Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Terra Invicta - sci-fi grand strategy from Long War mod creators - now available on Early Access

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I think this game will have the same problems at launch that it had back in the nextfest demo. They, and Hooded Horse, have no idea how to produce a goof tutorial and a good UI.
There is already a tutorial in the dev build. It basically shows you in every windows what each thing does or represents and gives you a few tips along the way.
The tutorial during Nextfest was incredibly shit, as was the UI. Of course that was a very early demo but their team didn't seem like they knew how to fix the UI or tutorial last time I talked to them.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I really get some X-COM vibes in this game, we're all stuck on earth fighting for influence while an unknown alien threat constantly sends ships towards Earth. The councilor game is interesting and engaging, and the feeling of rapid progress towards the industrialization of space is great. I am currently developing tech like reusable rockets to increase my boost capabilities and expand into space since almost all the nations have been taken by different factions and it's very hard to take someones control point. Biggest worry is the servant faction slowly taking over China which is the biggest economy in the world.
game.jpg

Last edited:

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I finally got further into the game. Had quite a lot of mining colonies, a few on Mars, on Ceres, some asteroids. Started designing ships and experienced the combat. I think this game will work really well once it's done. It's already fun and it can only get better in the future. An interesting thing is that the concept of large unions is a researchable technology. (several technologies) This means you start the game as normal in 2022. but you are expected to form progressively larger unions. This really helps lower the micromanagement later on in the game when you want to focus more on space. One thing I didn't notice at all is the difference between the factions. Servants are obviously helping the aliens as much as possible, and Humanity First is nuking them every chance they get but other factions feel completely neutral.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Only 2 more days lads! Humanity First!

Btw. this must surely be the most pathetic-sounding faction of any 4X:

The Protectorate advocates negotiated surrender as the only means to avoid annihilation
They need to change them to Xeno Worshipers, that they think the Aliens are gods and are coming to uplift humanity. Similar to Advent in Xcom.
The whole "Let's give up" thing I agree doesn't work here the aliens are pretty clearly trying to kill humanity so its like "If we're obedient to them maybe they'll reward those who worship them"

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

The Protectorate advocates negotiated surrender as the only means to avoid annihilation
They need to change them to Xeno Worshipers, that they think the Aliens are gods and are coming to uplift humanity. Similar to Advent in Xcom.
The whole "Let's give up" thing I agree doesn't work here the aliens are pretty clearly trying to kill humanity so its like "If we're obedient to them maybe they'll reward those who worship them"
That's the servants faction

Mitleser2020

Scholar

Reminder that this is a faction led by a human rights lawyer.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Are they? Afaik in this there is just a crashed alien ship, no one knows what the aliens want from the start. And negotiated surrender makes some sense as a strategy as the aliens might well wish to avoid a costly war (interstellar travel is expensive).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/xcoms-best-modders-have-made-a-mind-boggling-grand-strategy-game/

XCOM's best modders have made a mind-boggling grand strategy game​

Defeating aliens with politics, rocket science, and space mining in Terra Invicta.

It didn't take long for me to realize Terra Invicta was going to be something special. A standalone game from the creators of XCOM and XCOM 2's ambitious Long War mods, Pavonis Interactive has basically taken the strategic layer from XCOM and turned it into a Paradox-style grand strategy game. The scope is just mind-boggling from the get go, and it never really stops feeling that way. Every major nation on Earth in 2022 is simulated alongside the entire solar system—out to asteroids and ice dwarfs beyond the orbit of Pluto. Describing it sounds almost ridiculous until you see it for yourself. And somehow, it also actually works.

The start date is right about now, with everything down to the Russia-Ukraine conflict and membership in transnational alliances like the EU and NATO modeled in detail. Countries have all sorts of ratings that affect how they behave, from military technology level to political freedom to wealth inequality, which can each be nudged in either direction if you gain control of their foreign policy. The big difference is that an alien spaceship has crash landed somewhere on Earth, and no one agrees on what to do about it.

Unlike most grand strategy games, though, you're not playing as a nation in Terra Invicta. Rather, you take control of one of several factions with a specific idea about how to handle the discovery of intelligent, alien life. The Resistance is the default faction, and they're like your typical XCOM or Stargate Command—their main goal is to defend Earth from alien attacks and secure humanity's independence among the stars. The Protectorate, on the other hand, wishes to submit to the aliens as a vassal state, seeing a prolonged war as a doomed affair. Project Exodus figures the neighborhood is getting a bit crowded, and they only care about building a colony ship that will allow us to secure our species' future somewhere very far away.

There is a fairly sharp contrast, at least early on, between the absurd depth of the simulation and the relatively simple ways you can interact with it. Yes, it will track atmospheric CO2 on Earth to model global climate change, rising sea levels, and the resulting economic devastation, which hits some regions harder than others. Yes, there are multiple Lagrange points around the moons of Saturn where you could place a space station. But for the first year or so, this is essentially a spy game.

Your faction is led by a council of up to eight characters who all have different missions available to them and are good at certain things. A celebrity might excel at swaying public opinion toward your faction, while a spy is good at undermining other factions' agents. Their main job is to convert Earth's nations to your faction's ideology, which is the only way to secure more resources early on and can eventually give you control of their militaries and space programs, if they have either. This is done by targeting Control Points. Larger nations like the US and China have access to far more resources, but they also have more Control Points, all of which are much more difficult to capture.

Once you secure all of a nation's Control Points, you get to set their economic priorities and foreign policies. You could treat this like a futuristic Hearts of Iron if you wanted, and try to solidify support for your faction by conquering the world with conventional military operations. Just be aware that if you attack a country or alliance that has nukes, you may be making the aliens' job easier for them. That global temperature modeling can go the other direction, too, and a nuclear winter that kills off half the population is another possible way this can all end.

Information warfare​

The other factions will be attempting to dominate the globe, as well, including the ones that are pro-alien. The Servants, who think we should worship the invaders as gods, are a natural rival to the Resistance. Power blocs and even faction priorities will shift as researching alien activity slowly starts to give you a better picture of who these creatures are and what exactly they want. It's a slow burn mystery, and I certainly don't want to spoil any of it here. But I can say I was blindsided by some of the revelations that eventually came my way.

With the levers of power firmly in hand, you can shape the nations that have come over to your side in a number of ways. You can thoughtlessly pillage them for resources, try to create a utopian welfare state, or simply divert all funding toward developing a space program. And having a strong presence beyond the atmosphere will eventually be essential to securing victory.

The second phase of Terra Invicta opens up when you place your first space station. Using a resource called Boost that is generated by launch sites on Earth, you will join the scramble to colonize every planet, moon, and asteroid in sight. See, Earth has all this pesky gravity that makes launching large payloads of armor plating and laser beams prohibitively expensive. So you need to transition into acquiring resources in space and assembling new ships and stations out there. The aliens will have a head start on this, so there's no time to waste.

You'll start with fairly simple science stations like the ISS, but technology slowly unlocks options like orbital shipyards and lunar mining colonies. Out here, nation states don't matter as much anymore, and everything will either be owned by the aliens or directly by one of the human factions. Studying the aliens will not only teach you what they're doing here, but also help you catapult Earth's technology forward in an effort to catch up. Research points can be allocated to either increasing the global tech level, which helps everyone, or to your own faction's unique projects, which only benefit you. Most of those projects are unlocked by global techs, though, so you do have to care about both even if you want to keep all the shiny toys for yourself.

Finally, you're ready to start having space battles with aliens. And the pausable real time combat system takes things like momentum and facing into account, so don't expect Star Wars-style operatic dogfights. If you played Kerbal Space Program, you have some idea of what you're in for, except there are guns now. Mastering orbital transfer windows and balancing Delta-v for long voyages against combat maneuverability are essential. It's a system I've barely scratched the surface of yet.

Terra Invicta's breathtaking ambition means it's more than a bit cumbersome, and the barrier to entry is high. But I'm captivated by how it all comes together and delivers on its sky high promises while telling a compelling story with so many twists and turns. Even having played a couple dozen hours so far, I feel like I'm just getting started. I think this one is going to leave a meteoric impact on the kinds of strategy gamers who love spreadsheets, geopolitics, and kicking alien ass as much as I do.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
That's the servants faction
ah ok yeah I'm getting confused with the factions, the resistance and humanity first also have some overlaps too.
Well, then this faction is just the Vichy France of Terra Invicta then so it makes a little more sense now that I think about it.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
This is how the dev describes them:
RESIST -- The Resist faction, which is the default faction for the human player, sees the aliens as a threat to human autonomy. They are prepared to fight to preserve it.

DESTROY -- The Destroy faction responds to the alien arrival with xenophobia. They want not just to defeat the aliens, but to wipe them out entirely, along with any humans who work with them.

APPEASE -- Supporters of this faction acknowledge the aliens' technological superiority and believe that any resistance is doomed to fail, at a potentially huge cost to the human race. They hope to maintain a measure of human independence through granting concessions to whatever the aliens demand.

COOPERATE -- This optimistic faction believes the aliens can ultimately be persuaded to establish peaceful trade and an exchange of ideas, if only Earth can unite and speak with one voice.

SUBMIT -- This faction regards the aliens as superior beings in every facet and wishes for them to conquer Earth. They will support the aliens at every opportunity.

ESCAPE -- This faction believes the aliens will eventually enslave or destroy humanity and intends to build interstellar generation ships to flee the Solar System in an attempt to save the species. They will attempt to direct Earth’s resources away from resistance and toward this outcome.

EXPLOIT -- This faction sees opportunity instead of danger in the aliens’ arrival, and its leaders seek to enrich themselves and gain positions of power around the world, perhaps by taking the aliens' tools as their own. Many of their "supporters" have been persuaded the aliens are a hoax.
The most bizarre to me is the EXPLOIT faction or the Initiative as it's called in-game. What possible fun would a player have helping some NPC get money from alien tech... And what use is money if the aliens want to exterminate or conquer us.

RESIST - resistance
DESTROY - humanity first
APPEASE - the protectorate
COOPERATE - academy
SUBMIT - servants
ESCAPE - project exodus
EXPLOIT - the initiative

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
What possible fun would a player have helping some NPC get money from alien tech... And what use is money if the aliens want to exterminate or conquer us.
If by fun you mean destabilizing the entire world with corruption. I mean... yeah that would actually be fun tbh I've been thinking about what happens when you turn the spoils option up to full-on multiple countries. I wonder if it crashes the entire global economy. I guess its more the case of "we're going to lose this war anyway, might as well make some dollars off it".

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
The spoils give your factions lots of money and does some weird shit like increase greenhouse gasses which constantly lowers everyone's GDP by a certain percentage. I was in a situation where it was very hard to raise my GDP or stop it from falling although that was probably because humanity first was nuking other countries constantly.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is how the dev describes them:
RESIST -- The Resist faction, which is the default faction for the human player, sees the aliens as a threat to human autonomy. They are prepared to fight to preserve it.

DESTROY -- The Destroy faction responds to the alien arrival with xenophobia. They want not just to defeat the aliens, but to wipe them out entirely, along with any humans who work with them.

APPEASE -- Supporters of this faction acknowledge the aliens' technological superiority and believe that any resistance is doomed to fail, at a potentially huge cost to the human race. They hope to maintain a measure of human independence through granting concessions to whatever the aliens demand.

COOPERATE -- This optimistic faction believes the aliens can ultimately be persuaded to establish peaceful trade and an exchange of ideas, if only Earth can unite and speak with one voice.

SUBMIT -- This faction regards the aliens as superior beings in every facet and wishes for them to conquer Earth. They will support the aliens at every opportunity.

ESCAPE -- This faction believes the aliens will eventually enslave or destroy humanity and intends to build interstellar generation ships to flee the Solar System in an attempt to save the species. They will attempt to direct Earth’s resources away from resistance and toward this outcome.

EXPLOIT -- This faction sees opportunity instead of danger in the aliens’ arrival, and its leaders seek to enrich themselves and gain positions of power around the world, perhaps by taking the aliens' tools as their own. Many of their "supporters" have been persuaded the aliens are a hoax.
The most bizarre to me is the EXPLOIT faction or the Initiative as it's called in-game. What possible fun would a player have helping some NPC get money from alien tech... And what use is money if the aliens want to exterminate or conquer us.

RESIST - resistance
DESTROY - humanity first
APPEASE - the protectorate
COOPERATE - academy
SUBMIT - servants
ESCAPE - project exodus
EXPLOIT - the initiative
The most bizarre is that there is any other option except Exploit.. we all know that is only thing humans would do in RL if something like this happened.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm surprised there ins't an Illuminati-style faction just going "How can we use this mess to take over the planet for ourselves?" and playing everyone in the process. Like EXALT, or The Light in Young Justice S02.
That's basically EXPLOIT though. Don't really care too much what's going on with the aliens, just seeing it as an opportunity to end up on top in the new world order, whether it be as the wealthiest humans on a planet that just jumped centuries in tech or as the local administrators in the alien empire.

I didn't really like the demo of this game (too many fucking options and not enough useful help from the game), but I think if I watch/read some lp or guide first I could enjoy it.

The most bizarre is that there is any other option except Exploit.. we all know that is only thing humans would do in RL if something like this happened.
Nah. Humanity immediately splintering into different ideologies of various forms of cowardice, optimism, etc makes a huge amount of sense. Especially when the aliens are far away.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I didn't really like the demo of this game (too many fucking options and not enough useful help from the game), but I think if I watch/read some lp or guide first I could enjoy it.
You just really need to figure out the councilor game and get to know some useful strategies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom