Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Callisto Protocol - new survival horror from Dead Space creator

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I imagine the stealth will be somewhat incentivized only early on, maybe with one or two short forced stealth segments. Much like the first The Evil Within.
It's something tacked on bc people seem to expect it from a survival horror games nowadays, it's not the game's main course in which case the complaints about simplistic stealth would be warranted.
Issue is, why bother with a mechanic that will become useless later? And there's also the problem of encounter designs, because if stealth is planned to be used throughout the game (and I see no reason why it wouldn't be), then this will impact the map and enemy composition/placements, adding a further wrinkle.

But besides all that, my main concern is that stealth will be the optimal way to play the game. If you have limited ammo and limited healing items, why not abuse the braindead, unresponsive AI to backstab all enemies and trivialize all encounters? As many games have proven so far, stealth only really works if the enemies are equipped with means to challenge the player, otherwise it just becomes a crutch to cheese through encounters.

Anyway the ranged combat actually doesn't look as bad as you guys claim.
Don't quote me on this, it's been a while since I played DS1 and DS2, but from I remember the plasma cutter was perfectly capable of cutting off a necromorph limb in two to three shots max, and this from the moment you get the weapon. Naturally, if you don't bother upgrading later enemies require more shots to chop off limbs.

The really worrying fact is that they thought this godawful trailer was a good way to showcase the game - barebones stealth with dumb, unresponsive AI, ranged and melee combat against spongy enemies and obvious ways to abuse stealth and telekinesis to cheese encounters.

There's a reason Dead Space didn't feature stealth, nor allow you to pick up enemies and throw them around.

I do hope the game is going to be good and scratches that Dead Space itch, but the more they showcase, the worse it looks.

toughasnails

Again, look at where the character is aiming at 1:01. Basically carelessly shooting at random at the enemy, not aiming at the limbs. Hence them not doing much damage to the creature.
But yeah, maybe this wasn't the best way to show off ranged combat. I suppose the idea might have been that the presentation would look more 'authentic" if the player is shown making mistakes...

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

'The Callisto Protocol' hands-on: Think Dead Space, but grosser​

The theme this winter is sci-fi horror and 'Callisto' does it right.
Jessica Conditt

J. Conditt
@JessConditt
October 26, 2022 11:00 AM

In this article: striking distance studios, gaming, ps5, feature, the callisto protocol, dead space
It’s a strange feeling. The Callisto Protocol is a new game from a studio with zero releases to its name, but playing it feels like coming home. Its mechanics, environments and monsters are deeply familiar, unapologetically feeding off the immersive sci-fi horror concepts of Dead Space. While playing a preview of The Callisto Protocol on PlayStation 5, I was reminded of that scene from Wayne’s World where the boys are looking down on a film set that looks like Wayne’s basement, but it’s not actually Wayne’s basement, and Garth says, "Isn’t that weird?" They all agree it is.
Playing The Callisto Protocol, I found myself trapped in a world between old and new. Like I said, it was strange. However, once the weirdness wore off, playing The Callisto Protocol just felt good.
Callisto is the first game out of Striking Distance Studios, a team led by Dead Space co-creator Greg Schofield — so yeah, all the references are coming straight from the source. And there are plenty of similarities to go around: Callisto stars a lone space dude fighting through rooms of mutated humans; headshots are less effective than shooting extremities and tentacles; there’s no UI and the protagonist’s health is displayed on the back of his neck; stomping enemies is the best way to ensure they’re dead; there’s a gravity gun that functions like a kinesis ability; and the death screens are particularly gruesome. One early level even has a vignette with the phrase, "shoot the tentacles" scrawled across the wall in blood, riffing on the classic Dead Space blood tag that read, "cut off their limbs."

I had the luxury of playing the Callisto Protocol preview just a week after trying out Motive Studio’s Dead Space remake, so the similarities stung sharply — but so did the differences. The Callisto Protocol does some things that Dead Space couldn’t, and it’s clearly a bigger game in a more complex world. Where the USG Ishimura in Dead Space often felt claustrophobic, the dead-moon prison colony in The Callisto Protocol feels vast and mazelike, with ladders, vents, long hallways, tight corridors and open laboratories with multiple access points for enemies, all of it overgrown with alien life.

The early game features a variety of enemy types — rushing monsters, tall spitters, leather-daddy tanks and invisible beasts with too many legs, to name a few — and they’re each difficult to kill in their own special ways. The twist is that all of the infected humans, or Biophage, will mutate in front of the player’s eyes when they’re not killed quickly enough, growing stronger in their evolved form. Enemy spawn points are not randomized, a fact that I discovered after dying a few times in a row in a single room. (The death screens are numerous and reach Mortal Kombat levels of brutality in the best possible way.)
All of these details result in a rich sense of strategy, with explodables, ammo drops and escape routes secreted around each combat area. Callisto is a video game for video game people, offering little actual direction while relying on the environment to communicate escape and attack opportunities — a suspiciously red canister in the middle of a long walkway, a ladder rung dangling just within reach, a box barely big enough to duck behind. Each detail blends smoothly into the futuristic surroundings, only standing out when a horde of Biophage are breathing down your neck.

Striking Distance Studios

Image Credit: Striking Distance Studios

The Callisto Protocol is a fully formed concept executed with proficiency. The Striking Distance crew clearly know how to make a game feel tense and horrific and satisfying, and with Callisto, they’re just showing off. Only one segment of my playthrough sticks out negatively in my mind: The protagonist essentially finds himself on a water slide, and players have to navigate the concrete pillars and other obstacles in his path. It isn’t a terrible concept, but personally, I don’t need any more on-rails sequences in my games. Overall though, the preview was a haze of sci-fi gore, action and surprise, and I’m excited to play the full game when it comes out on December 2nd.
To be honest, I almost expected more out of The Callisto Protocol — more growth since Dead Space, a new perspective on horror, a stronger attempt to be different than that iconic game. Instead, Callisto leans into Dead Space’s original ideas and competes with them directly, even down to the release timing — the Dead Space remake is due out just eight weeks after Callisto. Something about that feels personal, like The Callisto Protocol is shoving something in Dead Space’s face; as if, more than a decade later, Schofield is trying to prove something to EA. That’s not based on any conversations with developers, it’s just a gut feeling I have.

Conspiracy theories aside, it’s fortunate that Dead Space provides such a timeless foundation for The Callisto Protocol’s playground. The original ideas — immersive UI, strategic combat, horrific killscreens, tight metal corridors — remain effective today, and modern hardware only provides more room for these mechanics to breathe.
The Callisto Protocol contains a few fresh concepts, but its most satisfying mechanics are the familiar ones, spit-shined for a new generation. That said, The Callisto Protocol’s success isn’t guaranteed just because it’s riffing on proven ideas — the game still has to run smoothly and look beautiful. Luckily, it seems Striking Distance got it right in these areas, too. Playing for an hour on PS5, the game is perfectly polished, terrifying and gruesome. Somehow, The Callisto Protocol is entirely new, yet exactly as I remember.

Wow, this sounds better than I anticipated. Or perhaps it's just that particular vertical slice, and the rest of the game goes downhill. We will see.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Somehow, The Callisto Protocol is entirely new, yet exactly as I remember.

Wow, this sounds better than I anticipated. Or perhaps it's just that particular vertical slice, and the rest of the game goes downhill. We will see.
Only an imbecile could trust the old "same same but different" bullshit.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
telekinesis too strong
Yeah, that's the biggest worry.

I've watched a few videos of gameplay and I can't tell where the gauge for the telekinesis is supposed to be. It either must run on some sort of ammo/battery or have X number of "shots" before it goes into cooldown for it to not trivialize all combat.

Also, since the focus is now apparently on the melee, are there going to be more melee weapons than the one they've shown? Are there going to different suits you can equip? Will you be able to go for a fully ranged build if you invest enough resources into upgrading your firearms?

Because one of the big strengths of Dead Space 1 and 2 was all the various ways you could upgrade your arsenal and the different combinations of weapons you could take with you.

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected

Hmmm, camera is too far away for my taste. For more cinematic experience it should be much closer to the character's rectum; as if it's a colonoscopy operation... Fucking over-the-shoulder bullshit for the console crowd.

And it would be better without telekinesis powers, in my opinion. There are less reasons for me to scare if I can levitate and throw the shit out of creatures with my magical powers.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really like that the game got melee, but I wish it was more like Eternal Darkness - having you target parts. This look more like dodge, and spam. But at least it's there.

Ash

Arcane
Lame, it has lock-on gun finishers. Day 1 mod please: instead of this behavior, that target appears temporarily after delivering a beating (same conditions) which is a "weak point". MANUALLY aim and hit the target for the same result as this gay lock-on finisher shit for casuals.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Lame, it has lock-on gun finishers. Day 1 mod please: instead of this behavior, that target appears temporarily after delivering a beating (same conditions) which is a "weak point". MANUALLY aim and hit the target for the same result as this gay lock-on finisher shit for casuals.
You can disable gun reticle for best immersion.

toughasnails

telekinesis too strong
Is it though? It's not as if we are likely to see the environmental hazards like the one from previous gameplay vid in every damn room. And if you paid attention the player first injured an enemy a fair bit before he used telekinesis on them so I suppose you could imagine how unhurt enemies or just stronger types could for example be either slowed down by it rather than fully incapacitated or they could break out of it.

Ash

Arcane
You can disable gun reticle for best immersion.
I am not talking about reticule nor immersion, I am talking about awesome button instakill gun finishers. It would be way more engaging if you had to manually aim at the target that appears for crit damage/finisher, rather than this casual shit.

Melee combat is a terrible decision. The need to keep enemies away from you in Dead Space 1 & 2 was one of the things that contributed to the game's tension and fear. There was a sense that enemies were dangerous and if they got right up to you you'd be in trouble (which was true - you'd lose a lot of health if they hit or grabbed you, and most of them were melee enemies). Yes, melee was weak and not very good - but that's the point. Dead Space 3 made it possible to turn yourself into a melee beast via certain upgrades, to the point that you could actually beat up Twitchers in melee. Not that it was the optimal build, but it really destroyed a lot of the tension when you could just run up and beat the shit out of a Necromorph. Callisto Protocol is taking that silliness and making it a core part of the game. What kind of tension will there be when an enemy's running at you when you know you're about to beat the piss out of him?

razvedchiki

Erudite
they did the same when they released dead space 1, i remember the guy currently defending unpaid overtime saying that the dev team used photos from morgues to draw inspiration.
if you are 12 i guess you may get impressed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom