more of a love letter to jank, than to the OG. And proud of it!

I thought ATOM RPG was decent, but I found Trudograd to be a step back. Most notably, introducing the "special armor" turned the combat from bad to completely pointless.

The one improvement I did notice is that the writing/story/dialog is more comprehensible to people who weren't born in Slavlandia. Though in every dialog I still felt like my character was being an asshole to every elderly person.
Combat is something we reworked from the ground up for the upcoming title, like we wished (but couldn't) for Trudograd, so no worries there. But the elderly abuse is something new entirely! Why do you think that? We never went out of our way to abuse the elderly! Unless they're Hexogen. But Hexogen likes it this way. He's a champ.

it's def gonna be a game where we run a medieval mercenary company with 'crafting' and 'camping' and a 'campaign' a la battle bros and wartales and low magic age and dead monarchy and iron oath? those seem kinda popular...yes i have mentioned this already
Nope, not this time. Though personally I'd love to get into a game like that sometimes. I said it before I'll say it again, I love BB, it's super good. But not the thing we wanna go for this time.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But the elderly abuse is something new entirely! Why do you think that? We never went out of our way to abuse the elderly! Unless they're Hexogen. But Hexogen likes it this way. He's a champ.

I'm an American. It might be different for other English-speaking places, but directly calling someone "old man" or "geezer" tends to be disrespectful unless you're close to the person and using it playfully.

Also, I've literally never encountered the term "oldster" before playing ATOM RPG.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hopefully realistic armour and weapon designs will follow the low-magic style - that's one way to make it look more distinct in the sea of generic fantasy.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Y'all got any more of them

bPNt2sB.jpg

magic pow-ders?

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Atomboy what about the most important feature of your games, the amazing portraits, will they be kept in tradition?
Atomboy what about the portraits?

As you can see I really love the portraits of the ATOM games and I'm thrilled to see what kind of portraits will be featured in your upcoming title. Will they be in the same style?

When you released ATOM RPG Trudograd you also released a Supporter Pack for people who wanted to support you further. I just had the idea that the supporter pack for your next RPG, if you intend to have one, could be a Portrait Pack, where you take most of the portraits from ATOM and Trudograd and create fantasy versions of them. Like for instance I would love to see how the man on my current avatar would look in a fantasy setting. Infact I would love to see how all of the lovely persons on the portraits of your previous games would look in a fantasy land, their new garments and haircuts.

What do you think about that? Portrait Pack as a day one DLC for people who want to support you?

e: Also saw that you didn't comment on chain-mail bikinis...

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
But magic :(

Edit: It seems I chose the most unfortunate positioning for my post. Or most fortunate, depending on your point of view. Nobody will probably believe me now, but I really wasn't referring to the picture beforehand with poor grammar. I wasn't. Really! For real-real!

Last edited:

quaesta

Educated
This cover is awesome. Runic writing, three coat of arms, and the hawk looks cool (dog looks too derpy, reminds me of me). Looking forward to the game!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom