Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock: games with similar mood and atmosphere

Yldri

Arbiter

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Doom 3 is even more turdastic than Dead Space and they share the shitty "enter room get ambushed by zombies, repeat" design so maybe you'll like Dead Space.

My suggestion is Alien VS Predator 2. FPS with incredible horror atmosphere and good design.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Necrovision?
World War 1 Nazi zombies. Arcadish tho with combos but has a nice old school shooter feel to it.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If you loved System Shock 2, you'll probably end up liking Dead Space. Of course it's not as good, but it is fun, scary, and does a nice job of recreating that type of atmosphere.

TripJack

Hedonist
My suggestion is Alien VS Predator 2. FPS with incredible horror atmosphere and good design.
yeah the marine campaign in that is pretty good, though it does suffer from the same predictable monster in the closet schtick as doom 3

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
If you liked Doom 3, you will probably like Dead Space as well. In many ways it's the game Doom 3 wanted to be, and a very obvious homage to SS2 (often down to the levels and objectives).

Aside from that, I don't know. Penumbra has the atmosphere you're looking for, but it's a horror adventure game with (intentionally) awkward combat, and has neither RPG elements nor any real resource management.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Dead Space is excellent. It isn't scary at all, but it's action horror rather than survival horror, so that's to be expected by people who aren't idiots. DS1 is really the only one that attempts an isolated, claustrophobic sort of attitude, but both it and DS2 have great shooting mechanics that rely on situational awareness and enemy prioritization. They're also extremely satisfying as shooters.

I also second the Penumbra recommendation. Although Black Plague, the second half, is probably closer to SS2 and Overture. The settings of the two episodes are pretty distinct, and a lot of Overture focuses on folklore about the bad guys whereas Black Plague is much more to do with science fiction horror.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Fear 1
Condemned: Criminal Origins

EDIT: oh yeah Arx Fatalis(with arx libertatis), controls might take a moment to get used to though, nothing serious

Might as well mention Dark Messiah of Might and Magic too while I'm at it.

Last edited:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Fear 1
Condemned: Criminal Origins
I guess the environments in FEAR and System Shock 2 could both be considered "brutalist," but there aren't really many more similarities. It's also not primarily devoted to horror in any of its elements, except maybe the pacing.
Condemned is quite a bit further away. It's very fast, very simple, and very unthreatening. In terms of atmosphere it would probably be better liked to the SAW films, especially since it's fucking terrible and the storyline is garbage.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Sure, i was kinda scratching the bottom of the barrel there. Not really many more similar games like system shock 2 I could think of. I felt Condemned had a really oppressive atmosphere though.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Dead space is a terrible third person over the shoulder game, a console port turd.

Alien vs Predator is a pretty good suggestion, although no game will come close to the awesomeness of system shock 2 (predecessor maybe but that game hasn't aged to well)

Fear was pretty good

spekkio

Arcane
- Dead Space 1: consoletarded, but still satisfactory; haven't played 2 or 3 yet,
- Aliens vs. Predator 1 (a.k.a. Aliens Versus Predator Classic 2000 - recent Steam re-release, fixed compatibility with new hardware) - it's much less story-oriented than AvP2, but the atmosphere of constant danger is much better IMO.

Also: play SS1 iv you haven't, great game despite outdated interface (mouselook mod available).

Personally, the only game that's as atmospheric as SS2 is Thief Gold (different atmosphere, though).

Eyeball

Arcane
Arkham Asylum, in some ways.

Trapped in a messed-up indoor location gone to hell, everybody on your side largely dead, subhuman monstrosities lurking in the dark corners and the Whole location just being really oppressive and grim, with a sinister voice constantly taunting you.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
Bro, you must play E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy if you haven't already. I'm surprised no one mentioned it.

- many RPG elements
- dark, mysterious, depressive atmosphere
- incredible ambient soundtrack
- great shooting mechanics

I'm pretty sure you'll love this game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom