Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of the Shire - cozy hobbit game from Weta Workshop and Private Division

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Last edited by a moderator:

ADL

Prophet
Weta Workshop did set design, costumes, miniatures, visual effects and props for Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies are making a game with Take Two's Private Division in the literary universe. It'll be very interesting to see how different this game will be from the 'Jacksonverse' which they don't have the rights to. Everything will have to be reimagined from scratch. Notably Weta Workshop got acquired by Unity a couple months ago so I'd imagine this will be a in-house showcase for the Unity engine.

Renowned New Zealand company developing a new game set in the Middle-earth universe of J.R.R. Tolkien

Private Division, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced they have signed a new publishing agreement with Wētā Workshop, best known for their work on Middle-earth for The Lord of the Rings film trilogy. In 2014 Wētā Workshop founded an interactive game division and are now developing a new game set in the Middle-earth universe of J.R.R. Tolkien. Middle-earth Enterprises have licensed the literary works of the series, providing Wētā Workshop with the broadest creative license to interpret the underlying lore of the books.

“We are thrilled to partner with Wētā Workshop to publish a game set in such an extraordinary and celebrated universe,” said Michael Worosz, Chief Strategy Officer, Take-Two Interactive, and Head of Private Division. “The Lord of the Rings IP is home to so many remarkable stories, and no entity is better equipped than the team at Wētā Workshop to create a distinctive, new Middle-earth gaming experience.”

“It’s a privilege to create a new game set in Middle-earth, especially one that’s so different from what fans have played previously,” said Amie Wolken, Head of Interactive at Wētā Workshop. “As fans ourselves, we’re excited for gamers to explore Middle-earth in a way they never have before, and introduce new fans to the magic of The Lord of the Rings.”

This title is in early development and does not yet have an announced release date. It is expected to launch during Take-Two’s Fiscal Year 2024. Private Division and Wētā Workshop look forward to sharing more details about this game in the future.

Codex Year of the Donut
Weta Workshop did set design, costumes, miniatures, visual effects and props for Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies are making a game with Take Two's Private Division in the literary universe. It'll be very interesting to see how different this game will be from the 'Jacksonverse' which they don't have the rights to.
I'm really not entirely sure what it would restrict other than using material directly from the films. You can bash the films for a lot of things, but they were generally a shortened version of the books, not much if any actual new material.

toughasnails

Visuals of the movies were based on Alan Lee's artworks, I don't why they wouldn't stick to that as it isn't tied to and exclusive to movies. It's p much LOTR's visual identity in most people's heads. It would be interesting to see someone reimagining the visuals from the grounds up, coming up with something independent from Lee's version, but I very much doubt they'll do that.

AndyS

Augur
How much of the playground are they allowed to use? If the deal covers stuff like the First Age, they could make some interesting stuff based on that and wouldn't overlap with anything else; e.g., strategy games in which you choose either the Valar side or Morgoth's.

Codex Year of the Donut
How much of the playground are they allowed to use? If the deal covers stuff like the First Age, they could make some interesting stuff based on that and wouldn't overlap with anything else; e.g., strategy games in which you choose either the Valar side or Morgoth's.
LotR/Hobbit stuff only, most likely. They're licensing from MEE(Zaentz).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Notably Weta Workshop got acquired by Unity a couple months ago so I'd imagine this will be a in-house showcase for the Unity engine.

Unity acquired Weta Digital, not Weta Workshop.

Buuut in the end, you're right. Their old job posting for programmer suggests it's using Unity. https://web.archive.org/web/20211204210405mp_/https://wetaworkshop.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=52

Game Designer job posting suggests this will be some kind of an RPG. https://www.tsumea.com/jobs/2205/game-designer

• Work with other team members to create and design meaningful content involving but not limited to items, quests, and NPCs
  • Experience and a passion for Life Simulation, RPG, or Narrative games a plus

Weta Workshop did set design, costumes, miniatures, visual effects and props for Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies are making a game with Take Two's Private Division in the literary universe. It'll be very interesting to see how different this game will be from the 'Jacksonverse' which they don't have the rights to.
I'm really not entirely sure what it would restrict other than using material directly from the films. You can bash the films for a lot of things, but they were generally a shortened version of the books, not much if any actual new material.
Osgiliath.

axx

Savant
Tom Bombadil and Saruman taking over Shire were two big parts left out of movies, which made sense. It's weird when the siege of Minas Tirith is over and you're not even half-way through the 3rd book.

Drop Duck

Learned
What is the actual demand for more LotR at this point?
Judging by Shadow of War and Shadow of Mordor sales figures there is some demand at least. What I want to know is where all the Game of Thrones games went, the prequel series is almost here and I haven't seen any Game of Thrones games announced.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
also, decided to look at their site
"huh, those figures look pretty nice, how much do they cost?"
https://www.wetanz.com/shop/figures/masters-collection-the-dead-marshes
$2,599.00
:what:

tbh this shit is huge and insanely well done

1658090662e24d8d797d345ab9fe53164edbe0a3b0.jpg

ive seen lesser stuff go for 3k

Zenithsan

Educated
I love Lotr, but I never loved any of the games. I mean, the strategy games were fun, in my country all the people in the pc-cafes were playing it all the time back in the day.
And the PS2 adventure/action games were okay.
The Shadow of Mordor games were just reskinned Ubisoft shit.

It just doesn't capture what makes Lotr great, it lacks vastness and deepness.
I don't want to be that guy, and I hate derivative games as much as the next guy, but making it more akin to From Software game design could result in a more interesting Middle Earth I think.

toughasnails

Souls-like game set in Middle Earth could definitely work very well, there is a lot of material for FromSoft style set-up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom