Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Telengard remake

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Hmmm? Wow! This is the only Telengard thread.
Telengard%20Poster.jpg

So, as the OP points out there is the remake that is still around and running (10/20/2005 god that be old). TELENGARD REMAKE v1.07

Yeah, had this on the c64 and found it to be a disappointment as I was hoping for something like Temple of Apshai. Its good at what it does.... killing off PCs. Its a tricky duck. Notes on a vic-20 version?

WEBSITES:
Telengard @ Mobygames
Deadly Dragon Inn
Telengard in ELM BLOG
Angelfire Map??
Telengard Wikipedia Entry
The Maze of Telengard

A map...
Telengard_Incomplete_Map_300dpi.gif

Sounds of Telengard

PC Cheat Gamefaq
  • Prevent character from being auto deleted
    During name selection put sv in front of the character name to prevent the game from deleting your character after you load.

Contributed By: BoltThrower40K.
DOCUMENTATION:
MOCAGH Avalon Hill c64 - tape
MOCAGH Avalon Hill c64 - disk
Atari 8-bit Manual
DOS Manual (looks the sane as Atari tbh)

The Games
MyAbandonware (C64, Atari 8-bit, AppleII, DOS)
TRS-80 (coco)
Commodore PET Computer.tap
Vic-20 Version
Telengard Remastered v1.0 (2016) A different project?

SCREENSHOTS:
VIC-20
file.php

file.php

COMMODORE PET
934891-telengard-commodore-pet-cbm-screenshot-start-a-new-character.png

934899-telengard-commodore-pet-cbm-screenshot-shoulda-just-stayed.png
934894-telengard-commodore-pet-cbm-screenshot-just-entered-the-dungeon.png

AppleII
705581-telengard-apple-ii-screenshot-game-options.png

705586-telengard-apple-ii-screenshot-kicking-back-at-the-worthy-meade.png

705585-telengard-apple-ii-screenshot-having-at-it-with-a-level-1.png

TRS-80
490202-telengard-trs-80-screenshot-title.png

490211-telengard-trs-80-screenshot-you-can-return-to-the-worthy-inn.png

490205-telengard-trs-80-screenshot-game-start-being-attacked-by-level.png

Atari 8-bit
150421-telengard-atari-8-bit-screenshot-title.png

150423-telengard-atari-8-bit-screenshot-the-inn.png

150422-telengard-atari-8-bit-screenshot-the-graphics-on-this-version.png

C64
85191-telengard-commodore-64-screenshot-title-screen.png

85194-telengard-commodore-64-screenshot-resting-at-an-inn.png

85193-telengard-commodore-64-screenshot-there-is-a-dwarf-here.png

DOS
13538-telengard-dos-screenshot-title-screen.gif

13540-telengard-dos-screenshot-the-inn-offers-a-welcome-rest.gif

13539-telengard-dos-screenshot-dragons-are-a-pushover-here.gif

Windows Remake v1.07
181653-telengard-windows-screenshot-title-screen.png

VNAm8Nb.jpg

181655-telengard-windows-screenshot-in-game-fighting-with-a-minotaur.png

Telengard RE

P4C64Iv.png

ho8wcmU.jpg

XrEa1Mj.jpg

Some Videos

So, beyond lvl 50 random?

TELENGARD RE... looking for preconfigured download. This looks pretty good.

ADG talks about Telengard

C64 action

Talking about vic20/PET/C64 Telengard

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Indeed. 50 levels of 200x200 and I haven't seen this mapped yet.

The 2016 remadter says 250 levels which looks different from that gimp video version. Seems there's still room to make the Ultimate Telengard.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The Grognardia blog (James Maliszewski) has a retrospective of Telengard:

Looking back on those days, one game continues to stand out in my memory as being better than the rest: Telengard, released by Avalon Hill in 1982. Telengard was what would nowadays be called a "dungeon crawler" in that the focus of play was navigating one's randomly generated character through an immense, 50-level dungeon filled with all manner of monsters, traps, and treasures. Like most computer games of that era, it was exceedingly limited, both in terms of options and presentation, but that didn't matter. To a thirteen year-old in the early '80s, Telengard was unbelievably cool – and about as close as you could get to digitizing the experience of playing Dungeons & Dragons.

That's because Telengard pretty much was D&D. I'm honestly surprised that TSR didn't sue or at least legally threaten Avalon Hill over the game. Characters in the game had the exact same ability scores as in D&D and the purpose of the game was to amass experience points through defeating monsters and finding treasure, thereby achieving higher levels of power, just like D&D. The selection of monsters (36 in all) included a number obviously derived from D&D, such as the gnoll and experience point-draining wraiths and spectres. Spells and magic items were likewise derivative of Gygax and Arneson's creation, with elven cloaks and boots, magic missile, and cure light wounds available, among others. As I said, I'm startled that TSR let this slide.

The primary difference between Telengard and D&D is that the computer game had no character classes. Instead, every character was equally adept at casting spells and engaging in combat. Spellcasting was handled through the use of a spell point (or "spell unit") system, but was otherwise reminiscent of the way D&D handled magic. Interestingly, turn undead was a spell; indeed, the spell list is a mixture of those available to clerics and magic-users in D&D. This gave your character a bit more versatility than in D&D, but that's understandable as Telengard provided neither an option for multiplayer nor for the acquisition of henchmen. Instead, your character was left to his own devices in facing off against the dangers of the dungeon.

To call Telengard unforgiving is an understatement. Not only were the contents of dungeon rooms random (though, like D&D, scaled to level), the entire game was played in real time. In fact, the game manual, as I recall, takes great pains to point this out to the player. There are no safe areas except outside the dungeon itself. Further, you cannot save your progress within the dungeon. The combination of these factors meant that caution was advisable, just as in D&D. Of course, the computer was even more merciless than a living referee; no amount of whining or wheedling could convince it to keep your character alive after a foolhardy decision or a bad throw of the virtual dice.

And yet, we loved it. Some of that love was no doubt a function of neopohilia. The very idea of playing a fantasy game on a computer was simply so captivating in itself that we didn't care how hard it was to survive. At the same time, I also think that its difficulty appealed to our competitive instincts and desire for genuine challenge. Being able to escape the dungeon with enough gold to gain a new level felt like a genuine accomplishment, especially when we knew just how easy it was to turn the wrong corner and run into a dragon or a vampire, not to mention a teleporter trap that sent us to some unknown lower level. The very unfairness of Telengard was part of its attraction, I think – but then the minds of teenage boys are strange things.

I don't know that I'd enjoy Telengard or a game like it anymore. At the time, though, it was genuinely engrossing and I can still remember how much fun we all had facing off against the program. There are days when I wish I could have these kinds of experiences again.
telengard.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Use one sentence to convince me Talangard is worth playing (except for possible historical value).

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Use one sentence to convince me Talangard is worth playing (except for possible historical value).
It's inhumanely difficult to keep a character alive and if you play the C64 version, it's written entirely in Basic, so you can modify the hell out of everything.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Mine would be.... complete the maps but there is that off-chance there is no ending to the game. Still, complete about 10 or 20 or 30 levels is a pestering itch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom