Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tutu is ancient history, use http://www.shsforums.net/forum/261-bgt-weidu/

Is there any way to install tutu without also cheating? I don't want class changes/ new classes, etc. I just want Tab object highlighting.

Don't select any of the new kits and just use the ones that were in the original. That's what I do.

Delterius

Arcane
Is there any way to install tutu without also cheating? I don't want class changes/ new classes, etc. I just want Tab object highlighting.

I vaguely remember my modlist scaling those new features back so they are less of a cheat, so it was a matter of avoiding, say, Find Familiar and such. However, if I'm not mistaken, I'm talking about BGT.

But its as Jaesun said, TuTu is ancient history. What issues BGT had in the past have been fixed by now.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tutu is ancient history, use http://www.shsforums.net/forum/261-bgt-weidu/

Don't select any of the new kits and just use the ones that were in the original. That's what I do.
they should make a FAQ or something. what's the difference? and can I install it for just the tabbing?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

First off: Use BGT, not tutu. How many times must this be repeated? It's not like every follower of the BG-scene here isn't saying this everytime someone mentions tutu. But hey, you're a swede, slowness comes with that. I forgive you.

Secondly: To answer your question. Hmm. I'm not sure, I don't think so, actually. I think waywardOne might be able to answer you, but off the top of my head classes and kits are hard-coded. You'd literally have to make a mod that converts all BG2 classes into BG1 one's to do it. But couldn't you just simply only play with BG1 classes? They're all available from the BG2 class list.

Remember to use 1PP and LadeJarl's tutugui (usable for BGT) or similar gui-mod if you like that BG1-look.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
But its as Jaesun said, TuTu is ancient history. What issues BGT had in the past have been fixed by now.
Does this mean the monster spawns are like the original now?

No. they are still shit in both TuTu and BGT.

No one has yet been able to figure out the encounter tables in the ARE files. You would think by now someone would have found that by now.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
But couldn't you just simply only play with BG1 classes? They're all available from the BG2 class list.
BG1 classes don't work the same in BG2. I don't know/care about romance mods, but this I know.

Looks like it's not possible to simply enhance BG1 without altering it. I'll just keep on truckin'.
Besides I've already taken the two super-annoying-to-find/click items (ankheg armor in nashkel, and in particular ring of wizardry in friendly arms). I can live without Tab for now.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Sounds like you missed the diamond in the tree vagina and the ring of protection one map after.

Other than that there's a few gems and wands and a ring of fire resistance as well. That's all I found and remember.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
But couldn't you just simply only play with BG1 classes? They're all available from the BG2 class list.
BG1 classes don't work the same in BG2.

How so? Sure, there's a few fixes to proficiencies and spell progression tables and some of that stuff, but nothing that you will notice. The only major difference that you won't be able to avoid seeing is spells, but even then you can just pick BG1 spells.

But if you want the "trew beegee won experience" there's no reason not to just play BG1.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

No, just that BGT has tutu spawns and more, so you can choose what you like.

Playing with my spawn options I never really noticed a remarkable difference to vanilla BG1 though.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

No. they are still shit in both TuTu and BGT.

No one has yet been able to figure out the encounter tables in the ARE files. You would think by now someone would have found that by now.
Yeah, last time I played with BG TuTu was like 4 years ago but it doesn't seem like things have changed much.

No, just that BGT has tutu spawns and more, so you can choose what you like.

Playing with my spawn options I never really noticed a remarkable difference to vanilla BG1 though.
I guess I can give it a try, which options do you use?

waywardOne

Arcane
Oh yes, there's that. I don't think so, no. Up there I was thinking mostly about quirky things scaled to BG2, like magic scrolls giving thousands of exp.
Look at BG2 Tweaks and aTweaks. One of them (both?) changes the lockpick/trapfind and learn spell XP to saner BG points. If you're ambitious, you can edit XPBONUS.2DA in the override with any text editor (don't use MSWord).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
BG1 classes don't work the same in BG2.

How so? Sure, there's a few fixes to proficiencies and spell progression tables and some of that stuff, but nothing that you will notice. The only major difference that you won't be able to avoid seeing is spells, but even then you can just pick BG1 spells.

But if you want the "trew beegee won experience" there's no reason not to just play BG1.
Bards casting off charisma instead of intelligence, for one... And I've decided to re-roll a bard. I forgot how many fucking thieves there are in BG1 - wasn't particularly fun having the PC be one as well. With a PC bard I can focus an NPC thief on traps and locks.

And yeah. Mods are simply not for me. Too purist. Too aryan. I go 640x vanilla.

I'll play a crossbow/ranged-focused bard early on. 18 charisma for BG1 shop prices and to ready it for BG2 later on.
I got a crazy good roll in char gen. Result:
uau.jpg
15 constitution because 16+ is only really for warriors, and I'll be able to get 16 once I read this Manual of Bodily Health that I sneakily snuck out of the Lighthouse cave by using invis potion and potion of speed.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Bards casting off charisma instead of intelligence, for one...
That's wrong, actually. Bard spells are based on int just like mages.

15 constitution because 16+ is only really for warriors, and I'll be able to get 16 once I read this Manual of Bodily Health that I sneakily snuck out of the Lighthouse cave by using invis potion and potion of speed.
It's 17+ that is only for Warriors.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Bard minimum Cha 15 is enough, you can then cast Friends and get Cha 20 (>20 doesn't mod prices).

I think Bard song stacks (should it?), try it with Garrick and Eldoth. Five Skalds and one Kensai/Thief in BG2 would be huge backstabs.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Bards casting off charisma instead of intelligence, for one...
That's wrong, actually. Bard spells are based on int just like mages.

It's 17+ that is only for Warriors.
Oh yeah.. Got it confused with 3rd Ed. Still, I prefer Wis as a dump stat. IDC too much about Lore, and with 18 int and just being bard, most quantitative stuff will be identifiable anyway.
When I write 16+ I mean >16, not >=16. i.e. I have 16 now and more wouldn't add hp on level.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
CHA is a terrible dump stat in BG 1/2 because you miss out on some quest rewards for not having 16-20 CHA. It's not a big deal, but it's worth to point out.

I don't think you miss out on anything if you dump Wisdom- though you might lose some save vs spells, I don't remember how AD&D saves work.

:decline:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Oh yeah.. Got it confused with 3rd Ed. Still, I prefer Wis as a dump stat. IDC too much about Lore, and with 18 int and just being bard, most quantitative stuff will be identifiable anyway.

I wouldn't dump Wis below 10, it will penalize your Lore. Likewise, a Wis of 18 gives +10 Lore (Int also gives a bonus).

Bioware didn't implement Int and Cha for spellcasting purposes. You can have low Int and Cha (say 9) and still have the same castings per level and reach the highest circle of spells as 18.

I don't think you miss out on anything if you dump Wisdom- though you might lose some save vs spells, I don't remember how AD&D saves work.

I don't think Wis-based saves were implemented either, only Con-based for demi-humans. Dwarves and halflings get +1 to death, wand and spell per 3.5 Con and gnomes get the bonus for wand and spell only.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
...but keep in mind you'll miss out on some quest rewards if you have that low CHA/INT.

By the way, some fun trivia I like to bust out whenever we talk about BG:

Did you know some enemies have extra dialogue if you talk to them while they are charmed?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'd be interested in knowing if Algernon says anything after you pickpocket his cloak and charm him with it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

I wouldn't dump Wis below 10, it will penalize your Lore. Likewise, a Wis of 18 gives +10 Lore (Int also gives a bonus).

Bioware didn't implement Int and Cha for spellcasting purposes. You can have low Int and Cha (say 9) and still have the same castings per level and reach the highest circle of spells as 18.

I don't think Wis-based saves were implemented either, only Con-based for demi-humans. Dwarves and halflings get +1 to death, wand and spell per 3.5 Con and gnomes get the bonus for wand and spell only.
With a bard you get 10 lore per level. 8 Wis for a level's worth of lore? Besides, you get 3 Wis from tomes throughout BG1.
I do ahve 10 Wis btw. I uploaded a char print, maybe you missed it. My stats, after using 1 Manual so far:
14 str
18 dex
16 con
18 int
10 wis
18 cha

when I'm done and port it to BG2, it will hopefully be

15 str
19 dex
16 con
19 int
13 wis
19 cha

My weapon focus are Missile (for crossbows - crowssbows being a missile weapon in BG1) and Spear (just wanted a long range melee as backup, will very rarely use anyway).

It sucks ring of wizardry doesn't work on bards... :D

Malpercio

Arcane
I'm actually replaying it right now, almost done with SoA.

Dunno if I'll replay ToB, probably, though i kinda dislike it.

jy6d2rR.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Two questions about the BG while I remeber it:

1. If using BGT and having both Monty and Xzar + Khalid and Jaheira, will they eventually start fighting like in vanilla BG? I recall the TuTu guys couldn't get this to work, so I guess not.

2. The adventurer party that cheats by reloading: where are they? I finished SoA, but not ToB, and I can't remember them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom