Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Case of the Golden Idol

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How is there not a thread for this already?

Really good detective game in the vein of Obra Dinn. Go play it.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
sequel is dropping .... apparently within the next week.
I mean this could just be anouncement that they are developing another game/release date anouncement not a full game getting released on the 27th... Generally indie games don't fair well with the 2-3 month long media blitz>release style.

Ninja: Should probably get staff to move this to adventure gaming so it doesn't get buried by popular console game thread #97231.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Should probably get staff to move this to adventure gaming so it doesn't get buried by popular console game thread #97231.
I was getting ready to argue this isn't an adventure game ... but it self-identifies as one so by Codex Law it officially is. Paging Infinitron for thread move

Capture.PNG

This was my game of the year for 2022. Absolutely loved everything about it. I liked it even better than Obra Dinn, although it's not as sophisticated as that game. Highly, highly recommended.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
it seems to be a DLC. dunno how many cases / scenario it will have but

:d1p:

sorry, shadows of doubt, i kinda just intended to get it but i can wait until it's near 1.0 i guess

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
While it's good news that a good game gets more love, there's something off about this one.

Gut feeling. Best to wait and see.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
While it's good news that a good game gets more love, there's something off about this one.

Gut feeling. Best to wait and see.
the same thing is off as in the sumatra game
exotic parts are fit for jumping and shooting not for point & click

Antigoon

Augur
Didn't play it yet, but its 3 more cases. Was hoping for a bit more, but at least they all seem to be rather lengthy.

Zombra

Patron
First game, $18, six scenarios = $3 each.
DLC, $6, three larger scenarios at $2 each.

Haha wow I'm really in the last stages of sanity

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
waiting for the DLC to go on greenmangaming.com, which I assume it will since the original was up there... will most likely be more discounted than on steam just like when the game itself released.

Solved the first case, pretty fun. However, I think there's a mistake in the layout:

In the tournament blackboard, the blue player is on the bottom row two times out of three - you're supposed to infer that from the only results sheet that's available (on the Oberon Geller/Carlos Luna table at the far right).

However, for the Pandula Senevi/Sri Thagson table (the one in the middle), the blue player is listed on the top results row, and results seem inverted.

Did I miss something? I still solved it without clues w/ basic inference and elimination, but still, that one piece doesn't fit.

Antigoon

Augur
Solved the first case, pretty fun. However, I think there's a mistake in the layout:

In the tournament blackboard, the blue player is on the bottom row two times out of three - you're supposed to infer that from the only results sheet that's available (on the Oberon Geller/Carlos Luna table at the far right).

However, for the Pandula Senevi/Sri Thagson table (the one in the middle), the blue player is listed on the top results row, and results seem inverted.

Did I miss something? I still solved it without clues w/ basic inference and elimination, but still, that one piece doesn't fit.
Does look right to me.

Pendula/yellow wins the first with minotaur vs. boar, and loses the 2nd (archer vs. minotaur) and 3rd (boar vs. archer) against Sri/blue

Does look right to me.

Pendula/yellow wins the first with minotaur vs. boar, and loses the 2nd (archer vs. minotaur) and 3rd (boar vs. archer) against Sri/blue
Yes, but

if the result is YBB, the results table should be:

W
()WW

instead of:

()WW
W

According to the only results that are given to us in the results sheet; we make the first deduction re: results based on blue W being on the bottom row. The other table (left) also follows this pattern. Why is the order of results inverted only for this table?

Antigoon

Augur
Finally solved the 2nd DLC case. I'd say its a mid tier case, couple of screens, almost 40 hints. But overall quite logically. Really feels like a true expansion to the base game without even trying to reinvent anything.

Zombra

Patron
Yeah. I would have liked a dozen more scenarios but what we got in the DLC is jolly good for $6. Totally worth it. I'd be happy to pay $6 every 6 months for more of this.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
finished the DLC. gameplay wise it's more of less the exact same, which is good actually. story-wise i thought it was excellent addition and needed contex to the main game. compared to everything, the DLC cases are pretty good, the 2nd and 3rd one is great, but not as good as the best ones in the main game. i do agree case 2 to case 3 seemed like a bit of a leap so i had a hard time figuring out the gap and it's important for the context of case 3.

anyways, whatever they make next, insta buy for me, such a creative little game.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I bought this and the DLC in the last Steam sale. I haven't touched the DLC yet, but I finished the main game and I really enjoyed it. It's a bit short though, so I'd suggest picking it up on sale.

Are there other games like this? Is that Obra Dinn mentioned here similar and as good?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom