Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Swords and Sorcery – Underworld Gold Released

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
How about Devil's Whiskey? On Gamersgate at $25 and hundreds of reviews from buyers.
it was in several of the gamersgate indie bundles for much much much less than that, which is the only reason why it has any reviews at all.
btw, the game came out 10 years ago, the original devs went kaputt and were desperate enough to sell all their rights off to declin's domain, which constantly struggles and almost went under a couple of times itself despite trying everything to minimize costs.

if anything, the game is a prime example on how not to price and release/advertise your game.
Like Winter Voices for example, whose devs went bankrupt last year despite being on Steam around the $5 mark.
no big loss there, judging by the codex let's play.
also i am fairly sure that it was an episodic game and each episode was supposed to cost five bucks and be rather short, if i recall the let's play correctly.
either way it's a good example of the 5 bucks tag not being something that carries a game entirely on its own. people will not buy an uninteresting game even at 5 bucks, especially not an episodic one.

anyhoo, you could go into general gaming and read through the steam savings and indie bundle threads. they should give you a pretty good insight into how typical buyers behave and at which point they decide that it becomes worth risking buying a shitty game.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
I ran a test. I knocked it down to $9.95 for an hour or so without saying anything. Just to see, with moderate traffic from a forum I didn't know which had just linked to it if it would trigger anythng out of the ordinary. Note that there hadn't been any sales for a few hours. Nothing happened. So the test is inconclusive until I look up the GoG wishlist page, which had gotten +15 votes.

I'm gonna have a bit of fresh air and think this over. Again.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
How are things going with GOG by the way? Any interest from them? Many indies they sell now had much less wishlist activity before suddenly appearing on GOG. 140 votes in less than a month is no joke for an indie game there.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
How are things going with GOG by the way? Any interest from them? Many indies they sell now had much less wishlist activity before suddenly appearing on GOG. 140 votes in less than a month is no joke for an indie game there.

Nothing yet but I don't expect them to contact me. I figured I'd do it when I have enough votes and other arguments like those they like to hear. Articles. I have a press release coming out Monday (Friday is bad, or so I read). I don't think contacting them now with 140 votes would work. Then again press releases don't work either.

Clearly on Gog the price debate would be settled. They would not carry it at $20. And I don't think I'd need it to be at that price if the exposure there is good (it could also be buried, never be suggested as an upsell...)

But then again as of today the answer is still no regardless of price.

3 more votes and another sale as I am writing this. Clearly this is all too erratic to be used as a basis for decision-making. My traffic isn't significant enough.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd been waiting for the Gold update to try this out. I'm not much of a graphics whore but the original appearance and UI was... not great. That being said I had a great time with the demo and just bought the full version.

Is there anywhere I can find information on the attributes and their relation to the classes? Or should I basically be looking at old Might and Magic manuals? I noticed the attributes seemed to be similar or maybe even a 1:1 correlation...

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Regarding sale prices - I didn't even know you had a sale. I bought it at $20. I don't know, I figure it's a reasonable price for what seems to be a decent game. Grimrock's what? $15 and I enjoyed the free demo for Underworld more than I did the full version of Grimrock. YMMV.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
That wasn't a sale but a very quick test in a moment of doubt. I hate everything about pricing. It looks like I'm "maximizing profit". I don't like looking that way but am not thrilled by the idea of 1/2 price leading to -40% off a pretty limited score to begin with. Again my analysis may be wrong. Anyway I'll try to get it off my mind again.

mediocrepoet Thanks for your support!

For the attributes it goes as follows:

Strength determines damage score.
Strength and accuracy determine distance damage score.
Accuracy determines hit probability for both distance and melee attacks and thievery score.
Endurance determines hp gain when levelling and adds 20% of its value to armor score.
Intelligence determines spell power for sorcerer.
Spirit determines spell power for priest.

Thievery has some impact on assassination score. It is greater for ranged assassination. This compounds the importance of accuracy for rogues a bit.

The correlation to the classes is pretty straight forward, knowing each class's role in the party.

Two or three people have asked me this but in time I forgot to add it to the manual. I'll have it in the first patch.

Barghest sorry about that.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Jaesun For all I know he's from Haiti and $20 is a week's salary. I hate pricing. I wanna win the lottery and make it free.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Charles-cgr I try to be untraceable
ninjafin.gif

Anyway keep up the good work !

By the way is The Brazilian Slaughter aware of this game ?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Man been playing this for FOUR HOURS. Between playing yesterday and today I FINALLY can...... kinda survive the Catacombs..... heh

Repressed Homosexual
Damn. If I knew it was selling for $9.99 I would have bought it.

Knowing it's back to $19.99 has put me off buying now...

Noooooooooooooo I would have to pay 10$ more for a game, woe is me!!!!!!!

For what it's worth, I bought it when it cost closer to 30$: and I didn't feel cheated all.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Allright Mr. Charles-cgr. What is the hell is the deal with the LOL IMMA Immune to all Physical attacks (except Assassination) Mummies?

:rpgcodex:

But they're not. You're just a weakling :). Their bandages are quite tough though.

So you're just going to have to make do with what works, or come back a bit later to have an easier time with them. But what will you be missing out on if you do?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Allright Mr. Charles-cgr. What is the hell is the deal with the LOL IMMA Immune to all Physical attacks (except Assassination) Mummies?

:rpgcodex:

But they're not. You're just a weakling :). Their bandage are quite tough though.

So you're just going to have to make do with what works, or come back a bit later to have an easier time with them. But what will you be missing out on if you do?

OH FFS! :P OK fine I'll probably go check some other stuff out then instead. I was thinking it was related to equipment, not level (and stats). But that's fine.

Thank you sir. :salute:

Morkar Left

Damn, I'm stuck with a netbook here...

The game runs but has some weird graphical glitches like walls not fitting together etc. which makes the game not really playable. Will have to wait till I have a new system.
As far as I can say the optimizations in the code are recognizable. The old version was unplayable regarding to gamespeed.

Jaesun For all I know he's from Haiti and $20 is a week's salary. I hate pricing. I wanna win the lottery and make it free.

I should retire there!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom