Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tell me about Platinum Games.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Not yet, but that does not change the fact that mgr is still mechanically easier than their other game. Revengeance mod just make the margin of error way tighter.

When you say "mechanically easier", do you mean "mechanically less complex" or "mechanically less challenging"? Neither is true really, because there are both "mechanically less complex" platinum's titles like Nier Automata, Legend of Korra and MadWorld and "mechanically less challenging" ones like Bayonetta 2 (which is absolutely great but piss easy before 4th climax)

The first, and it was compared to the others game he talked about, I don't know and haven't played every single game they made. And I still thing I can rest most of my case, mgr windows parry is so insanely huge that i thought it was automated for most of the game, offensive defense give a shitload of iframe that allow you to virtually ignore everything.

The first, and it was compared to the others game he talked about, I don't know and haven't played every single game they made. And I still thing I can rest most of my case, mgr windows parry is so insanely huge that i thought it was automated for most of the game, offensive defense give a shitload of iframe that allow you to virtually ignore everything.

Well most of the game is pretty easy but there are big difficulty spikes (Armstrong fight and Jetsream Sam's DLC missions). Difficulty-wise I'd put it in between two Bayonetta games. Bayo 1 nonstop climax (not having witch time HURTS) > MGR:R revengeance mode > Bayo 2 infinite climax

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I thought MGR was noticeably more demanding than Bayonetta, though that's largely on account of the blocking system. When I played the DLC with automatic blocking turned on for my own peace of mind I breezed through them. :M

Sarathiour

Cipher
How the FUCK is blocking difficult. It's directional input + attack, and you can pre-input for like two second before the attack actually connect, and most of them are signaled by a bright red glow in case you're not paying attention. Armstrong is one of the only enemy to actually delay the timing between the glow and the hit.

Sarathiour

Cipher

Well most of the game is pretty easy but there are big difficulty spikes (Armstrong fight and Jetsream Sam's DLC missions). Difficulty-wise I'd put it in between two Bayonetta games. Bayo 1 nonstop climax (not having witch time HURTS) > MGR:R revengeance mode > Bayo 2 infinite climax

Armstrong is not that difficult mechanically speaking. As stated, he as the particularity to delay attack in his combo, and the "aura explosion" attack is annoying because it will punish you if you tried to throw some heavy attack without staggering him, because you can't cancel them. Otherwise most of the stuff is perfectly dodgable, it's just that he hit like a truck ,even in normal and hard. If he bump you into one of those pillar of fire he setup beforehand, he can delete a whole heath bar.
Also, revengeance is gimmick difficulty, not to the same extend as, say, heaven&hell DMC, but still a gimmick nonetheless.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How the FUCK is blocking difficult. It's directional input + attack, and you can pre-input for like two second before the attack actually connect, and most of them are signaled by a bright red glow in case you're not paying attention. Armstrong is one of the only enemy to actually delay the timing between the glow and the hit.

The directional input is what makes it difficult. I had to watch a video of someone playing Blade Wolf that also showed his hands on the controller while he was doing it to even beat the thing, the timing of it was just not intuitive for me at all (or for a bunch of others apparently since it's my understanding that a lot of people had to look up a video to get past that brickwall boss). After that I was able to manage well enough, though never came close to mastering it. To beat Armstrong's final phase I had to use the DLC suit that gives you more health packs.

Sarathiour

Cipher

The directional input is what makes it difficult. I had to watch a video of someone playing Blade Wolf that also showed his hands on the controller while he was doing it to even beat the thing, the timing of it was just not intuitive for me at all (or for a bunch of others apparently since it's my understanding that a lot of people had to look up a video to get past that brickwall boss). After that I was able to manage well enough, though never came close to mastering it. To beat Armstrong's final phase I had to use the DLC suit that gives you more health packs.

The only thing counterintuitive is that you have to re-input the correct direction between each parry in a parry chain, meaning that the stick have to go back to a neutral position. It took me some time to understand it, and the game does not explain it to you, but it's really not that hard.
My biggest problem with amstrong is that I first tried it without nanopaste, and I also could not manage to do the zendetsu phase, because default control are dogshit. It was far easier once I swapped both stick.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
It was the last good Metal Gear game.
Bullshit, V is great.
Yeah it is great but only really playable after beating with mods like a modern Bethesda game which is sad.
Nah, had plenty of fun the first time 'round, a third map would have bumped it to fucking amazing; gameplay ran out before the toys and enjoyment did. Would I replay without mods? Hell no.

I also could not manage to do the zendetsu phase, because default control are dogshit.
Died 3 times to that shit using the stick to slice -__

Ventidius

Arbiter
Been playing Astral Chain lately and can definitely recommend it to fans of these sorts of games. As far as combat challenge and refinement it may not be as sophisticated as something like DMC5, but it compensates for that by having some very unique mechanics for a hack and slash, in large part due to the Legion system. It's nice to see Platinum doing something creative with the subgenre.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Platinum Games co-developed Final Fantasy XVI as revealed in the pre-launch party for the game.

The Director of Astral Chain led the team on Platinum's side.

Last edited:

Amurada

Educated
Platinum Games co-developed Final Fantasy XVI as revealed in the pre-launch party for the game.

I'm curious what facet Platinum had in the game when the KH4 developer is the only one who explicitly cited that his team worked on 'the battles'. Combat wise, I've come to prefer KH2/3 to Platinum titles -- altho W101 is in my top 20 games.

Duraframe300

Arcane

I'm curious what facet Platinum had in the game when the KH4 developer is the only one who explicitly cited that his team worked on 'the battles'. Combat wise, I've come to prefer KH2/3 to Platinum titles -- altho W101 is in my top 20 games.
It sounded like Platinum did that and more (I assume they worked on the Eikon battles that are bigger in scale too, they actually do remind one of Platinum in retrospect).

KH team sounded more advisory and specific.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom