Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tex Murphy Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Chris has had at least part of the IP for a very long time now - hence the Radio Theatre all the way back then. But yeah I think that since then he's gotten full rights back, which is great.

m_s0

Arcane
Maybe Schafer can get an internship at Big Finish Games, so Chris Jones can teach him how to budget and properly manage projects.

Fixed that for you.

The trailer looks great - can't wait for the game.

Kz3r0

Arcane

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Larry Thomas: Yes, Seinfeld’s ‘Soup Nazi’ is in Tesla Effect. Larry plays Lt. Danwicz, who takes over police duties from Mac Malden [the late Kevin Jones].
First I was annoyed having a bloody Seinfeld actor in there. Then I was angry they were replacing Kevin Jones. Then I read why... and now I'm sad :( RIP Kevin, you brought a dimension to McMalden that will forever be remembered :salute:

Taylor [played by Jodi Russell] slaps Tex several times [it is interactive after all]. Chris took it on the cheek a few times, and I mean literally. I stood in for Tex the day Ariel [Shannon Engemann] had to slap Tex hard. Chris was absent to attend a personal matter and I have to say after a few whacks you sorta get to like it – is that weird?
:lol: Adrian Carr :love:

Some of the on-stage anecdotes are hilarious too. It really looks like everyone was having a good time making this, despite the extremely tight schedule. You can also see why the game cost so little despite so much FMV: they hired each actor for a SINGLE day. This is how you manage a tight budget.

It really is a great intreview. More of a monologue in parts, with Carr telling stories of TPD and the actors involved (so many of which have sadly departed since), but they're all great stories for anyone who likes the games.

The reason the Tex Murphy adventure games succeeded back in the '90s and most others failed was… story.
No Adrian, the reason TPD is considered as the best by so many of us is... gameplay. Both the story and the FMV were great, but the story by itself wouldn't have done anything if it didn't support a large complex game world with a ton of challenging puzzles and quite a bit of nonlinearity, and if the FMV didn't react so well to choices that the player made. The reason Tex games succeeded and are remembered and we want more of them, is that unlike most other FMV games they managed to bring all the elements together, and the story did not steal away from the fact this was a game. It was an interactive movie, whereas all the others were "interactive" movies. Never forget that.

I would like them to treat Tesla Effect like a Choose Your Own Adventure book, especially as Chris Jones plans to have a simplified version of the game for people who would love to experience Aaron Conners’s story but are intimidated by the game-puzzle aspects.
I don't mind simplified versions. MI2 had a simplified version for the pansies, and the Mega Monkey version was awesome. If you're implementing a simple CYOA version, keep in mind those of us who LIKE challenging puzzles in our Tex Murphy.

Screenshots make me go all :bounce:

commie

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
That was a fantastic interview !

Adrian Carr said:
I stood in for Tex the day Ariel [Shannon Engemann] had to slap Tex hard. Chris was absent to attend a personal matter and I have to say after a few whacks you sorta get to like it...

mistress.jpg

159.gif

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I don't mind simplified versions. MI2 had a simplified version for the pansies, and the Mega Monkey version was awesome. If you're implementing a simple CYOA version, keep in mind those of us who LIKE challenging puzzles in our Tex Murphy.

Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive both had "cinematic" game modes with fewer and easier puzzles, so it's a common thing for Tex Murphy. It's easy to do anyway.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive both had "cinematic" game modes with fewer and easier puzzles, so it's a common thing for Tex Murphy. It's easy to do anyway.
UKM didn't actually. And TPD's didn't change the "adventure game puzzles" at all, it only changed the "puzzle game puzzles", if you see what I mean. My understanding from what both Chris and Adrian have said is that Tesla Effect easymode will affect both aspects of the game. As I said I don't mind; and I know that Chris has the ability to make a game that appeals to both casuals and hardcore with the different modes, as TPD did. I just want them to know that the audience who wants the hardmore DOES exist and does not want hardmore simplified; keep that for the easymode (I should probably post this in the back fora... I don't think any of them read the 'dex).

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fucking great stuff. I am wary of coming here though lest I see something of TE among the posts. I want everything to be a surprise.

Oh and as Sceptic says: don't skimp on the challenging stuff for afficionados. I didn't wait 15+ years for a new Tex game only to be able to finish it effortlessly in 3 hours!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
New trailer out.....heh heh heh...:bounce:

Fuck yeahhhh!!!! 3D locations look great!

(I know I said I couldn't watch any spoilerish stuff, but I couldn't stay away)

This looks a thousand times better than Broken Age.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Damn it, I swore not to TOUCH anything related to spoilers until it comes out, and I broke down and watched the trailer too.

IT LOOKS AWESOME.

Seems like they've gone with the general direction that TPD and Overseer were going, much darker than UKM. I like. And it looks like they did go with a sort of time skip to explain why everyone's older, and woven that tightly into the story. This looks immensely promising.

I can't believe I'm getting excited over a new Tex Murphy game. The world holds endless suprirses.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The art style is outdated ; everything looks amateurish and out of place. The acting doesn't appear to be extremely proffesionnal however...

Fuck, I love it. I absolutely love it. GOTY 2014. That's one project I'm glad I backed. It's fucking Tex Murphy.

Deleted member 7219

Dat music from 7:23 onwards. So fucking glad Tex Murphy is back.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Damn it, I swore not to TOUCH anything related to spoilers until it comes out, and I broke down and watched the trailer too.

IT LOOKS AWESOME.

Seems like they've gone with the general direction that TPD and Overseer were going, much darker than UKM. I like. And it looks like they did go with a sort of time skip to explain why everyone's older, and woven that tightly into the story. This looks immensely promising.

I can't believe I'm getting excited over a new Tex Murphy game. The world holds endless suprirses.

Even the corny humour is still right on the money, and the deliberate acting excesses. Glad to see that my boxed copy will become an extremely valuable collector's item. :smug:

Last edited:
FMV... bad acting and make up now in HD... Chandler Avenue, here I come...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom