Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Team Fagtress 2 has gone full derp

Stinger

Arcane
Was playing TF2 the other day to see the Halloween update. Dear god it was like a fucking MMO out there with everyone just grinding and griefing each other to get those gifts that would only pop up every 5 minutes.

What a load of bullshit.

Some of the item sets look great (the spy's full set actually looks really good) but the whole think is really fucked up the way Valve is making players spend hours upon hours just to get these measly items.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Stinger said:
Was playing TF2 the other day to see the Halloween update. Dear god it was like a fucking MMO out there with everyone just grinding and griefing each other to get those gifts that would only pop up every 5 minutes.

What a load of bullshit.

Some of the item sets look great (the spy's full set actually looks really good) but the whole think is really fucked up the way Valve is making players spend hours upon hours just to get these measly items.

It makes me think that Valve has secretly developed a machine that runs on pure rage, and is created scenarios where they can harvest as much as possible.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't really have a problem with that. TF2 is still perfectly playable without any items at all. Valve just decided to make a ton of money of off idiots.

Multi-headed Cow

I've been TF2 free for a few weeks now. Cashed out a bunch of metal and hats for Orcs Must Die and Dungeon Defenders and haven't actually played since. Or hell, even a while before.

Considering fucking around with the Halloween event long enough to get the achievements, but I can't say as I'm particularly motivated to. I have my hot and cold phases for TF2, and I've definitely been running cold lately. Unfortunately I've been hitting the Steam bottle pretty hard.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I played the Halloween map for like ~15 minutes. It's essentially the same gimmick as the Headless Horseman. Just with more gay drops to farm, if you're so inclined.

hoopy

Savant
I got sick of TF2 even before they introduced the hats and item drops, and since then I've only played a few times. Now the game is worse than I could have ever imagined.

But it was always meant to be a game for idiots. No friendly fire, overpowered melee weapons, critical hits, spy checking done by spamming fire everywhere or just bumping into players, maps are extremely small and cramped, there's no friendly fire or grenades.

The way the spy got dumbed down so retards could play it was especially annoying because it was my main class ever since QWTF in circa 1997. It just isn't any fun to play anymore. There are no advanced and creative tactics to use, spy checking is too easy, the maps are too small. Taking out sentry guns usually devolves into a suicidal clusterfuck of whac-a-mole, which you'll probably lose. The spy used to be the thinking man's class, now it's mainly useful for impressing YouTube with backstab kill streaks.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
:necro:

2 years later and this thread is dug up. Halloween has rolled round once again. So what's the deal this time?

This time, the Halloween event is a Payload Race on a modified Hightower map, get your payload first to the finish line. For those that don't remember Hightower, it's the map where half the path of the cart goes PAST THE ENEMY SPAWN and ends up having to go up on a tower where the enemy has a CLEAR LINE OF SIGHT from their spawn to you. Throw in plenty of enviromental killzones for Pyros, the map being small enough that even one Mini-Sentry can dominate half the map, and that this is THE favourite hangout for Goomba-stomping Trolldiers... you start to get the idea. And I haven't even mentioned the new stuff. There's no real Boss this time, but not only can tiny little annoying skeletons spawn and chase you around the map, but also a Skeleton King that's harder to kill.

But wait, it gets worse. Once a cart has been pushed to the top, the round doesn't end. Instead everyone gets sent to Hell, and ANOTHER race starts, this time whichever team is first to reach the Bombnomicon book wins the round. Yes, that's right: One team can dominate the payload race, and yet LOSE the round. And in Hell one Mini-Sentry literally means the difference between winning and losing.

There are no new "standard" weapons added in this update, but instead everyone gets a spellbook. Yes, a spellbook. Spells spawn randomly on the map, with 1-3 charges. Spells can include 3 seconds of invisibility (?), a high-jump spell, a shrinking spell (which is actually among the more powerful spells of the lot) and summoning Monuculous to spam rockets around for a while.

But the thing that is causing so much rage about this event are the new items. This update adds over 100 new items to the game, many of them very Halloweeny... and some not. Undead versions of the various animals, a Hellboy hat for the Heavy, some Cthulhu-related stuff for the Demoman, and a My Little Pony hat for EVERYONE. That one has people raging extra hard. But here's the kicker: ALL of these new items are restricted to being used on Halloween and Full Moons. That's 100+ new items that can't be used in-game 90% of the time. Some of them even have new and specific voice lines. Good news in regards to the MLP hat, bad news for almost everything else. The new items can't be bought from the store, can't be traded, can't be used in crafting... I don't see the angle here. Why add so much new content, and yet restrict it to only being used a tiny part of the year? (Oh, and the Engineer got screwed over big time. ONE new hat and ONE new misc for him.)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Better Fortress Forever be good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom