Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The #5 RPGs of the Decade (that we think you should play)

DraQ

Arcane
Grunker said:
No Bloodlines or Deus Ex, but Gothic II and Morrowind? What THE fuck? RPG = shitty sandboxes now?
Morrowind = Good, but the fact you don't :rage: about D2 even being on the list makes you look p. dumb.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
@DraQ: I picked those two because they enforced my sandbox-point. I'm equally filled with nerdrage by the Diablo-inclusion, never fear.

Darth Roxor said:
Grunker said:
Darth Roxor said:
Grunker said:
No Bloodlines or Deus Ex, but Gothic II and Morrowind? What THE fuck? RPG = shitty sandboxes now?

Butthurt detected :smug:

At least they didn't pick Risen :smug:

But they did pick Gothic 2 which is pretty much the same thing :smug:

True :cry:

denizsi

Arcane
So this is what it has come to: posting faux news posts for trolling.

If not... What a shit list. A total joke. D2? Morrowind? BG2 over TOEE?

FFS.

My list, ie. the kinds of games of the decade I'd like to see being made more:

Les Triplettes de Troika + Prelude to Darkness + G2 NOTR

entertainer

Arbiter
chat.jpg

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Re: The #5 RPGs of the Decade (that we think you should play

SuicideBunny said:
DarkUnderlord said:
only one mention of anachronox, bloodlines just mentioned in passing, but diablo 2 being recommended?
:decline: of codex staff.

Nigga please. Diablo is the direct grandpa of like two thirds of today's games. Even if roguelikes are the true masters of the genre, the Diablos really show how much you can distort a generation with a single game. Missing on Diablo for our generation is like having never watched Full House on TV.

Bloodlines? Missed potential.

DraQ

Arcane

SerratedBiz said:
Nigga please. Diablo is the direct grandpa of like two thirds of today's games.

1. Not an RPG, therefore irrelevant.

2. Diablo 2, therefore thankfully untrue, or we would have to endure non-persistent worlds and MMO rezzing in our SP RPGs now.

visions

Arcane

SerratedBiz said:
Missing on Diablo for our generation is like having never watched Full House on TV.

Prior to reading this post I had never even heard of this thing but given that apparently it's some kind of a sitcom I hope you are implying that missing on Diablo is like not wasting one's time on banal rubbish.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Rageing Atheist said:
SerratedBiz said:
Missing on Diablo for our generation is like having never watched Full House on TV.

Prior to reading this post I had never even heard of this thing but given that apparently it's some kind of a sitcom I hope you are implying that missing on Diablo is like not wasting one's time on banal rubbish.

Bingo.

random_encounter

Educated
Zed said:
More like a long forum post rather than a well-written article but the picks were okay. Not like there was a lot of good games to choose between. Personally I'd swap BGII and Arcanum (so that BGII would be number 1 and Arcanum number 2).

Anachronox was an interesting choice by Trash. Haven't played that one yet. Haven't even heard much about it.
I was glad to see someone mention this. It's fun if you don't mindi it being a Western JRPG. Tom Hall apparently made the staff play FF7 to get an idea of what he was looking for, but Anachronox's story was a lot more entertaining.

Surprised to see D2 trump others like Bloodlines or Deus Ex, though.

SerratedBiz

Arcane

Rageing Atheist said:
SerratedBiz said:

:lol:

DraQ

Arcane
random_encounter said:
Zed said:
Anachronox was an interesting choice by Trash. Haven't played that one yet. Haven't even heard much about it.
I was glad to see someone mention this. It's fun if you don't mindi it being a Western JRPG. Tom Hall apparently made the staff play FF7 to get an idea of what he was looking for, but Anachronox's story was a lot more entertaining.

I say Anachronox shouldn't qualify either as it's a JPG not an RPG, but unlike your typical JPG, it doesn't suck. Not only that, it's mind-bogglingly awesome in ways you have yet to imagine.

It's also atypical by being PC-exclusive and made in the West.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
DraQ said:
I say Anachronox shouldn't qualify either as it's a JPG not an RPG, but unlike your typical JPG, it doesn't suck. Not only that, it's mind-bogglingly awesome in ways you have yet to imagine.
It even has additional properties, most notably it won't run on my XP machine.

DraQ

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Done, still crashes on startup.
Odd, it works for me.

All patches applied sequentially?
TBH, I don't even remember how I got it to work - I just applied all the patches (including unofficial ones) sequentially, fiddled around with various stuff and it has worked like charm ever since. I did it several years ago, though, and I don't reinstall games if they don't demand registry entries and just run.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom