Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tamriel Rebuilt keeps chugging along

Funposter

Arcane
One skill that feels way more useful than in vanilla is speechcraft. It still functions in the old bribe-intimidate-admire way to raise an NPC's reaction, but there are way more quests where persuasion is a possibility, or where the outcome of choosing a dialog option depends on an NPC's reaction towards you, so using speechcraft to raise an NPC's reaction pays off way more than it did in vanilla Morrowind.
It should be noted that Speechcraft isn't just more useful in order to raise Disposition, but because of Sway, Haggle and Debate checks in dialogue. Unlike in vanilla Morrowind, where convincing someone to agree with you is usually just a case of the NPC having a Disposition of approx 70+, TR relies a lot more on your Speechcraft skill so that you can't just bribe your way through every bit of quest dialogue. As you can see in the wiki article, what makes it a bit more interesting is that, yes, an NPC having a high Disposition towards you does make them more likely to agree, but it's not strictly necessary. This means that a master of Speechcraft can even convince their enemies to agree with them.

It's interesting because this is all entirely new and it makes better use of Morrowind's mechanics than just Disposition or just skill checks in dialogue, the latter of which are present but exceedingly rare in vanilla.

exe

Augur
Is there house or similar place to store all your (unneeded) loot which you can easily reach (or cheat to)? Or do I need a mod for that? I can't help being a pack rat.
Since I haven't played MW since childhood, I don't remember how the guilds worked, how many can you join? Which house and guilds are the most fleshed out ones in TR?

ds

Cipher
Patron
Is there house or similar place to store all your (unneeded) loot which you can easily reach (or cheat to)? Or do I need a mod for that? I can't help being a pack rat.
I like to use one of the mage guild buildings as my personal warehouse with free shipping sponsored by the guild guides. But anything that has convenient transport options nearby should work.

None

Arbiter
Since I haven't played MW since childhood, I don't remember how the guilds worked, how many can you join? Which house and guilds are the most fleshed out ones in TR?
Guilds are generally nonconflicting, with the exception of one questline in vanilla for the Thief and Fighers Guilds.
You can only join 1 Great House (Telvanni, Hlaalu, Redoran, Indoril). Telvanni and Hlaalu are currently the most fleshed out. Telvanni have lots of quests, but consider it "legacy" content. Hlaalu have lots in the new areas, given that's their turf. Indoril have a few, iirc they'll be joinable-ish (it's complicated) in the future. Redoran have next to nothing, although I think there may be some additions in the last update. All the other guilds have a fair amount of content.

If you need a home I've always liked using one of the various Ashlander Yurt mods.

cpmartins

Cipher
http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42145/?

15 years of in development and still churning out updates now and them, as for progress, they have a "Pipeline" and progress page that details what has been done up up until now and how far along they are on what remains.

However what they have done is already massive, a landmass the size of Vvanderfel itself full with finished quest, npcs, items and factions, even if the project goes belly up, what's already released should be enough to entertain any MW fan for a few dozen hours.

Can't wait to play the full release on OpenMW 1.0 in 2025! :happytrollboy:

Less than one year to go!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Telvanni have lots of quests, but consider it "legacy" content.
Anything released before 2018 is quite rough, and the TR team is working on overhauling all of it eventually.

Consult this release map for reference:

1719277193575.png

Old Ebonheart and anything south and west of it is excellent, as is the reworked coastal western Telvanni area from 2022.
My suggestion for newcomers: go to Andothren, go to Old Ebonheart, and go to Firewatch. Talk to NPCs, get a bunch of quests, and just go with the flow from there.

The area they're overhauling for Poison Song is pretty bland right now. The Mephalan Vales area that was released in 2012 is rougher than the newer stuff, but it still holds up well enough. Has some excellent dungeons and a city or two with good quests. The Sacred East expansion - the 2008 area - is the least developed from my experience. Much lower content density when it comes to dungeons, and also much fewer quests. Necrom is a cool place to look at but doesn't have a lot going on in it. They'll eventually overhaul it.

Anything in the 2018-2023 releases is absolutely excellent and some of the best RPG content I've played in 20 years.

I only played TR once like 10 years ago, and really tempted to get to it right now. However, what are the chance of a new release this summer (Grasping Fortune)? Also kind of waiting for Project Tamriel's next content (there is a small piece of Skyrim and there should be more "soon" + Cyrodill coast content?).
But these projects seem to be in that "soon" state that could be in a couple of months or late 2025.
Is the Project Tamriel content for Skyrim comparable in quality to TR?

Also, is OpenMW much better perfomance wise relative to the other more modding friendly alternatives?

I only played TR once like 10 years ago, and really tempted to get to it right now. However, what are the chance of a new release this summer (Grasping Fortune)? Also kind of waiting for Project Tamriel's next content (there is a small piece of Skyrim and there should be more "soon" + Cyrodill coast content?).
But these projects seem to be in that "soon" state that could be in a couple of months or late 2025.

Also, is OpenMW much better perfomance wise relative to the other more modding friendly alternatives?
Peformance wise, OpenMW is better, but the base exe has more complicated mods.

None

Arbiter
I'm betting on Grasping Fortune releasing this fall/winter. Cyrodiil's Gold Coast is probably about the same if not a bit earlier, but Skyrim's new release is definitely next year at the earliest.

Yes, it's just as good if not better.

Out of the box OpenMW will perform better. Running vanilla on Vulkan and with mods like Project Atlas you can get performance almost as good or the same as OpenMW. I've heard people argue a proper setup can actually outperform OpenMW, but I've never checked for myself.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
OpenMW can actually use full power of a modern PC. Morrowind.EXE is forever stuck as a 32 bit exe. For TR and especially Project Tarmriel the point precision errors of Morrowind.exe are also a major issue that simply can not be overcome without totally replacing the engine (which OpenMW does).

thesecret1

Arcane
I really boils down to mods. Do you want to have a heavily modded playthrough or use fairly complicated mods? If no, go for OpenMW. If yes, you're stuck with vanilla. Should OpenMW ever become compatible with all the mods for vanilla morrowind, there'd be no reason not to use it.

Currently playing through the Skyrim content. Absolutely amazing stuff. Shits on all Bethesda content.

However, it's quite obvious there is no way of keeping any kind of fair balance through TR + PT content. I arrived at Lvl 6 from Vvardenfell and I'm already at 12 and I'm OP without even trying (and using a x2 slower leveling mod). By the time I tackle Old Ebonheart/Firewatch/Andothren I will be eating numidiums for breakfast.

Funposter

Arcane
However, it's quite obvious there is no way of keeping any kind of fair balance through TR + PT content. I arrived at Lvl 6 from Vvardenfell and I'm already at 12 and I'm OP without even trying (and using a x2 slower leveling mod). By the time I tackle Old Ebonheart/Firewatch/Andothren I will be eating numidiums for breakfast.
I mean, the vanilla game is the same way. Get halfway through a single faction questline and you'll probably find an artifact that trivializes the other 90% of the content in the game. Every questline goes out of its way to kit the player out by the end, and the Main Quest dungeons have a huge amount of good gear lying around.

None

Arbiter
New progress update. It covers a wide variety of future releases, from the modestly sized Firemoth Rekindled to the massive Hlaalu-centric Grasping Fortune. Link in the title below.

We can expect these two areas, Abecean Shores from Project Cyrodiil, and Grasping Fortune from Tamriel Rebuilt, to be released within the coming months.

small_pr_2024-08_fm_02_abeceanmap.jpg
Gf_gridmap.png

The first will undoubtedly be Project Cyrodiil's Abecean Shores release, which I'd expect that to show up within the next month or so. After that is TR's Grapsing Fortune. From what I've heard will be ready to release at the end of this year or the start of next. Regardless, there'll be an enormous amount of fresh content ready to explore and enjoy relatively soon. Already released content will get some updates as well in the form of new quests and new and overhauled areas.

There's a lot in the update so it'd be best just to read it.

The only thing I'll drag out to show is what I think is a good example of why redo's are necessary:
pr_2024-08_ps_i03_innbetween.jpg

This is the same inn at different points of time. The first captures typical modder's megalomania, the second a creative approach done with old materials, and the last what is possible when new assets can be utilized. I think the most recent iteration is the best.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
The only thing I'll drag out to show is what I think is a good example of why redo's are necessary
I think people complaining about redos don't know what state some of the old areas actually are in. You have an area the size of a third of Vvanderfel, and there's a grand total of 3 small quests in all of it, and like 5 dungeons. Yeah, it shows "done" on the map, but that doesn't mean it's done in reality...

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Top one looks like a completely realistic inn to me. Like that's totally how you would build a place for n'wahs to enjoy a jug of mazte. :mca:

ds

Cipher
Patron
Top one doesn't really fit MW (too generic fantasy), bottom one looks like any random MW settlement. Middle one has a distinct style but still fit the other structures in the area.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Top looks cool, but obviously modded content, doesn't fit the rest of MW. Bottom one looks like MW, but like an area that got slapped together last minute and is generic as a result. Middle one looks best.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm just being facetious. Top one is obviously pretty shit, but I feel kinda nostalgic for that era of MW modding. Having long rope bridges to every mundane building seems pretty peak 2006 to me.

I have come to accept the constant reworking in TR now. If everything has to be perfect on launch, we would only get updates every 5-10 years. Sometimes you only find out what really works when the masses have played it, or you develop new insights into what you actually want a certain part of the world to do.

None

Arbiter
The only thing I'll drag out to show is what I think is a good example of why redo's are necessary
I think people complaining about redos don't know what state some of the old areas actually are in. You have an area the size of a third of Vvanderfel, and there's a grand total of 3 small quests in all of it, and like 5 dungeons. Yeah, it shows "done" on the map, but that doesn't mean it's done in reality...
Even some of the actual "done" areas need it. Like the Telvannis, which is mostly just copy and pasted Azura's Coast crap you'd find on Vvardenfell, a big missed opportunity really.

thesecret1

Arcane
Even some of the actual "done" areas need it. Like the Telvannis, which is mostly just copy and pasted Azura's Coast crap you'd find on Vvardenfell, a big missed opportunity really.
That's what I'm talking about though. Everything prior to Old Ebonheart is scheduled for a full redo.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The only thing I'll drag out to show is what I think is a good example of why redo's are necessary:
pr_2024-08_ps_i03_innbetween.jpg

This is the same inn at different points of time. The first captures typical modder's megalomania, the second a creative approach done with old materials, and the last what is possible when new assets can be utilized. I think the most recent iteration is the best.

Honestly the middle is the best for me

The most recent one looks nothing like the other two

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Original inn is a reference to the Dragonlance campaign setting's famous Inn of the Last Home, in the town of Solace, where most of the buildings are erected in giant trees.

Middle inn is in the House Indoril style, which makes sense if located in Indoril territory.

Bottom inn is in the House Hlaalu style, which makes sense if located in Hlaalu territory rather than Indoril territory.

800px-MW-place-RethanManor.jpg

Rethan Manor from Morrowind base game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom