Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition by Nightdive Studios

randir14

Augur
A new screenshot

Judging by the intricate geometry, this is not a screenshot from the enhanced edition, but the tacit announcement of a full-blown remake.

I don't know. They've shown updated character models before, and in a recent interview Stephen Kick mentioned "if we potentially do a System Shock 2 remake in the future" which implies they aren't already working on one.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
A new screenshot

Judging by the intricate geometry, this is not a screenshot from the enhanced edition, but the tacit announcement of a full-blown remake.

I don't know. They've shown updated character models before, and in a recent interview Stephen Kick mentioned "if we potentially do a System Shock 2 remake in the future" which implies they aren't already working on one.

The updated models models still retain a retro look. The number of polygons was increased by 3-5 times, but no more. Just like in their recent Quake remaster.

And in this screenshot, we are already dealing with a 10x or even 100x increase in geometry complexity. Not to mention that the rendering is nothing like what it was in the Dark Engine. It could have just been seriously upgraded, of course, but I have a feeling it's already the Unreal Engine. I would say that this is not yet a phase of actual development, but rather a proof of concept.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's not going to be "on" the Dark Engine, the SS2 Remaster will be on the KEX Engine like all of their other remasters (even Quake 1's remaster technically isn't "on" idtech). But no, that image posted above is definitely not full remake levels, it is much more likely to be just the remaster with a way higher poly count for models.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
more screenshots from:
https://www.pcgamer.com/system-shoc...aracters-and-weapon-models-have-been-updated/
Mk9akCJz4bFTbKUVr5qRv.jpg

3hkWV2qG8JVgN9DCujrF9.jpg

w2L7vKDKUdsd3ixjNJsaxn.jpg

3B9hzKUGmGEAGbdVZbiTPn.jpg

e6nHNDRhjPAY5FG2DUUWE9-970-80.jpg

at least it's not like a doll in one of these retexturing mods...
like this one
16548.jpg

anyway
HxwgEZUwJXNDhSr42p9BTC-970-80.jpg
tStMasNCEyJfRdh7uZ6iq9-970-80.jpg
YGiCNas7vMRjuuDqSaPjCB-970-80.jpg
et2uZvPogRQoUEmh9HHcZB-970-80.jpg

PzX83YDfnW4guWuoZ5qDJD-970-80.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition was created with the goal of reverse engineering the original code to port SS2 to the KEX Engine and made available on next-generation consoles for the first time.

Nightdive Studios has also partnered with the systemshock.org community to integrate all the best mods and updates.

All cinematics, textures, characters and weapon models have been updated, and the Co-Op Multiplayer has been overhauled to create a seamless experience.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
the goal of reverse engineering the original code to port SS2 to the KEX Engine and made available on next-generation consoles for the first time.
how it will control on the consoles?
Kinda ironic that ND brings old fossil to next gen machines that lacks games. Even though MS and Sony have a truckload of games they can re-release with better resolution and framerate but nope - ND to the rescure.
What a pathetic timeline

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
the goal of reverse engineering the original code to port SS2 to the KEX Engine and made available on next-generation consoles for the first time.
how it will control on the consoles?
Kinda ironic that ND brings old fossil to next gen machines that lacks games. Even though MS and Sony have a truckload of games they can re-release with better resolution and framerate but nope - ND to the rescure.
What a pathetic timeline

It was going to be on the Dreamcast.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So they're actually just using the community mod (with permission) for the weapon models (and selling it) instead of remodeling them themselves like they are for the enemies? I was hoping we'd at least see another interpretation of them if they are redoing the models for everything else.

Trithne

Erudite
I think Eldron is doing basically all the work on this, so the weapons are his anyway?

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
What happened to Blade Runner's edition?
They butchered it by running it through AI Upscaling and calling it a day. It ended up looking worse than the original game.

Seeing SS2:Enhanced in motion, I'm wondering what the hell the point was, it doesn't look that much drastically different to the original which I have already, as in its not high enough resolution to justify this. And it sickens me to say it (fuck you Zylon) but Rebirth looks better.

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think Eldron is doing basically all the work on this, so the weapons are his anyway?
Did not know it was the same modder doing work on the enhanced edition, just figured it was some Nightdive skeleton crew working with kaiser.

I think the new enemies look better than the weapons do, if I'm being honest. I am looking forward to seeing the most high fidelity 3D model of shodan to date (during her boss fight), since I'm assuming the SS1 remake won't have that since she was never shown in such a fashion in the original.

Trithne

Erudite
What happened to Blade Runner's edition?
They butchered it by running it through AI Upscaling and calling it a day. It ended up looking worse than the original game.

Seeing SS2:Enhanced in motion, I'm wondering what the hell the point was, it doesn't look that much drastically different to the original which I have already. And it sickens me to say it (fuck you Zylon) but Rebirth looks better.
I disagree that rebirth looks better (but can always get behind "fuck you Zylon"). Rebirth's models are chunky and look bloated in my opinion, these look a lot more what I would want from an EE - smoothed out the notoriously sharp "we vastly underestimated the Dark Engine's poly limit" models and make some nice textures.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
In the old games, I take my graphics as they used to be, thank you very much, and I don't like remakes as much as the next elitist boomer, but truth be told, rehashes and remakes gather newer audiences and create some chances for long-gone IP continuations as well.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Rebirth's models are chunky and look bloated in my opinion
I do very much agree with that (I do have to be careful though because I don't want to be a hypocritical fuckwit like Zylon who said negative things about HDTP/NV), I'm mainly looking at it from the texture work. I think that EE hasn't gone far enough in the upscale (look at the blood splatter) to justify the time gap between Rebirth and EE. I mean they are asking money for this... so yeah I'm going to be harsh. Come on damn it. Also could it have troubled you for some normal maps?

Trithne

Erudite
Rebirth's models are chunky and look bloated in my opinion
I do very much agree with that (I do have to be careful though because I don't want to be a hypocritical fuckwit like Zylon who said negative things about HDTP/NV), I'm mainly looking at it from the texture work. I think that EE hasn't gone far enough in the upscale (look at the blood splatter) to justify the time gap between Rebirth and EE. I mean they are asking money for this... so yeah I'm going to be harsh. Come on damn it. Also could it have troubled you for some normal maps?
I haven't watched the video, and I'd really want to see them in the game itself to be sure, but I'll admit that I'm a sucker for just having decent textures on some decent brushwork/models.

I felt that Source was more or less the pinnacle of graphics and we could've stopped there just fine personally, so I'm probably just having low standards.

Yosharian

Arcane
What the fuck. Looks exactly like the original. I suppose that's fine, but don't expect me to pay actual money for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom