Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tex Murphy Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's with the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes-style title presentation?

Also name and logo reminds me of Mass Effect.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They got $600,000 and Double Fine has around $7-8 million counting their KS, IndieFund, and Humble Bundle proceeds. Yeah... BUT YOU CANT MAKE AN ADVENTURE GAME FOR SO LITTLE, AMIRITE?!?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
But Chris Jones obviously doesn't dream as high as Schafer.

Schafer spends 600k just thinking about which engine to use, that's how high he dreams.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
At the risk of sounding trite... I'd say something along the lines of "kindly shut up and take my money" if it weren't for the fact they had already gotten it.
Looks lovely.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Well, there'll obviously be a good Kickstarter game after all. I wonder how lengthy this game is.

Also, I take it's not based on that Polarity thing that was supposed to be Tex 6 initially. I wonder if they'll reckon the ending of Overseer.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, there'll obviously be a good Kickstarter game after all. I wonder how lengthy this game is.

Also, I take it's not based on that Polarity thing that was supposed to be Tex 6 initially. I wonder if they'll reckon the ending of Overseer.
They've actually mentioned the ending of Overseer, IIRC. I think they retconned it into being a stun gun.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They got $600,000 and Double Fine has around $7-8 million counting their KS, IndieFund, and Humble Bundle proceeds. Yeah... BUT YOU CANT MAKE AN ADVENTURE GAME FOR SO LITTLE, AMIRITE?!?

It's pretty obvious this game has a larger budget than what they got on Kickstarter, though. The former Access Software guys have been gathering funds to make this game for many years.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's pretty obvious this game has a larger budget than what they got on Kickstarter, though. The former Access Software guys have been gathering funds to make this game for many years.
They've been FAILING to gather the funds for exactly 15 years. Now Chris did mention 600k was not the entire game's budget and that he had private funders outside of the KS, but it's certainly not gonna be 10M (otherwise he'd have done the game without the KS). Of course he has Adrian Carr working on directing (and presumably he'll have a hand in production too) and the man can do wonders even with a tiny budget. It all comes down to how you manage your funds. And Chris and Adrian and everyone else involved have had experience with managing limited funds to do as much as possible for decades now - Jones wasn't just a game designer, he co-founded Access (with the late Bruce Carver) and according to Wikipedia was finance exective for a good while.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
As Sceptic says, this is being made on the smell of an oily rag. Chris and co have been nothing if not BRILLIANT at stretching their budget for all the important points. I read that they got a bit from their HOG's and from outside investors but even then it would be a tiny fraction of DF's ubiquitous 'quirky cartoon' style point and clicker. I don't expect miracles and I'm sure there will be evidence of low budgetitis in the game but as Chris said, if it does the business there will be room for a more ambitious game in the future.

Kz3r0

Arcane
They've been FAILING to gather the funds for exactly 15 years. Now Chris did mention 600k was not the entire game's budget and that he had private funders outside of the KS, but it's certainly not gonna be 10M (otherwise he'd have done the game without the KS). Of course he has Adrian Carr working on directing (and presumably he'll have a hand in production too) and the man can do wonders even with a tiny budget. It all comes down to how you manage your funds. And Chris and Adrian and everyone else involved have had experience with managing limited funds to do as much as possible for decades now - Jones wasn't just a game designer, he co-founded Access (with the late Bruce Carver) and according to Wikipedia was finance exective for a good while.
I think that the most important thing is that they DO want to make the game and have a pretty good idea of how the game will be, quite different from the "hey give us money and we will think of something" attitude coupled with fooling around.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Maybe Schafer can hire Chris Jones as a publisher. But he'd need another KS drive to pay him.

Branm

Learned
Impressive considering the budget....I'm gonna have to support these guys once the game is released

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

It's not just about making the game, that 600k may mean that the studio can end up keeping the ownership rights to the game and franchise.

Also, for a publisher, the small but steady trickle of sales after the initial release of the game might not be worth their time, but for an indie studio, those steady sales can give them an income that gives them some financial breathing room.

trustno1code

Prophet
It's not just about making the game, that 600k may mean that the studio can end up keeping the ownership rights to the game and franchise.
They've secured the rights to the IP back in 2008 or 2009 I think. Thanks to which they've been getting the cut from Tex sales on GOG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom