Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The best RPG villain

oscar

Arcane
catfood said:
All the gnomes in Arcanum. Those who did the siamese twins skull quest know what I'm talking about. That's some fucked up shit right there

Fucking fantasy Jews!

ValeVelKal

Arcane
As a newfag, and while it is only a RPG by the "C&C" angle, I believe the Kzer-Za and to a lesser extent the Kohr-Ah are by far the best villain.

Kzer-ZaComm.png

The voicing is outstanding (even though technically it is not THEIR voice), during allthe games you gather bits of information on their history, their objectives, but there is a key something missing, that you only know when you actually meet them with the "magic" sentence [before they give you a bogus motivation : protecting from "yourselves". see here at 3:20]. Once you have all the informations, the motivation makes perfect sense in a weird, distorted way. And they ACTUALLY protect you and the race ofalienkind.

Plus, they have outstanding sentences, like :

"A final command, human. But it is more of a plea.
Your insubordination has guaranteed your death.
There can be no alternative.
But your species has not yet crossed the threeshold of disobediance that would require us to decimate Earth.
You have survived combat with us before. You may survive the ensuing battle.
If this happens - leave. Return to your home. Await our arrival there.
If you interfere with us here, we may lose the Doctrinal Conflict with the Kohr-Ah.
If we are defeated - you are defeated as well."
[Second video at 4:45]

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I agree on Melissan being a retarded villain, especially since you know almost immediately that she's the main cause of the city being besieged in the first place, yet you can do absolutely nothing about it.

Even though whether she counts or not is up for debate, I think Ravel would be the number one for me. The build-up until you meet her is simply superb, and on my first playthrough I was genuinely nervous when entering her maze. The conversation with her is also one of my favorites in any game.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Zomg said:
Fuck the master

He could just have a bunch of uncontaminated humans have children, then turn them into mutants at like 40, it's not like they don't have an indeterminate lifespan afterwards

Shit son did I just fix your world domination plans that you killed yourself for fucking up you big pool of retard
It would be cool if a character with high int could propose that alternative to the Master :D .

Zomg said:
Why didn't I think of this until like 2010
:lol:

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I know it's not a straight up RPG but since DX gets a pass I think HR should too:
Megan Reed

Vibalist

Arcane
Zomg said:
Fuck the master

He could just have a bunch of uncontaminated humans have children, then turn them into mutants at like 40, it's not like they don't have an indeterminate lifespan afterwards

Shit son did I just fix your world domination plans that you killed yourself for fucking up you big pool of retard

If he kept the human race alive he'd kind of fuck up his own plan of one unity. It'd take more than a handful of humans to keep breeding mutants in large enough numbers, and those humans would probably eventually rebel against their overlords, after which we would be back to a world of conflict. And conflict is what The Master wants to eradicate in the first place.

And even if the human population was kept small enough so that they wouldn't be able to rebel... Well, I don't think someone like The Master would like the idea of keeping humans around simply for breeding purposes. If you look past his insanity and monstrous facade, he's really just doing what he's doing because he wants to create a utopia. I don't think slavery and captivity is part of that utopia, even if it's just for a very small part of the population.

And lastly, you wouldn't succeed if you tried to convince someone like Hitler that keeping a few jews around to do manual labor would benefit society. The Master is a fanatic and any vision of a society that doesn't involve the mutants being self-sufficient overlords of everything probably isn't a vision he cares for. Nah, once he realizes his supermutant project isn't gonna pan out and needs adjustments, he has nothing to live for. It makes perfect sense that he commits suicide.

Eyeball

Arcane
Bob Page - how can you not love a one-man Zionist conspiracy? Walton Simons is also cool, mainly because of his dull and emotionless voice acting that fit the character perfectly.

Never understood why so many people love The Master. The ease with which you could convince him to commit suicide after demonstrating that his plan was fundamentally flawed was an enormous anticlimax after the long battle it was just getting to him. Also, he looks like a turd/man hybrid and sounds irritating rather than sinister. The LT should have been promoted to main villain, because motherFUCKING Tony Jay.

Kreia is just a fucking awful character, as I've pointed out in a previous ragefilled thread. The fact that she was obviously not on your side and you STILL had no option to get her off your spaceship pretty much ruined the game.

On the JRPG side, I honestly also quite liked Magus from Chrono Trigger - nice buildup to the final showdown with him, then his true intentions to save the world were revealed, bit of background story on his childhood and then you get to recruit him. Or kill him, if you like. What KOTOR2 really lacked was the option of strangling Kreia in her sleep. JRPGs 1, Western RPGs 0.

The Dark Savant is also a good choice - insanely powerful and sneaky, but still kinda dumb to have his magical toy stolen by rat-faced furries with goofy Italian movie gangster accents. Also sports some of the most unintentionally hilarious over-the-top megalomaniacal evil overlord voice acting ever, but Wiz8 is reknowned for entertaining and silly VA.

Eyeball

Arcane
Oh, also: Manga Hitler wielding the Spear of Destiny and the arcane power of an Elder God. No can fucking defeat!
HitlerFight.jpg

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
TTO and Jacques de Aldersberg

Aldebaran said:
EDIT 3: Evidently in the books, Jack believes he has met Caine, but it is revealed that this was just a Malkavian who believes he is Caine. At least that is not as disappointing as the "official" account of the events of planescape torment.

Do elaborate on the "official" Planescape stuff.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Vibalist said:
Zomg said:
Fuck the master

If he kept the human race alive he'd kind of fuck up his own plan of one unity. It'd take more than a handful of humans to keep breeding mutants in large enough numbers, and those humans would probably eventually rebel against their overlords, after which we would be back to a world of conflict. And conflict is what The Master wants to eradicate in the first place.

And even if the human population was kept small enough so that they wouldn't be able to rebel... Well, I don't think someone like The Master would like the idea of keeping humans around simply for breeding purposes. If you look past his insanity and monstrous facade, he's really just doing what he's doing because he wants to create a utopia. I don't think slavery and captivity is part of that utopia, even if it's just for a very small part of the population.

And lastly, you wouldn't succeed if you tried to convince someone like Hitler that keeping a few jews around to do manual labor would benefit society. The Master is a fanatic and any vision of a society that doesn't involve the mutants being self-sufficient overlords of everything probably isn't a vision he cares for. Nah, once he realizes his supermutant project isn't gonna pan out and needs adjustments, he has nothing to live for. It makes perfect sense that he commits suicide.
You are forgetting about his horde of degenerate fanatical followers.

Deleted member 7219

Caesar (Fallout: New Vegas). Guy had some interesting ideas and contrary to most villains these days, seemed perfectly sane, albeit ruthless.

Death's Hand (Jade Empire). Binding him to my will was one of the most satisfying experiences I've had in a video game. And that armour was cool.

Letho (The Witcher 2).
Despite being just a pawn of the Nilfgaard, he seemed like a true bro. I mean, you can actually end up having a drink with him and then going your separate ways. I always love it when you can choose a peaceful option with a villain.

Kreia (KOTOR 2). Although I don't see her as a villain. I actually think she was the true good guy of the story. The Jedi were pricks and needed to be wiped out. Her intention was never to harm you or go against you, but help you (and force you, if necessary) to achieve your full potential; to build a new Jedi Order, one capable of defending the galaxy against the threat to come. She saw the stagnation and the pettiness of the Jedi and knew that you, the one who walked away from the Force, as the only person who could fix it.

Dagoth Ur (Morrowind). He doesn't appear in game at all until right at the end, which is rather ballsy and old school, and his character design is unique. I found myself actually wanting to join forces with him, destroy Tribunal, and set up a new Morrowind independent of the Empire, but Bethesda being Bethesda, the storyline was set.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Storyfag said:

Aldebaran said:
EDIT 3: Evidently in the books, Jack believes he has met Caine, but it is revealed that this was just a Malkavian who believes he is Caine. At least that is not as disappointing as the "official" account of the events of planescape torment.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/738124.Torment

I assume it was at one point considered canon, because FR and a few other PnP follow this pattern with books. I hope not.

A brief rundown of what I have heard:
The Nameless One chooses to go with the name of Thane.
Grace is the tiefling.
Annah is the succubus.
Improves the bronze sphere by turning it into a green cylinder.
Fhjull Fork tongue is the big bad.
The dialogue with Ravel, Trias, and TTO has been improved by removing it.
Basically everything is different because the two authors probably didn't even play the game--or the early script of the game was quite different.
Trias dies, Fhjull thanks Thane, and drags him down to the blood war so he can serve out his contract.

An excerpt I found:
“Interesting.” Then his eyes darted back to Thane. I’ve watched you for eight hundred and thirty years, waiting for you to make yourself whole. At times, I must admit, I despaired or ever claiming what was lawfully mine. But seeing you here, now – my patience is rewarded a thousand fold. I am redeemed. Perhaps I will even return to Baator.”

Thane felt the need to take control and brandished his sword at the fiend. He realized immediately that it would do no good, but the slim tube looked just like the one he’d recovered for Pharod. It was his, and he wanted it back. How did it fall into Fhjull’s possession? The king of the collectors had said he took jobs for Blood War generals, said he was in tight with the fiends. Pharod had even seemed to expect Thane somehow, as if … [Fhjull can read his mind]
“As if he’d been told that along would come a dead man, the only person who could retrieve something that has been stolen from me and placed beyond my reach.” The amnizu twirled the steel cylinder in his sleek fingers, then cracked it in half. Out slid a tightly rolled piece of worn parchment, which the fiend spread open.
“Let’s read another story,” he began. “A young man signed a deal with me, long ago-this contract you see before you now. We came to his world to gain new recruits for our Blood War armies. The folk of his pitiable village were of poor stock, but all we really wanted were warm bodies, convenient targets to distract the tanar’ri. He was quite amusing, organizing the resistance. And, of course, I knew from the moment I saw the fire in his eyes that I had to break him. When the sacrificial fool offered to buy the town’s safety with his own servitude, well.. it was a plot twist more perfect than any I could have written. The righteous man’s fall was a demoralizing blow to the village. The sight of their leader brought low shattered the spirit of his people far more painfully than a mere tour of duty on the Lower Planes ever could.” The fiend uncrooked three of his long fingers. “Three guesses who that man was. The first two don’t count.”
Thane remembered everything now. His village had been unable to repel the invading baatezu. He’d agreed to fight in the Blood War if the fiends spared the others. The deal was deliverable at his death, and he’d scoured his world for a means of forestalling that end. A wizard had sent him to the planes in search of a way to trick the baatezu, to wriggle out of the damnable contract. He’d thought he’d finally succeeded when Ravel Puzzlewell took away his mortality. He hadn’t counted on the trauma of death and rebirth wiping clean his past, on his misguided need to discover what he was missing, to find the truth of existence. He’d freed himself from the fiend’s clothes and walked right back into them again.

Vibalist

Arcane
curry said:
Vibalist said:
And lastly, you wouldn't succeed if you tried to convince someone like Hitler that keeping a few jews around to do manual labor would benefit society.

You mean, Jews such as Erhard Milch?

So Hitler was a bad example, but I'm sure you get the point regardless. I don't think The Master had any room for humans in his perfect society.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
You are forgetting about his horde of degenerate fanatical followers.

But he was going to turn them into mutants eventually.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Aldebaran said:
Storyfag said:

Aldebaran said:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/738124.Torment

I assume it was at one point considered canon, because FR and a few other PnP follow this pattern with books. I hope not.

A brief rundown of what I have heard:
The Nameless One chooses to go with the name of Thane.
Grace is the tiefling.
Annah is the succubus.
Improves the bronze sphere by turning it into a green cylinder.
Fhjull Fork tongue is the big bad.
The dialogue with Ravel, Trias, and TTO has been improved by removing it.
Basically everything is different because the two authors probably didn't even play the game--or the early script of the game was quite different.
Trias dies, Fhjull thanks Thane, and drags him down to the blood war so he can serve out his contract.

An excerpt I found:
“Interesting.” Then his eyes darted back to Thane. I’ve watched you for eight hundred and thirty years, waiting for you to make yourself whole. At times, I must admit, I despaired or ever claiming what was lawfully mine. But seeing you here, now – my patience is rewarded a thousand fold. I am redeemed. Perhaps I will even return to Baator.”

Thane felt the need to take control and brandished his sword at the fiend. He realized immediately that it would do no good, but the slim tube looked just like the one he’d recovered for Pharod. It was his, and he wanted it back. How did it fall into Fhjull’s possession? The king of the collectors had said he took jobs for Blood War generals, said he was in tight with the fiends. Pharod had even seemed to expect Thane somehow, as if … [Fhjull can read his mind]
“As if he’d been told that along would come a dead man, the only person who could retrieve something that has been stolen from me and placed beyond my reach.” The amnizu twirled the steel cylinder in his sleek fingers, then cracked it in half. Out slid a tightly rolled piece of worn parchment, which the fiend spread open.
“Let’s read another story,” he began. “A young man signed a deal with me, long ago-this contract you see before you now. We came to his world to gain new recruits for our Blood War armies. The folk of his pitiable village were of poor stock, but all we really wanted were warm bodies, convenient targets to distract the tanar’ri. He was quite amusing, organizing the resistance. And, of course, I knew from the moment I saw the fire in his eyes that I had to break him. When the sacrificial fool offered to buy the town’s safety with his own servitude, well.. it was a plot twist more perfect than any I could have written. The righteous man’s fall was a demoralizing blow to the village. The sight of their leader brought low shattered the spirit of his people far more painfully than a mere tour of duty on the Lower Planes ever could.” The fiend uncrooked three of his long fingers. “Three guesses who that man was. The first two don’t count.”
Thane remembered everything now. His village had been unable to repel the invading baatezu. He’d agreed to fight in the Blood War if the fiends spared the others. The deal was deliverable at his death, and he’d scoured his world for a means of forestalling that end. A wizard had sent him to the planes in search of a way to trick the baatezu, to wriggle out of the damnable contract. He’d thought he’d finally succeeded when Ravel Puzzlewell took away his mortality. He hadn’t counted on the trauma of death and rebirth wiping clean his past, on his misguided need to discover what he was missing, to find the truth of existence. He’d freed himself from the fiend’s clothes and walked right back into them again.

I am really glad this didn't make it in the final game. To be honest, it even sounds like some fanfic.

MisterStone

Arcane
Lord Blackthorne was a bitch, yo. THe real villains from UV were the Shadowlords. I remember when I first walked into a town that was occupied by a shadowlord, and every PC in the town was acting all fucked up.... this is something that no other RPG has ever really done as far as I remember. That's right, it's been more than 25 years and they still haven't topped that shit. Recognize, bitchiz.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Roguey said:
curry said:
What's so good in Irenicus? The voice actor did a good job but otherwise the character is fucking boring and the story is bland. Stop sucking that BioWare cock already.
What's worse is that Gaider wrote most of Irenicus so they're sucking Gaider cock. He probably gets a thrill out of people who unknowingly praise him while tearing him down elsewhere.

Looks like Gaider wrote most of Jan Jansen as well. So he can't be all that bad. But of course also with Jan was he helped by a good voice actor.

Matt7895 said:
Dagoth Ur (Morrowind). He doesn't appear in game at all until right at the end, which is rather ballsy and old school, and his character design is unique. I found myself actually wanting to join forces with him, destroy Tribunal, and set up a new Morrowind independent of the Empire, but Bethesda being Bethesda, the storyline was set.

There was a mod that let you join the Sixth House. Quite good, I recall

But the best villain must be that dreadful old lecher Crassius Curio.
45387-167037-ohcrassiusjpg-620x.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Surf Solar said:
Aldebaran said:
*stuff from the PS:T novel*

I am really glad this didn't make it in the final game. To be honest, it even sounds like some fanfic.

That's the problem with novelizations of games: It's almost guaranteed that they're shit.

I own the PS:T novel, and it's as fucked up as it sounds. It's still among the better novelizations I've read, it just doesn't mesh with what you see in the game.

kris

Arcane
What Az the cat said. He kind of mirrored what I wanted to say. I would say that most villians that are not well integrated into a story never really is much more than a concept.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I always liked SHODAN, because she was a villain you couldn't touch or defeat. Nor was she straight evil, she was an amalgamation of different moral obligations, and as usual, her purpose became ambiguous to where a philosophically minded gamer could almost wonder if her master plan was "for the greater good."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom