Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tamriel Rebuilt keeps chugging along

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The second Inn Between iteration may look best, but it uses assets from Tribunal's Mournhold, a city under Indoril control, which the inn isn't. And the team decided to create their own Indoril assets, the Mournhold ones will be exclusively used in the expanded city of Almalexia once they get to that.

Many cool-looking settlements in the current eastern regions will be re-made from the ground up because they still use assets that have now been decided to not be used in that area anymore. The team keeps refining the worldbuilding, being as true to vanilla lore as possible, and while the mod has always prided itself on its vanilla-accurate interpretation of lore, a lot of the older content is a bit wonky.

Also, when it comes to density of actual content, the current state of the Telvanni areas is rather dismal compared to the newer areas. I'm looking forward to the overhauls of old areas, even if they end up removing some cool-looking things.

None

Arbiter
Original inn is a reference to the Dragonlance campaign setting's famous Inn of the Last Home, in the town of Solace, where most of the buildings are erected in giant trees.

Middle inn is in the House Indoril style, which makes sense if located in Indoril territory.

Bottom inn is in the House Hlaalu style, which makes sense if located in Hlaalu territory rather than Indoril territory.

800px-MW-place-RethanManor.jpg

Rethan Manor from Morrowind base game
It's not Hlaalu style, but Velothi or generically Dunmer. Think Vos or Vivec's canton interiors

None

Arbiter
Honestly the middle is the best for me

The most recent one looks nothing like the other two
With some custom assets and some cleaning up I think the middle would be great but right now though there are just way too many statics, the same is generally true for most of that area. You often end up with areas where there are a few predetermined paths to walk as the rest is surrounded by statics and generally unnavigable thanks to countless rocks, arches, cliff walls, trees and boulders.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if that iteration makes a return somewhere else.

thesecret1

Arcane
The second Inn Between iteration may look best, but it uses assets from Tribunal's Mournhold, a city under Indoril control, which the inn isn't. And the team decided to create their own Indoril assets, the Mournhold ones will be exclusively used in the expanded city of Almalexia once they get to that.
The inn is under Indoril control, but the idea for Indoril is to be feudals that rule the unwashed masses from their castles. Hence, you will see Indoril architecture only in said castles, while the rest of their lands is built in Old Velothi style (ie. generic dunmer). Telvanni are much the same in that regard, while the other 3 houses mingle with the populace a lot more.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It's not Hlaalu style, but Velothi or generically Dunmer. Think Vos or Vivec's canton interiors
That might be the intention of the designers, but it seems farther removed from base Morrowind's Dunmer strongholds than from Hlaalu architecture:

799px-MW-place-Rotheran.jpg

Had forgotten about the non-Telvanni, non-Imperial part of Vos / Tel Vos, though (even UESP doesn't have a good screenshot of it):

800px-MW-place-Vos.jpg

None

Arbiter
That might be the intention of the designers, but it seems farther removed from base Morrowind's Dunmer strongholds than from Hlaalu architecture:

799px-MW-place-Rotheran.jpg

Had forgotten about the non-Telvanni, non-Imperial part of Vos / Tel Vos, though (even UESP doesn't have a good screenshot of it):

800px-MW-place-Vos.jpg

A lot, if not all Dunmer architectural styles are removed from the strongholds. They're exceedingly ancient, and technically not Dunmer made, as they were built during the days of the Chimer, meaning they're just as old as someone like Vivec, if not older. We see this through the ruins of Kogoruhn, one of House Dagoth's possessions of Vvardenfell. Also around the stronghold are some smaller ruins, perhaps giving us an idea what your typical non-stronghold buildings may have looked like. These are Chimer, not Dunmer buildings.

36K5cS5.jpeg

Furthermore, don't forget that what most of us think of as Indoril is from the Tribunal expansion, with the implication being that Mournhold is a city that was rebuilt and has a suitably new style. Take a look at some of the ruins of Old Mournhold and you'll see what I mean:

TR-place-Teran_Hall.jpg

The ornate decorations are typically Indoril, but simplify the design and it starts to look a little like the inn and style we've been talking about.

Vulpes

Scholar
This is the same inn at different points of time. The first captures typical modder's megalomania, the second a creative approach done with old materials, and the last what is possible when new assets can be utilized. I think the most recent iteration is the best.
The last one just looks like a place in the vanilla game, even down to the landscape. I know they wanna be purists, but some mainland region far away from Vvardenfell isn't gonna look exactly the same as Balmora and its surrounding area.

thesecret1

Arcane
This is the same inn at different points of time. The first captures typical modder's megalomania, the second a creative approach done with old materials, and the last what is possible when new assets can be utilized. I think the most recent iteration is the best.
The last one just looks like a place in the vanilla game, even down to the landscape. I know they wanna be purists, but some mainland region far away from Vvardenfell isn't gonna look exactly the same as Balmora and its surrounding area.
Landscape? Dude, there are smoking pools of sulphur there.

Vulpes

Scholar
Are those supposed to be sulphur pools? :lol:

Whoever designed this had no idea what they're doing, like where the fuck is the water and why is the sulphur so desaturated? I wasn't expecting the Grand Prismatic Spring, but even vanilla Skyrim did it better with south Eastmarch and I don't think Bethesda even used any unique assets when making it.

None

Arbiter
MW-concept-12.jpg

It's inspired by The Great Scathes in Kirkbride's concept art map, not contemporary hot springs.

None

Arbiter
It's just one region, it looking like something from vanilla is intentional, especially given its inspiration. There are plenty of other regions like the canyons of Shipal-Shin or the mushroom forests of the Othreleth Woods that don't have a vanilla analog.

deuxhero

Arcane
Imga voices to pair with the Imga faces.

There were a few time I was questioning if it were actually a clever edit of vanilla voices (like the Reachmen voices in Home of the Nords) before unique things made me sure they were entirely original. I think that's the highest mark of quality I can give.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

There were a few time I was questioning if it were actually a clever edit of vanilla voices (like the Reachmen voices in Home of the Nords) before unique things made me sure they were entirely original. I think that's the highest mark of quality I can give.

Thats actually pretty good

None

Arbiter

For anyone wondering what the fuck they're looking at:

The Great Apes of Valenwood
LO-race-Imga.jpg

The Great Apes, or Imga, are native beastfolk of Valenwood. They see the High Elves as their lords and masters, and as a portrait of an ideal, civilized society. Great Apes go to desperate measures to emulate the High Elves: they wear capes, practice with the dueling sword, and attempt to speak with perfect enunciation and courtly manners despite their gravelly, baritone voices. Each Imga bears some kind of title, be it Baron, Duke, Earl, or the like, which they use when addressing the members of the Thalmor (needless to say, there are no landowning Great Apes). More extreme Great Apes shave their bodies and powder their skin white to seem more like the High Elves. They often cut themselves in the process, creating the truly pathetic picture of a naked white Ape, skin dotted pink with blood, strutting around the trading posts of Valenwood with mock nobility. The Imga feel that humans are beneath them as lesser beastfolk, and pretend to find their smell exceedingly offensive – a Great Ape holds a perfumed corner of his cape to his nose when Men are around.

Voices are solid, but a bit too verbose. Reminds me of Tony Jay's Transcendent One a bit. Overall, they're a welcome addition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom