Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Callisto Protocol - new survival horror from Dead Space creator

Codex Year of the Donut
people will get angry at gamedevs asked to work extra near the launch of a product while posting from their device that was made by child laborers working 20 hours a day for a quarter

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The audio theater thing was pretty good. Listened to the two episodes they uploaded. Well produced, with good voice acting and cool sound effects. Nice to hear Michael Ironside again. Cool getting provided background lore. I remember they did the same for Dead Space with comics. Wish it was a bit longer though.

ferratilis

Magister
I really don't like this trend in media of creating tension with the same droning bass sound. They keep putting it in every movie trailer, then it crept its way into actual movies, TV shows, and games. It's everywhere. The most recent example I've heard is in the latest adaptation of All Quiet on the Western Front on Netflix. The same, looping bass sound is repeated throughout the film, but it sounds completely out of place and serves more to annoy the viewer than make scenes intense.

There is definitely a place for melody in horror. It can create tension well, and is a lot more memorable than the same repeating pattern of a few notes. My favorite example is the original RE2:

Music in the remake is very sparse. It adds to the realism and helps to hear Tyrant's footsteps, however it removes a lot of the horror ambiance of the original. There's an option to play with the original soundtrack, and it elevates the experience imo.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Argh, the super low frequency, deep ominous music they mention being a recent trend in movies, not a fan. Usually ridiculous, and very little melody. Sound effects are of course like that now too. Remember reading that the Dunkirk veterans complained the battle wasn't as loud as Nolan's movie.

Yeah, there's no melody in what the sound designer is showing off. It's just noise.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Coming on 2 weeks until launch for this bad boy. I'm fucking ready and pumped. Nothing else great is getting released, and im a huge survival horror nerd and loved deadspace 1+2

100 % day1 for me, and will be playing at launch till the end.
pls be good pls be good pls be good!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
gamingdragons and k4g are advertising this game for 45 euros. they are scammers. don't buy from those sites!

basically at the moment there is no way to buy the game at a discount (<50euros). perhaps things will change near the release date

mkultra

Augur

Argh, the super low frequency, deep ominous music they mention being a recent trend in movies, not a fan. Usually ridiculous, and very little melody. Sound effects are of course like that now too. Remember reading that the Dunkirk veterans complained the battle wasn't as loud as Nolan's movie.

Yeah, there's no melody in what the sound designer is showing off. It's just noise.

it would be much harder to make something melodic as interactive as it is here though, when something happens it triggers a specific sound. i mean you could trigger a short melody for a certain area and similar i guess, but i do think drones/noise works really well for more alien soundscapes that doesn't make us think about something created by human.
But i'm probably biased since i've listened to harsh noise / industrial music and ambient for some 35 years, i don't care a lot for melody.

anyways, game looks great and brutal, can't wait and i'm rarely hyped for anything these days.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Knowing little about this game, really thought that was Gwendoline Christie in the thumbnail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom