Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The big 4X thread (also unofficial patches + mods, also questions about these)

tindrli

Arcane
DakaSha
i really dont remember givin AI any aditional bonuses, and i was struggling in Hard mode primary coz missiles arent weapons of choice any more coz AI is evading them very good and apart from that , shit they are even building drones now not to mention shitload of mines and shit. Orbital space construction yards seems to be obligatory as well, organic technology is not that superior any more >Diplomacy is not improved much but hell there is no space 4x that do diplomacy well anyway and i usualy play as xenophobic so i dont matter much. Just try the game on Hard and you should see a BIG improvment

DakaSha

Arcane
I was playing and having fun but the ai still does some extremely soul destroying shit like sending one undefended colony ship after another through warpgates that you have defended lol.

tindrli

Arcane
I was playing and having fun but the ai still does some extremely soul destroying shit like sending one undefended colony ship after another through warpgates that you have defended lol.

yep. it does that.. just put shitload of mines there and forget about it

Ashery

Prophet
tindrli

A word of note on the SEIV mods:

Using the TDM you linked along with the classic version of the quadrant mod (I didn't want to download the image pack), I just finished debugging a few errors.

First, here:

\se4\TDM-ReModPack 1.1\Pictures\Races\Aquilaeian

In the Aquilaeian_AI_Construction_Facilities.txt file, in the queue type "Intelligence Compound" (A bit over half way down), the value immediately below the intelligence compound bit, "Num Queue Entries," should be 20, not 21.

Second, here:

\se4\TDM-ReModPack 1.1\Pictures\Races\Amonkrie

In the Amonkrie_AI_Politics.txt file, there are two errors. One is a missing value that should be immediately visible, "Propose Treaty First 50 Turns Modifier" is blank. I checked a handful of values and it appears that 10 is the most common, so I set it to that. The other error is a typo that should also be immediately in view, if not immediately apparent. I only noticed it when I copy/pasted the info into a word processor that had a spell checker. Under "Highest Allowed Treaty," there's a typo in "Trade and Reseach Alliance."

And now with those actually fixed, time to get back to my second game. Hopefully this one proves more challenging, as in my first game I was an eco whoring pacifist that sat comfortably in third place for the first half of the game until I went into an economic boom and my score was climbing at several times the rate of everyone else. By the time my score was high enough for everyone to wardec me based on my size alone, my growth rate was significantly higher than everyone else combined. All that was left was to fight a handful of large fights, lose a couple of far flung colonies that my fleets weren't near, and slowly grind out the AIs' planets. I'm considering giving up that game for good as I'm near the 500 planet mark and my turns are half an hour of grinding out fights.

whatevername

Arcane
SPAAAAAACE:

Stars! - It has win 3.1 grade graphics and some races are unplayable because they require a lot of micromanagement. Other than that it's pretty cool.

odrzut

Arcane
I'm playing Imperium Galactica thanks to this thread, and it's fun (and actually hard). They had choices & consequences like in TW - the psychological test results in firing you few days later if you got it wrong. I had to reload and redo that part of game 3 times to get it right. Also pathfinding in ground combat is worse than that of dragoons in sc1. Microing tanks is a must.

Destroid

Arcane
Would you enjoy 4x games if they had the dwarf fortress save on quit, live with the consequences style of save? I think it could be good, although perhaps very frustrating at times.

Destroid

Arcane
Of course. No matter what the developer sets as default, the player can either use discipline or pretty simple workarounds. I believe the default setting will be what most people play with.

Funny, I didn't even notice it in Dominions 3, perhaps because I basically play all strategy games like this now.

Jive One

Educated
Has anyone played Civ2 Test of Time? Apparently it was a remake of the original Civ2 but included some graphics changes and an Alpha Centauri campaign. How did this stack up to the original Civ2 and does it work alright on modern systems? I've been wanting to play Civ2 badly for nostalgia purposes but unless I have the original cd(long gone) the music doesn't work.

uaciaut

Augur
Figured i'd ask here too - what's the general consensus on Imperium Galactica 2? I remember playing it a long time ago and thinking it kicked ass. A lot of people seem to be praising Master of Orion 1/2 (not 3 for some reason) and Galactic Civ a lot, are they better/worse than IG2?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Figured i'd ask here too - what's the general consensus on Imperium Galactica 2? I remember playing it a long time ago and thinking it kicked ass. A lot of people seem to be praising Master of Orion 1/2 (not 3 for some reason) and Galactic Civ a lot, are they better/worse than IG2?
They are better than IG2, but IG2 is a pretty nice game too.

uaciaut

Augur
Also i've heard a while back stuff about Sins of a Solar Empire, anyone had any experience with that?

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Also i've heard a while back stuff about Sins of a Solar Empire, anyone had any experience with that?
It's not really a traditional 4x. It's more of a long RTS.

With the expansions, right mods, and right settings(long jumps, distant stars, etc.) you can play SoSE kind of like a Paradox strategy game in space. Without the extra depth of course, but still fun. Multiplayer was also pretty good, though I assume the community is largely dead by now.

Stefan Vujovic

Educated
Since I am 4x fanatic here are some decent suggestions that i think haven't been mentioned :

Deadlock 1 & 2 :

http://af.gog.com/game/deadlock_planetary_conquest?as=1649904300

http://af.gog.com/game/deadlock_2_shrine_wars?as=1649904300

The difference between the two is minimal, Deadlock 2 would be more of an expansion pack with SP campaign, improved ai/interface, sea battles, more tech to research, etc. But there is one technical , newer interface has fixed (low) resolution, and the original game uses desktop controls so it might look cleaner on modern systems. The game is made by long gone Cyberlore studios, the same guys that made fantastic Majesty, so its oozing with charm. Imagine if all races would battle over a single province based planet on a smaller scale then what would a regular 4x game would be with all the 4x mechanics, and you get Deadlock.

For 5.99$ only, game is a steal.

936full-deadlock-ii%3A-shrine-wars-screenshot.jpg

S-interface2.JPG

209577-deadlock-ii-shrine-wars-windows-screenshot-the-black-markets.png

Deadlock-II-Shrine-Wars_6.jpg

Deadlock-II-Shrine-Wars_4.jpg

The Tone rebelion :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tone_Rebellion

Really unique "quasi 4x" game, where the player choose one of four different type of Tone tribes to lead in interesting plot that runs throughout the game and unfolds with progress. Different tribes have different buildings to build, abilities, and spells to cast. The tone of the game is almost biblical in a sense that Tones are innocent creatures who are fighting over consuming evil force called Leviathan. Really unique plot and setting, and music is beyond epic. Highly recommended to at least try it for a few hours. Game of old as unique as this one are rarely seen.

51399.jpg

tone_rebellion_screenshot_3.jpg

133.jpg

Lords of Magic :

http://af.gog.com/game/lords_of_magic_special_eddition?as=1649904300

Interesting cross between homm and lords of the realm with diplomacy and mission system. Definitely worth a try, and for 5.99$ you get both original game and special edition expansion.

graveyard_battle.PNG

106357-lords-of-magic-windows-screenshot-the-lord-of-your-people.jpg

lords-of-magic-special-edition-pc-windows-screenshots__370_1.png.jpg

I might edit post and add more later, if i remember a few other unique ones...

Last edited by a moderator:

tindrli

Arcane
Since I am 4x fanatic here are some decent suggestions that i think haven't been mentioned :
Deadlock 1 & 2 :

The difference between the two is minimal, Deadlock 2 would be more of an expansion pack with SP campaign, improved ai/interface, sea battles, more tech to research, etc. But there is one technical , newer interface has fixed (low) resolution, and the original game uses desktop controls so it might look cleaner on modern systems. The game is made by long gone Cyberlore studios, the same guys that made fantastic Majesty, so its oozing with charm. Imagine if all races would battle over a single province based planet on a smaller scale then what would a regular 4x game would be with all the 4x mechanics, and you get Deadlock.

S-interface2.JPG

The Tone rebelion :

Really unique "quasi 4x" game, where the player choose one of four different type of Tone tribes to lead in interesting plot that runs throughout the game and unfolds with progress. Different tribes have different buildings to build, abilities, and spells to cast. The tone of the game is almost biblical in a sense that Tones are innocent creatures who are fighting over consuming evil force called Leviathan. Really unique plot and setting, and music is beyond epic. Highly recommended to at least try it for a few hours. Game of old as unique as this one are rarely seen.

51399.jpg

133.jpg
Lords of Magic :

Interesting cross between homm and lords of the realm with diplomacy and mission system. Definitely worth a try, and for 5.99$ you get both original game and special edition expansion.

graveyard_battle.PNG

never heard of first two that you mentioned... will try

fastjack

Augur
Deadlock 1 & 2 :

S-interface2.JPG

The Tone rebelion :

51399.jpg

133.jpg
Lords of Magic :

graveyard_battle.PNG

If you or anyone else could offer some brief descriptions of these games I'd be very grateful. The first one especially looks interesting. I am most interested in their general quality and which unique characteristics their gameplay possesses.

edit: just to be clear since you did provide some brief descriptions, are these games fun? How do they compare to the staples like MoO2, civ, or MoM?

Ashery

Prophet
edit: just to be clear since you did provide some brief descriptions, are these games fun? How do they compare to the staples like MoO2, civ, or MoM?

Lords of Magic looks good on paper and I remember enjoying the demo way back in the day, but the combat is, unfortunately, terrible. It pretty much requires you to game the mechanics and I no longer enjoy games that require the player to play in that manner.

It's been a while since I've played the Deadlock games, but I remember enjoying them.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Lords of Magic had realtime combat if I remember correctly. I played it as a child and loved it, but I was easily impressed back then.

Stefan Vujovic

Educated

They are very enjoyable especially Deadlock games, which compares most favorable to moo2, i remember enjoying them quite much when i was a kid, and what i like most about them is how charming they are. It really gives you that unique moo feel.

The Tone rebelion on the other hand is kinda hard game to explain, but i remember being quite impressed with it in the days and really drawn into that mystic world. You'll just have to try it to see what i mean. Its kinda hard to compare it moo, or to anything else for the matter.

Last edited:

uaciaut

Augur
Anyone try out Distant Worlds: Universe yet?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom