Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Telltale: Game of Thrones

Athelas

Arcane
I wonder if we'll hear a lot of cussing like in the TV show.
It's Telltale, their writing is too bland for that.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
GameOfThrones A @TelltaleGames Series Ep 1 #IronFromIce

12/2 PC/Mac; PS4 SCEA
12/3 Xbox One & 360; PS4 SCEE
12/4 iOS

Additional release details for #GameOfThrones Ep 1

12/9 PS3 SCEA & SCEE

android dates for December forthcoming

That means 2nd of December, 2/12, for those using a non-retarded system of dating.

Starwars

Arcane
While I would never call them "adventure games", I quite enjoy the Telltale offerings. Sometimes the story is stupid, the gameplay is terrible and so on, but the stories are fun to follow. I kinda enjoy the format though it's a shame they can't crank out more proper consequences.

I'm looking forward to this, though I'll get it only when the full season is released.

A horse of course

So how shit is this? TWAU was so interminably average that I've no interest in playing another Telltale game, especially one using a setting I have no particular affection for.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
First impressions? During the start of the game you get thrown into the red wedding. While a fun start in itself I came across the same enemy soldier's character model several times. Even thought the guy was haunting me until I realised it was just Telltale reusing the same assets. While I get they re-use some assets I still think it's kinda wierd for a big name game to have the same ones pop up so often. Especially at the opening when you want to make an impression as a dev.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Let's be honest - Telltale's games are basically semi-interactive cartoons with, well, bad-production values for a cartoon or feature series, but decent for a video game. However, their production values for game play are practically non-existent, so you have this weird hybrid, stuck between the world of games and films/shows and doing neither quite well. Just mediocre enough to be successful, I guess, hah!

Bt

Astral Rag

Arcane
Telltale "games" have next to no actual gameplay, might as well just watch them on youtube if you're interested in their story lines.

Not sure why these "games" have threads in Adventure Gaming :rpgcodex:

Last edited:

Psquit

Arcane
As always the c&c are non-existent.

If you choose to show force. Ramsay will only points out how weak your army is. Knife to the neck

If you choose Diplomacy. Ramsay will only points out how weak your army is. knife to the neck

In the end is just different flavors of the same shit.

tumblr_mrlob5Tr7q1se9fcoo1_500.gif

Shadenuat

Arcane
Another telltale "thing" where nothing you do matters. Telltale knows how to make you interested but doesn't know how to make a game. And in a GoT game, fake C&C and immortal plot NPCs ruin the whole idea of the setting. GoT RPG did it right unlike this crap.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm sorta disappointed this requires knowledge of the TV show. Cyanide's RPG managed to tell a good story even if, like me, you hadn't watched the show or read the books.

I wanted to give this a try, but I guess I'll pass for now. No big loss tho'.

DemonKing

Arcane
I agree that it's not really a game - even TWD had a few vague puzzle like sequences but all this has is lots of talking and a few QT events (which pretty much disappear anyway after the first sequence).

The art design is pretty good though (although there were a few weird graphical issues for me with some blurring around the edges of objects) and it is reasonably well-integrated into the books/series. Naturally, choices don't seem to have much effect in the end but the story that's there is well told. The ending is satisfying too in the way they managed to set you up and then pull the rug out from under you ala Martin.

I think it's decent for what it is, although I'm not sure having the HBO actors present really added a great deal but I guess that's how the masses know those characters now so they would be confused if there was a dwarf who didn't look like Peter Dinklage turning up...:roll:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So yet another Telltale "movie" of which you should just watch a Youtube video because there is absolutely no game play.

I am shocked.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Telltale "games" have next to no actual gameplay, might as well just watch them on youtube if you're interested in their story lines.

Not sure why these "games" have threads in Adventure Gaming :rpgcodex:
That minimal interactivity I just a device to make the experience stronger, at the core it's just a movie. I get off on stories and cinematic feels, not on realistic gfx/physics, so I dig it... but I feel used after that (that also includes CoD, B:I etc.).

Yeah, calling TWD and later TTG games "adventure games" is a very big stretch or a straight lie.

And ffs if anyone didn't play GoT RPG - get it on some sale and start with Beyond the Wall.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I get that these games are certainly entertaining for some folks, but calling them Adventure Games gives me the poop shudders.

Bt

7h30n

Augur
Exactly. Tex Murphy games are better games than this and even the authors say that Tex Murphy is an interactive movie and not an (adventure) game.

curry

Arcane
I get that these games are certainly entertaining for some folks, but calling them Adventure Games gives me the poop shudders.

That's because the games you consider adventure games are actually puzzle games. If you remove the puzzles, they are no different from these Telltale games.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!

That's because the games you consider adventure games are actually puzzle games. If you remove the puzzles, they are no different from these Telltale games.
All the adventure games I've played (not many though) had more logistical freedom and there was usually lots of dialogues and item inspecting (reading journals, finding clues on objects) - that adds a lot of complexity and depth. In TWD you're usually trapped in one or two locations, it's very hard not to notice usable items, dialogues are brief and item/environmental feedback is minimal - the effort required from player is just enough to give the feeling of agency, but is rarely any challenge.

Even MMO like TSW is more of an adventure game than TWD - you have to gather clues through dialogue and item inspection (accessing computers and smartphones, reading journals, even listening to car navigation), you have to figure out where to go and items become usable only when you're close to them - you need to know what you're looking for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom