Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition by Nightdive Studios

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I don't understand why this game needs an "enhanced edition". You just need one fan patch to get it to run nicely on modern systems.
  1. This will very likely be released to consoles as well
  2. Most people don't like having to buy a game and then needing to search for and install unofficial software to get said game to properly run
  3. There will be a VR version and improved online functionalities
4. They'll do something retarded like double the length of the Body of the Many.

Trithne

Erudite
I don't understand why this game needs an "enhanced edition". You just need one fan patch to get it to run nicely on modern systems.
  2. Most people don't like having to buy a game and then needing to search for and install unofficial software to get said game to properly run
4. They'll do something retarded like double the length of the Body of the Many.
Could be worse - They could double the length of Where Am I?

God I hate Where Am I?

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Regarding point 1: I hadn't thought of that and I guess it makes sense. However, they will have to overhaul the controls completely and add auto aim to make the game work on console. I'm not sure whether it will play nicely on a console even with these adjustment as it is very much a PC game.
Regarding point 2: That's right and I wish that GOG would just preinstall the most relevant fan patches or give you a selection of mods which you can toggle during the installation.
Regarding point 3: What kind of "online functionalities" do you mean exactly? I wasn't even aware that System Shock 2 had any.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
System Shock 2 is still one of my most favorite games. I backed the System Shock Remaster and am still going through it. I liked their approach and care of the original and would pretty much expect the same. And the new models still being faithful to the original look fine, and they are pretty minor tweaks. Which is fine. Looking forward to see how this turns out.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
However, they will have to overhaul the controls completely and add auto aim to make the game work on console.
SS2 isn't that heavy on aiming reflexes to necessitate auto-aim and modern console controller also have motion controls to help
But I guess they could still implement it

Regarding point 3: What kind of "online functionalities" do you mean exactly?
Online co-op, at least (which then when the VR version comes out, it will have cross-play with non-VR players)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You may need to remind some people that System Shock 2 had multiplayer co-op.

It's almost as forgotten as Deus Ex's multiplayer mode.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Correct me if I'm wrong
But even at launch they barely worked right?
If so, it's not difficult to see why they're not remembered even by fans

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Regarding point 1: I hadn't thought of that and I guess it makes sense. However, they will have to overhaul the controls completely and add auto aim to make the game work on console. I'm not sure whether it will play nicely on a console even with these adjustment as it is very much a PC game.

I have SS2 from GOG installed on my Steam Deck with a custom steam input profile that only uses the generic gamepad buttons (no touch, no gyro, no pads) and it works perfectly fine, you don't even really need autoaiming. Even the GUI mode works fine, you just move the cursor around with the right stick (a virtual cursor is something many games have anyway).

If they have the source they can certainly make something that works perfectly on any gamepad with little change to the original controls.

5. They will break NewDark's Squirrel and DML support so that more complex mods don't work anymore, because Kex is a weird/unstable engine and they probably don't have NewDark source on account of it being a weird third-party effort with no public source code available.
6. All the normies will play the enhanced edition because "what's a fan patch?" and the SS2 modding scene will go even more underground and be even less popular than it already is.

I guess the only positive outcome is it will stop people playing fucking Secmod.

VR is fucking lame and gay.
For this, probably. Arizona Sunshine is some good clean fun.

TRUE.

VR works great for dedicated VR games (duh!)

But slapping VR on System Shock 2 seems like a very bad idea for a multitude of reasons.

If they have the source they can certainly make something that works perfectly on any gamepad with little change to the original controls.

They won't, though.

If I could describe NightDive in 1 word, it would be: Lazy.

If I could use two words, it would be: Shite Arse.

Regarding point 2: That's right and I wish that GOG would just preinstall the most relevant fan patches or give you a selection of mods which you can toggle during the installation.

Can we call these "fan patches" what they are? They are gameplay mods. SCP b4 especially adds a whole buttload of really questionable gameplay decisions (unpowered power armour gives equal protection to light armour, removed cold damage resistance from midwives, laser rapier does a combination of energy and incendiary damage so it's really good against organics, grenade damage is unaffected by Heavy skill so there's no scaling, and much more). It's important that people know this because you're NOT getting an authentic fan patch when you play SCP, and if more people complained about this, perhaps the SCP devs would consider adding less poorly thought out garbage to their mod.

Last edited:

ZylonBane

Novice
SCP b4 especially adds a whole buttload of really questionable gameplay decisions (unpowered power armour gives equal protection to light armour, removed cold damage resistance from midwives, laser rapier does a combination of energy and incendiary damage so it's really good against organics, grenade damage is unaffected by Heavy skill so there's no scaling, and much more).
You'll be "happy" to know that most of these have been removed or reduced in Beta 5. Unpowered powered armor now only gives 10% protection (half that of light armor). Laser rapier now only does energy damage. Grenade damage bonuses from player skill and weapon mods have been restored, and extended to proximity grenades, which previously didn't receive any bonuses even in vanilla.

Midwives aren't getting back their cold resistance though. Neither fully mechanical nor fully organic enemies in SS2 have cold resistance, so for midwives (which are internally categorized as "half-mechanical") to have cold resistance made no damn sense, both from a logic and lore perspective. There are seven damage vulnerability sets in the game for all the various combinations of mechanical/human/annelid enemy types, and half-mechanical was the only one with cold resistance, so this was most likely a mistake. Especially considering the research for midwife organs states "Due to the half-mechanical nature of this creature, incendiary and anti-personnel weapons will be fairly ineffective", indicating if anything a resistance to heat, not cold.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom