Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Temple of Elemental Evil fixes-only patch?

1eyedking

Erudite
I'm in the mood for some turn-based RPG combat, which I sorely miss. Thus I'm considering reinstalling ToEE.

I remember the D&D-faithful battles, but I also remember the cruel bugs and amputated content.

Sadly, I also recall the Circle of Eight mod-fixes which along squashing bugs brought about infantile modified content in the form of Final Fantasy swords, unrelated quests, laughable voice-acting and some unneeded, overpowered spells and items.

So I ask this: is there a fixes-only patch for ToEE somewhere in the universe?

oldschool

Scholar
I played it with just the official patches, and it worked fine. The only bug I remember was when you used one of the swords with AoO against large creatures, the combat would stall out. I don't know if the Co8 stuff fixes that or not. Wasn't a game-breaker for me.

Anyway(s), I think patch 2 & 3 were what I used. Found them over at Soercerer's Place:

ToEE Patches

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I still can't understand what went wrong with ToEE. Arcanum and Bloodlines are some of the best written RPGs I've played, but ToEE's dialogue is so awful it hurts my eyes and brain reading it and you have to be Sherlock Fucking Holmes to find a coherent story.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
When Cain, Boyarsky and Anderson are in team, we get good story and mediocre combat.
When Cain is alone we get good combat and awful story.
When Boyarsky and Anderson and no Cain we get awful combat and good story.

Therefore Cain's presense defines combat quality.
Boyarsky and Anderson define story.

Cogar

Novice
oldschool said:
I played it with just the official patches, and it worked fine. The only bug I remember was when you used one of the swords with AoO against large creatures, the combat would stall out. I don't know if the Co8 stuff fixes that or not. Wasn't a game-breaker for me.

Anyway(s), I think patch 2 & 3 were what I used. Found them over at Soercerer's Place:

ToEE Patches
My guess is that this is the better choice compared to the "80/20 compromise" offered by Co8--and closer to the OP's request. I really like what Drog Black Tooth did in the Unofficial Arcanum Patch. Although it could be argued that he changed some content, changing the stats of a dagger or restoring the artwork for a strongbox differs from the changes I suspect still exist in Co8's new content removal mod/patch.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
What I really dislike was the addition of custom content like a crappy map that used Diablo 2 backgrounds. And it looked like shit.

1eyedking

Erudite
Yeah, I guess I'm going to go with the patches.

Back in the day there were none, so maybe they managed to solve the real game-killers.

PS: The third patch makes my game crash. Does anyone if there were any issues with it?

oldschool

Scholar
1eyedking said:
Yeah, I guess I'm going to go with the patches.

Back in the day there were none, so maybe they managed to solve the real game-killers.

PS: The third patch makes my game crash. Does anyone if there were any issues with it?

I didn't have any issues with it, that I recall. Some folks had a looting bug, where you could see items on the ground, but couldn't click on them. Patch 3 was supposed to fix that. If you don't have that bug, then you don't need that patch.

It has been a while, so my memory might be fuzzy. I would think the Sorcerer's Place would be the best shot at finding a work-around or seeing what issues folks might have had with the patches.

Edit: Also, if you aren't using DirectX 9.0c, I wouldn't think you would want to use Patch 3.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
1eyedking said:
Sadly, I also recall the Circle of Eight mod-fixes which along squashing bugs brought about infantile modified content in the form of Final Fantasy swords, unrelated quests, laughable voice-acting and some unneeded, overpowered spells and items.

Some of these, like the new quests, are optional and I never install them. The rest, like the fantasy swords, I just ignore.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
inwoker said:
When Cain, Boyarsky and Anderson are in team, we get good story and mediocre combat.

The holy trinity.

1eyedking

Erudite
Jaime Lannister said:
inwoker said:

The holy trinity.
What about Avellone?

PS: The starter town is more boring than I remember.

NiM82

Prophet
To hijack this thread, anyone know if Keep on the Borderland is worth bothering with?

Crichton

Prophet
To hijack this thread, anyone know if Keep on the Borderland is worth bothering with?

I played the demo and posted some impressions back when it (the demo) first came out.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=479645&highlight=&sid=2436c3deee721272b30a51b949f6f6cb

The content is pretty good (by ToEE standards) but there are a lot of really sad amateurish engine work-arounds (skills that don't show up on the screen, weird little dildo-looking thing that you have to use to find secret doors, etc) that kind of detract from the whole thing.

A lot of work went into it so I'd presume that ShiningTed has continued to chip away and things have improved since the demo. Bottom line: if you liked the old Gold Box games, give it a shot. If you need more "role-playing", don't bother.

sirfink

Scholar
1eyedking said:

Did you read the patch notes? Most people don't need patch 3, just 2. Patch 3 is for people with a specific video problem or something. Don't remember exactly.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Jaime Lannister said:
"I didn't touch the... shop inventories"

Final Fantasy swords will probably still be in.

*ahem* I said I mostly didn't touch those. The guillotine blade is out as far as I recall. The kukris and katanas and tantos and what-not are probably still in though.

There are still many bugs in the troika patch version (see buglist), but most of them aren't game-breaking (except perhaps the node slowdowns/crashes, but those haven't been fixed in Co8 either). The one that personally irks me the most is that enlarge person doesn't extend your reach, which is fixed in Co8. There are also various crafting issues which are present in troika-patch version and have been fixed by Co8.

Cogar said:
changing the stats of a dagger or restoring the artwork for a strongbox differs from the changes I suspect still exist in Co8's new content removal mod/patch.

Such as?

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
1eyedking said:
inwoker said:
1eyedking said:
What about Avellone?
Avellone defines superb writing in story about amnesiac also featuring some old lady.
So the awesomeness of Fallout 2 is to be attributed to...?
Don't try to confuse me. Villagers of arroyo forgot where Vault 13 is. That's amnesia. Elder of village is old lady. So the answer to your question is Avellone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom