Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tactics Ogre or Final Fantasy Tactics

Deacdo

Liturgist
dipdipdip said:
Deacdo said:
Tactics Ogre (PSX/SNES) is the better tactical game, but Final Fantasy Tactics is more fun, IMO.

Get both.

TO for the GBA and FFTA for the GBA aren't nearly as good as either of the home console games.

Yeah, I agree with everything said here. I think TO would go over better with the Codexers, though, because of its having more depth and branching storylines/multiple endings.

That's true, but there are two significant downsides to TO that don't exist in FFT: 1) a simplistic job system, and 2) the need to constandly "train" your characters. I never had to train or go for random encounters in FFT and the job system is one of the most addictive character development systems ever created. Those are the two reason FFT, while not as deep/challenging a tactical game, was more fun.

Ugrok

Novice
Ô Tactics Ogre Veterans I summon your help !

Im at the end of chapter 1, in that battle called Baramus... First round is ok, but the next one i get slaughtered. What can i do? Should i train again?

Other questions : Which job should i chose for Denim ? Currently he is a Berzerker.
Beast tamers : are those useful? My griffon only do like 8 damage anyway...
Should i try to persuade everything? That mage with thunder looks cool !
What are the valkyries for? Firing bows, or fighting with swords?

Thanks !

Jason

chasing a bee
When battles have 2 sections with a selection screen in between, your characters will have the same amount of HP they had at the end of the first battle if you choose them for the second battle. Try to swap out any injured characters for uninjured ones if you can.

Berzerker isn't a bad class to have Denim be. His HP, strength, & defense will climb very quickly compared to most other classes. A terror knight is even better.

Beast tamers are pointless because they can't cast spells and are weaker than other fighter classes. The only thing they do is slightly boost the abilities of beasts near them. And beasts are lame.

Persuading only works if Denim is next to them and their HP is very low, like under 10%. Even then it still might miss. It's worth it, though, because you won't have to worry about paying to recruit crappy level 1 characters at the shops.

Valkyries are probably the best all around class in the game. They can be extremely powerful melee fighters and still cast strong mid-level spells like Fireburn and Meteor. Their favored weapon is the spear, but a sword and a shield provides a good balance between offense and defense. Bows are fine if they're low level and need to be kept out of harm's way.

Zetor

Arcane
The only thing I'd add to the previous post is healing... I'm not sure if you have clerics yet (or the Life staff), but it's generally a good thing to keep the last non-threatening enemy in battle #1 alive (perhaps stunned) while you run around healing everyone to full.

Zerker->Terror Knight is excellent if you're on the chaotic path, otherwise you can do Zerker->Dragoon for neutral and maybe Ninja->Swordmaster for lawful (haven't tried this one myself).

-- Z.

Ugrok

Novice
Okay, thank you for the advices !
Terror Knight looks like my cup of tea, ill try to do that. And im chaotic. ("Should we murder our own people? - Of course! ")

Well in the 2nd part of the battle i chosed a griffon and a beast tamer, so next time i wont.
I noticed that my Valkyrie parries a lot ; what is her preferred weapons ? The spear i guess?
The healing strategy would work if only i didnt have those stupid cpu controlled allied (Vice/Lechua) who keep attacking everything on sight, thats especially frustrating when i keep a guy alive to persuade him ; that stupid Vice always comes and slaughters him, gaining 100 xp and a level. Hopefully, by following the chaotic route ill get rid of him.

Anyway, thanks again. Ill try and this time ill win !

Zetor

Arcane
Careful... agreeing to raze the city is the LAWFUL path, not the chaotic one. Don't think of lawful/chaotic as good/evil, it is more like 'following orders and rules'/'doing what they want to'. If you don't agree to murder the Baramusians, you become a rebel (Vice leaves your party in both cases), and that is what starts the chaotic chapter.

-- Z.

Ugrok

Novice
Oh ok ! Thanks a lot for the warning !
This game should include a philosophy class... Is it more chaotic to murder my own people or to disobey an awful order ?

Too bad, i quite liked the idea of slaughtering all my former friends. But i want to be a terror knight, so i wont. Ah ah.

Ugrok

Novice
Oh well, Tactics Ogre is a master piece... Here i sit at 3 AM after finishing a long play session. It gets better and better. I got dragons ! They evolve ! I love my chars. I love the choices you can make. This is heaven made rpg.

Time to sleep now...

Tomorrow ill rescue Sisteena !

gromit

Arcane
I was playing Fire Emblem at my GC-owning buddy's house, and digging it very much. It's like Shining Force 3, but even MORE punishing when you fuck up. Playing a mid-game mission off of his save, going on my instincts for the characters he had in his party, I got raped and lost nearly everyone.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I played Fire Emblem, holy hell that game is a piece of shit.

Linear as all fuck and stupid rock/paper/scissors shit

Ugrok

Novice
I got a question about Tactics Ogre.

How the hell can i see the loyalty of characters? It isnt shown anywhere in the stat screens, but i saw on the tactics ogre fansite that there was loyalty involved in persuading other characters to join you with Denim...

I looked everywhere and cant find that damn loyalty number.

Sisay

Liturgist
I am I the only one who just starts to wonder why I'm playing this crap instead of Xcom or JA2 when playing these type of games?

gromit

Arcane
LlamaGod said:
Linear as all fuck and stupid rock/paper/scissors shit

Ha ha ha, that's too bad. Knowing it's rock-paper-scissors has restored my pride, though, as I was sure I was being tactically sound, but got my ass kicked anyway.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Sisay said:
I am I the only one who just starts to wonder why I'm playing this crap instead of Xcom or JA2 when playing these type of games?

Just tell yourself: "It's to give my brain a rest". That and you play them on your TV while sitting comfortably.

Jason

chasing a bee
I only tried the first GBA Fire Emblem and it seemed kind of boring.

As for TO loyalty, the number is never actually displayed. You need to press select when you're on a character screen and an arrow with a question mark will appear. Move that to the name and press the confirm button. You'll see a blurb describing the character's attitude.

Ugrok

Novice
Thank you very much !

By the way i dont think the comparison between JA2, XCOM and the japanese style tactical RPGs should be made. Those are 2 different genres with very different atmospheres. I like both.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom