Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Banner Saga

Higher Game

Arcane
Oh, and the combat isn't actually too much of a grind at all if you keep Gunnulf alive. Like a true Nord, probably Swedish, all you have to do is
be nice and ask him politely to obey you
and he doesn't get himself killed. :lol:

Athelas

Arcane
The most true role playing you'll do is trying to keep the damned caravan as healthy as possible, even if it doesn't mean anything except honor/score. :lol:
That's not true, letting the caravan starve to death is - paradoxically - the fastest way to become stronger, since the renown can be used on your characters instead of buying supplies.

Higher Game

Arcane
That's not true, letting the caravan starve to death is - paradoxically - the fastest way to become stronger, since the renown can be used on your characters instead of buying supplies.

latest

oscar

Arcane
I didn't mind it not having an in-game effect. Decisions don't always have to lead to a big morality bar or bonus items and such.

If the setting, plot and characters are good enough it can be enough to just know that you did it because you damn well wanted to. In fact such can be actively superior, often in real life good deeds go unrewarded (or even punished). In such a way being gamey or uncaring can simply be a natural easy mode while doing the harder but right thing is its own satisfaction.

Higher Game

Arcane
If the setting, plot and characters are good enough it can be enough to just know that you did it because you damn well wanted to. In fact such can be actively superior, often in real life good deeds go unrewarded (or even punished). In such a way being gamey or uncaring can simply be a natural easy mode while doing the harder but right thing is its own satisfaction.

I've noticed most games, this one included, like to penalize the player for not being feminist enough. The patriarchal thinking realist is then given weaker gear or fewer characters or harder fights, wonder what that tells us? ;)

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I actually enjoyed this game a lot because of the constant switching, it made me adapt and learn to use all chars, humans can be seen as weak at the beginning compared with the giants at first but getting to learn to use their advantages and skills was vital. And yeah the writing was pretty good, and it made me want to replay the game to try different decsions regarding chars I wanted to know better to see if I can keep them alive. The first upgrade I would recommend for everyone topping off the shield breaking ability, it really makes the game much easier for those party switches to have a few relaible shield breakers to make sure even your level 1 heroes can be effective
I am planning on replaying this close to the release of part 2

Archibald

Arcane
I've noticed most games, this one included, like to penalize the player for not being feminist enough. The patriarchal thinking realist is then given weaker gear or fewer characters or harder fights, wonder what that tells us? ;)

Could you provide some examples? Didn't really consider such thing while playing the game, nor I was looking for something like that so its possible that I missed some very obvious things.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
IIRC, the most notable "gender" episode in this game is the event where you choose whether to train women as archers

Archibald

Arcane
But isn't it logical to yes to that? More people capable of fighting, regardless of how shit they are at it, is preferable in such circumstances.

Higher Game

Arcane
IIRC, the most notable "gender" episode in this game is the event where you choose whether to train women as archers

Yep. Apparently you can get a female archer with he-man arms that shoots at +4 range with 100% chance to hit. :lol: You can feel in the air the contempt for smug manginas who don't realize they're picking a hidden easy mode.

But isn't it logical to yes to that? More people capable of fighting, regardless of how shit they are at it, is preferable in such circumstances.

Zerg tactics aren't as effective as anyone thinks in the real world. Oh, and...

latest

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The additional female archer you get that way is actually kind of weak. I never used her.

Athelas

Arcane
The one who had a passive ability to shoot from farther distances probably was the best, followed by the one with the AoE fire trap. Both were non-mandatory characters and could easily leave/die, IIRC.

Higher Game

Arcane
The additional female archer you get that way is actually kind of weak. I never used her.

I did well with archers because front line meat shields were in the business of taking strength damage and delivering armor damage (which is not determined by strength, and this is what matters), at least after a few rounds. Archers usually land clean strength hits for the whole fight.

Alette was much better than the other archer.

You need a really nice initiative turn order to make use of Alette. Hitting multiple enemies is nice when they can't hit back, but this setup just doesn't happen too often.

roshan

Arcane
I did well with archers because front line meat shields were in the business of taking strength damage and delivering armor damage (which is not determined by strength, and this is what matters), at least after a few rounds. Archers usually land clean strength hits for the whole fight.

I actually did the exact opposite. Used archers with + armor damage equipment to break armor (most of them are low health units anyway, so I figured this was the best way to use them), and then melee guys to finish them off. I remember finding an item that gave +3 break armor and for the rest of the game used that on Rook. Could take down even the toughest dredge really quickly this way, with an armor attack by Rook, then using one of the high health low armor varls to slice through them like a butterknife.

Oh wait according to some dumbfucks with extreme OCD the best way to play the game is to attack the easy enemies, leave them with 1 HP to deprive the big enemies of turns, and only then attack the big bosses. :lol: Rather than the common sense approach of just killing off the big bosses first.

Archibald

Arcane
You get that female archer towards the end of the game. By that point everyone who wants an archer will have one of the earlier ones trained up and from my experience most people end up completely ignoring her.

Zerg tactics aren't as effective as anyone thinks in the real world. Oh, and...

It's not like your party in this game is composed of some experienced and disciplined fighting force. Its bunch of people from different villages and different societies.

Higher Game

Arcane
I actually did the exact opposite. Used archers with + armor damage equipment to break armor (most of them are low health units anyway, so I figured this was the best way to use them), and then melee guys to finish them off. I remember finding an item that gave +3 break armor and for the rest of the game used that on Rook. Could take down even the toughest dredge really quickly this way, with an armor attack by Rook, then using one of the high health low armor varls to slice through them like a butterknife.

Oh wait according to some dumbfucks with extreme OCD the best way to play the game is to attack the easy enemies, leave them with 1 HP to deprive the big enemies of turns, and only then attack the big bosses. :lol: Rather than the common sense approach of just killing off the big bosses first.

Your approach is best for the first few rounds before the melee guys start getting hurt. I would always go after extra dredge so I think that's why I started to favor archers.

It's not like your party in this game is composed of some experienced and disciplined fighting force. Its bunch of people from different villages and different societies.

Which makes the feminism even more SJW bait. An untrained barbarian savage can (and historically have) tear a civilized man to pieces solely from his own muscle and will. A woman is always still just a woman.

Archibald

Arcane
So every fantasy rpg/strategy that features females as competent warriors is SJW bait.

:russia:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Surely Higher Game's real problem is that it isn't SJW bait. The idea that women can be competent warriors is so normalized that their existence is really no statement at all, they are simply there.

Archibald

Arcane
Wait, so developers wanted to make a feminist stand with that female archer, but nobody cares since women being competent warriors is an established trope in such games? Whatever.

Higher Game

Arcane
It's normalized into being normative yet not normal. :obviously: I wanted a god damned viking sausage fest and that's what I'll get even if it means missing a gibsmedat for the beta males. Although...

It really was sad when Alette finally hardens up and wants to go for a glorious kill and it ends badly for her. I got soft and let her kill Bellower and then she died for it. So the red pill wins in the end.

oscar

Arcane
It wasn't too jarring here and I was even glad they let you have the option even if it was with a slightly tutt tutt tone, I still felt satisfied putting them back in their place.

Cadmus

Arcane
Ah I also noticed this and honestly it kind of annoyed me. I wanted to stay firm but polite but also not lose too many bonuses that might come from it. I'll see what comes next, I suppose I'm near the end.
I'm a little bit disappointed I couldn't name any of my guys and the character system is incredibly shallow. I was expecting there to be some skill trees. It's an ok game that looks smooth and gorgeous. I also don't understand what is the point of the camping and caravan management mechanic because I seem to be unable to really do anything with it.

pippin

The stats were rather dissapointing because I didn't feel they really had clear effects on the battlefield. Sure, a level 4 character is way stronger than a level 1 character, but that's obvious.

I also don't understand what is the point of the camping and caravan management mechanic because I seem to be unable to really do anything with it.

I understood it as an Oregon Trail-kinda thing. Not really meant to have serious repercussions (although c&c is there), but intended as having something to do in between fights.

Have they said how are they going to handle the save import?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The stats were rather dissapointing because I didn't feel they really had clear effects on the battlefield.

What. It's hard to think of a game where the stats' function was clearer.

Have they said how are they going to handle the save import?

What do you mean?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom