Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Dire Roach

Prophet
I just purchased the demo from TPB and yes, it works as long as you've installed the correct .net and xna versions. It's the full version with the faggy new sprites.

Regarding the doubts in my previous post, I've found the controls to work just as I imagined them, no clunkyness there. Though I can tell that the interface could use some improvement by adding tooltips and letting you change all the shortcut key bindings, at the very least.

baronjohn

Cipher
Post more screenshots. My time is too valuable to play sandbox games but I'm still entertained by the crazy things you aspies build/do.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Give the 'demo' a try. it's not so much an aimless builder like MC (tho you can build of course), there's clear progression and new challenges as your character gets stronger - via gear, no stats or skills.

Exmit

Scholar
Just as promised , the dev team is delivering, there is a patch already with bug fixes and improvements , something you won't get so fast from tptb :smug:

Exmit

Scholar
Post more screenshots. My time is too valuable to play sandbox games but I'm still entertained by the crazy things you aspies build/do.

Presenting , Vault 99 :yeah:

2M4j0.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
FFS I destroyed a Shadow Orb and a meteorite crashed, but I can't find it. I've gone to both edges of the map and no meteorite. I even made the Obsidian Skull so I could mine it without dying. Where the fuck is it.
:x

Exmit

Scholar
Hobo Elf said:
FFS I destroyed a Shadow Orb and a meteorite crashed, but I can't find it. I've gone to both edges of the map and no meteorite. I even made the Obsidian Skull so I could mine it without dying. Where the fuck is it.
:x

There is a 50% chance that metor will crash, even if you destroy orb it might not land.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Just keep looking, once you see the flying meteorite head rape gangs you know you've got it.

Of course, if you're unlucky it could've dropped into one of the Corruption chasms or some other deep hole. Mine was in a water body but fortunately at least it was somewhat shallow.

@exmit:

I think he meant that he got the text 'meteorite has landed'.

Btw there's already a mapper program out, it'll of course ruin the exploration aspect completely.

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/t ... ewer.4226/

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Next layer of the tower is built. Going to take quite a while to fill the magma pockets though. Also, when I initially had the Dryad move in, I was 2000 feet underground and the cunt decided to walk across the hall into the workshop room and jump into the lava pit. Then she did it again and again till I caught her doing it and realized I had to put a block there so she couldn't suicide any more. Also, I have an awesome pit that leads directly to the bottom of the world right underneath my place. Took forever to get it to go through all the magma pockets.

Lava is awesome for killing hordes of enemies or trees btw. :thumbsup:

EpicCastle2.png

Canus

Savant
It would appear that one of the torrents has a keylogger tied to the Terraria application itself. Torrent is titled simple Terraria. I know you fine gentleman are far too :obviously: to torrent anything, so I shall merely leave this as an interesting tidbit of information.

Damned Registrations

Damn, that's fucking awesome. When I played the beta leak the first map I made had generated a floating island above a mountain so that I could see vines hanging down from the sky very close to my starting location. Was pretty cool. I also had a meteorite land on top of another partially mined out meteorite. I wonder if they could strike your town?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Apparently they won't spawn in areas with walls (the background walls in your town).
Also, I finally mined the meteorite but I only got like 1/5th of the amount of ore that you'd normally get had it properly hit the earth instead of partially hitting a floating island. Oh well. I'm nearly decked out in full Molten gear anyway. Just need to get the obsidian. Managed to mine 1000 demonite ore in one run. It's kind of easy and relaxing once you realise that the best way to deal with the imps is to ignore them (unless they teleport right next to you). Just keep on mining that ore and you'll also deflect the fireballs with your pickaxe. The giant snakes can be a bit of a problem though.

Damned Registrations

I had a lot of trouble mining out stuff around the imps myself. Most of the underworld is flooded now I think, I tapped into an insane amount of water on my way down, and it might be buggily multiplying or something based on the volume it's filled. At any rate, trying to not drown while moving slowly underwater and dodging fireballs and worms with shitty armor was... interesting. The biggest problem was that I didn't find a second heart until I reached the imps. Was running around with 120 hp for a VERY long time.

The demonite armor set gives an attack speed bonus, would be pretty cool for doing a lot of mining. I'm currently begining to delve into the dungeon. Hoping they added some new items in there since the leak.

Multi-headed Cow

Noble effort, but it's too obvious.

Edit: OH GOD I GOT TO THE END, CHANGED OPINION, BEST REVIEW

Ashery

Prophet
Soooo, we doin any 'dexian multi or what?

Would recommend starting with fresh characters.

Damned Registrations

Might be fun, but currently the only way to do multiplayer is for someone to host the server in a second instance of the game on the same PC they're playing on, or own 2 copies of the game. Serparate server program isn't finished yet. Probably within a week.

Would be awesome busting into the dungeon with half a dozen people though.

Ashery

Prophet
All depends on how bandwith intensive the game is. Doubt it'll be too hard on the rest of my hardware as I've largely left the game running despite playing other games in the meantime.

Also, it seems as though many people are using hamachi to run servers from my brief look at their forums.

Will be up for fooling around with settings/testing lag after my next death. Fucking took ages to get to where I'm at (Nearly at hell on a large map).

Edit: Seriously, fuck hell. Fuck it up the ass. I don't know how the hell you managed to get any hellstone back, let alone as much as you did. Might just need better gear, but I can't find shit (Hurray for duplicates).

Multi-headed Cow

Was playing with 5 bros (4 of which were outside of the host's local network) earlier and it was sort of neat. Only downside being everyone was newbie except for two of the bros, who were decked out in fat gear and kept spawning the Eater of Worlds. They twinked me a bit but since I brought in my singleplayer dude foolishly I'm considering throwing away my twinked treasures like the hamaxe. Though it's pretty cool. So damn cool. UNGH.

Anyway, the performance was pretty good. There was some noticeable lag, but it seemed more manageable than Minecraft lag during combat, so that was nice. Seems like an even bigger clusterfuck in MP than Minecraft gameplay-wise due to being 2D and all the monsters, I'd say the sweet spot would be 2 or 3 players tops.

Ashery

Prophet
Anyone up for helping test the setup?

Enabled port forwarding for 31337, but I'll need someone else to help test the connection.

Just toss me a message on Steam (Same name, in the Codex steam group) and I'll give you the ip info.

Damned Registrations

Added you on steam. Can't seem to send a message. Only works when someone has added you too I guess?

Ashery

Prophet
Server's working like a charm, but hasn't been tested under any real load.

Just send a message over steam if ya want to join.

Edit: Done for the night, will start up again sometime tomorrow evening (PST). Throw me a message on Steam tomorrow if you're interested in joining.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom