Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie The Accursed Crown of the Giant King - RTwP episodic indie RPG

geoffdunbar

Merry Prankster Games
Developer
https://prankster.com/acotgk

The classic-Style Role Playing Game "The Accursed Crown of the Giant King" is now available, for Windows, Mac, and iOS! Try the first chapter "Danger in Greenvale" for free, which includes a full adventure and conclusion. Continue your adventure by purchasing chapters 2-4. See the website for download links.

Generations ago, the curse of the Crown of the Giant King finally splintered the ancient Kingdom of Giants. Now, a hundred years later, the curse has spread its malevolent influence south, and engulfed the Duchy of Northfell in ruin and despair. A band of heroes is needed to break the curse, and return peace and prosperity to the land.

The Accursed Crown of the Giant King features:
  • Epic, classic-style fantasy adventure. Single player, controlling a main hero with a band of companions.
  • Real-time with pause gameplay, for complex tactical combat with full control.
  • Combines open-ended exploration with an overall quest. Dozens of locations and side-quests to explore and conquer.
  • Deep, complex role-playing system, inspired by popular paper-and-pencil role playing games.
  • Build the party of adventurers you want, with dozens of skills and powers, and hundreds of spells and items.
Merry Prankster Games LLC is a one-man band indie development studio, started in 1995 making the play-by-email game Atlantis. For more information about Merry Prankster Games LLC visit: https://prankster.com or email Geoff Dunbar at acotgk@prankster.com.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Just so folks aren't confused when playing the demo: the King in game is only like 175cm, but they are going for historical accuracy, and in those days that was considered pretty damn tall.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Like I ever look at height in an rpg. Weight only comes to play for encumberance if the game has such.

Anyway, 50meg download for ios free. Additions thus far cost $4.99 chapter 2

AKvplcF.jpg

Are there more chapters yet? Dunno.

Answer: Yes after you purchase a chapter. You must purchase them in order.

Q3AwncW.jpg

bwJ8GSa.jpg

vxIvYn4.jpg

So, basically, the full game costs $15 unless there are even more chapters. That is how it works on ios anyways.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It does not play like vogel. It is a type of real-time it seems. I turned getting party members and solo'd goblin tutorial. You can't search everything only shit it allows usually with a circle around it. Very limited and pretty meh tbh. Too damn tiny for the eyes imho.

I'll check offline play when i transfer to ipad. I think manual is onlinish but I can't tell via phone since it is always online.

Last edited:

geoffdunbar

Merry Prankster Games
Developer
So, basically, the full game costs $15 unless there are even more chapters. Thar is how it works on ios anyways.
Thanks for playing, and for your comments! $15 on all platforms.
It does not play like vogel. It is a type of real-time it seems. I turned getting party members and solo'd goblin tutorial. You can't search everything only shit it allows usually with a circle around it. Very limited and pretty meh tbh. Too damn tiny for the eyes imho.

I'll check offline play when i transfer to ipad. I think manual is onlinish but I can't tell via phone since it is always online.
I can't play on the phone either; I'm 51 and my eyes don't work like that anymore. My kids assure me that it's OK. It's free to try, so make your own opinion.

Manual is local HTML, so it views in the browser but works offline.

geoffdunbar

Merry Prankster Games
Developer
geoffdunbar Why not release your previous game Temple of the Abyssal Winds on Steam as well?
I'm flattered you're interested! It's hard to go back; ToTAW seems like an inferior product now. I'll think about it but don't get too excited. It would be some effort to reproduce a build of ToTAW and get it into Steam.

I might be able to get more excited for a remake with the updated engine, though...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
ihrgJ8f.jpg
I converted to ipad and it is much better. Far bigger. All chapters RESTORED flawlessly and it appears you can play offline. Bigger screen changes my opinion enough to try different playthroughs. I did a quickstart chapter 4 just to mess with the skill tree. Sort of a premapping mentally. I won't play it until I finish other chapters.

Ipad is a 12.9" version probably 10.5" actual screen i think.

I had a similar simple transfer with The Quest Classic and an purchased add-on as far as easy installation.

Next step is form a party. I hope NPCs are computer controlled. I'll read and just roll with em.

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Playing this now. It's excellent, I highly recommend it. I'm in Chapter 2 a little over 20 hours in and it's been a blast. Building characters with this deep and rewarding ruleset, hunting for rare treasures and even rarer magical items, exploring great locations and getting just enough of the story and lore bits in quests to keep things interesting. Didn't even mention the tactical combat, which is also excellent, HUGE array of spells and powers and 'stuff' to use. I'm highly impressed. Buy all the chapters and support this man, we need more CRPGs like Accursed Crown of the Giant King! :)

Also have an LP going on YouTube for it. My youtube is here .

gaussgunner

Arcane
geoffdunbar Why not release your previous game Temple of the Abyssal Winds on Steam as well?
I'm flattered you're interested! It's hard to go back; ToTAW seems like an inferior product now. I'll think about it but don't get too excited. It would be some effort to reproduce a build of ToTAW and get it into Steam.

I might be able to get more excited for a remake with the updated engine, though...
Holy shit, I remember ToTAW. You built a 3D engine from scratch like 10 years ago, right? That really sets you apart from the shovelware devs.

geoffdunbar

Merry Prankster Games
Developer
Holy shit, I remember ToTAW. You built a 3D engine from scratch like 10 years ago, right? That really sets you apart from the shovelware devs.
That's me! ACotGK is the same engine, much updated. I can't say whether I'm a shovelware dev or not, but if I am, I definitely haven't figured out the work/profit ratio.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I would personally love any more CRPGs in A) this engine, or B) using this ruleset. For reals! I am nearing the end of Chapter 2 and bruv, you have *outdone* yourself with this game geoffdunbar ! I'm starting to read the manual now even though I have a decent enough grasp on most of the game concepts, and I'm learning a lot of great details with the manual. Very, very interesting ruleset here. Plus the engine "just works" and the tactical combat, which starts to pick up in Chapter 2, is extremely fun and easy to use and responsive. So yeah, loving this!

I would have liked to have seen more challenge in Chapter 1, maybe though. And I feel like the elements don't really shine ALL the way through until Chapter 2, which is to be expected being it's a very long burn of a CRPG (my favorite kind), but yeah. Maybe a bit more tactical combat being necessary in Chapter 1 would be welcomed by most players since the combat system is super fun but it's not really necessary for most of Chapter 1 if i recall correctly. But yeah, dynamite stuff here guys, do not miss this one!!

geoffdunbar

Merry Prankster Games
Developer
I would personally love any more CRPGs in A) this engine, or B) using this ruleset. For reals! <snip>

I would have liked to have seen more challenge in Chapter 1, maybe though. <snip>
Thank you for the kind words! I still have some updates I want to make on ACotGK, but starting to think about a next project now. Or maybe, thinking about thinking about a next project. Maybe it's time for dragons?

Thanks for the feedback on challenge level. It's a tricky balance to hit, for sure.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Also, can someone list the differences between Giant King & Abyssal Winds? I would maybe start an Abyssal Winds LP too but if it's missing a ton of features that Giant King has, dunno how that would work...

Andhaira

Arcane
Why RTwP? Why not turn based? Or at least, go with both, even the AA devs like Obsidian and Pathfinder devs are doing it. The market you are catering to also has a substantial preference for TB.

Anyhow, I'll give the demo/first chapter a shot, even though I am not a fan of the art style (no offence) and the huge, immersion braking EXIT sign in the screenshots. Whatever happened to the good ol' "You must gather your party before venturing forth"

geoffdunbar

Merry Prankster Games
Developer
Why RTwP? Why not turn based? Or at least, go with both, even the AA devs like Obsidian and Pathfinder devs are doing it. The market you are catering to also has a substantial preference for TB.
Personal preference. I will omit the discussion why RTwP is better since it's well covered. Doing both is tricky with the resources I have available.
Anyhow, I'll give the demo/first chapter a shot, even though I am not a fan of the art style (no offence) and the huge, immersion braking EXIT sign in the screenshots. Whatever happened to the good ol' "You must gather your party before venturing forth"
Thanks for trying! Good feedback on the EXIT sign; I could definitely make that more subtle. "You must gather ..." message was in an earlier version of the engine; I love that message.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom