Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

laclongquan

Arcane
E.

If there's anything to learn from history is that this kind of shit cant be regulated or controled. Anyform of control may well lead to racism tensions. Oh sure, in this case is the form of class tensions: the have can become modded, and the havenot cant. The purists may make use of that, but at the end of days which mother would refute her children some advantages for later in life?

E I said and E it should be. Force research forward so that modding can become cheap, easy, safe, and let no silly registration regulations stand in the way.

You are modded or you are pure... So what?

EDIT: if any bug dare to meddle uninvited in our genes, that will be an excellent excuse to wage war over that particular clan. If we are weaker, invite other clans in to punish the guiltee. Dont forget the hyperindividualistic character. It mean that you can always count on some clans to attack other, provide that the price is right.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Fools, that could quite possibly lead to a civil war.
We can't risk stability in our current position.
We would end in ruin.
And to totally outlaw it would be to hand Codexia straight to the crimelords.

The only sane choice here is to restrict it to some degree.

Angthoron

Arcane
A civil war? That is a serious claim. What do you see would be the cause of such a thing?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
When we argued for restrictions on trade with the Raumen, we were overruled on the greater faith in Codexian ingenuity and enterprise. It turned out that the Raumen had even more cunning than the Council had gave them credit for, resulting in their domination of certain sectors in our economy.

Now we are embracing with every fibre of our being a technology that was aided to conception by Raumen minds?

We had access to low-level genetic tampering techniques previously, but it was not until Raumen medtech experts found employment in fertility clinics, cosmetic surgeries and dermatological treatment centers that Pandora's Box creaked open. Their knowledge unlocked our genetic markers with remarkable ease.

Beware the Raumen and their lies. We do not require gross modifications of our bulk. Four-armed Codexians? Six-eyed Codexians? Winged Codexians with tentacled appendages?

It will all end in :mhd:. I just know it.

edit:
Angthoron said:
A civil war? That is a serious claim. What do you see would be the cause of such a thing?

A major social rift threatened, with purists/the poor on one side and the modded on the other. How would the crisis be handled?

Prior to the proposal of legislation, the purists and the modded were ready to brain each other on the streets. The aim of legislation is to control mods so that there is less difference between purists and modded. By implementing regulation we concede some leeway to purists, satiating their mod-ism, but also in the meantime provide true and fair legal standing to those who choose to pursue tech-mods.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hark! A villainous spy had taken over my communication console! A foolish assistant that desired to have not one, but two multi-headed organs of procreation!

He will be executed at dawn.

As Councillor Treave says, the genetic modifications come from our former foes. Certainly, they are a peaceful race of ingenious traders, but think about this, Codexians!

They've expanded to gigantic sizes. Their military might is potent. And yet they are peaceful traders. How did they expand? Why, it's obvious! They've introduced genetic engineering, and when enough of their victim populations were indoctrinated, they would trigger a switch, or pull a trigger, or whatnot, I am no scientist, and the entire population of a world would turn into the arachnid-like non-spiders!

They are taking us over, Council! Do not let the alien scum conquer us from within!

We must fight them with what we've mastered well - the mechanic augmentations.

Voting D.

wjw

Augur
I vote E.

All people voting for D wanted techadvance in the previous round, when we finally got this tech advantage they want to return to the middle-ages. Populists I say! With them being pure and all that shit... Vivez Michael Jackson!

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Angthoron said:
First off there is the purists.
They will probably clash with the modded people more than currently if we allow all kinds of mods.
Secondly, giving the people that kind of power is bound to create chaos.
Civilians rioting in the streets because of their newfound powers...
All that tension will probably result in a civil war.

Even if it doesn't go that far it is still bad for both the economy and morale.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
List of desired Codexian technological advances:
Better virtual reality simulators.
Big guns.
Stuff that looks awesome with wires and glowing lights and mechanical noises.
Suits of uber cool power armour.
Lightsabers.
Bigger guns.
Multi-headed dicks.

List of undesired Codexian technological advances:
Gribbly melting gooey biotechnology.
Becoming bug-like servants of an alien race.
Gribbly stuff.
Five hundred eyes.
Shooting white goo at your enemies to defeat them.
Melting together in one big puddle of transcendental flesh.

Also, we won't know if the aliens have their grubby spindles in our gene pool until it is too late. Whose bright idea was it to hire them to work in our FERTILITY CLINICS?

Angthoron

Arcane
It must have been someone that thought that laying out five hundred eggs would be all the rage.

Oh, and Councillor, FTL travel is missing from your desired techs list.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
While I would love to crush some bugs, I have nothing against my own people.
I have no wish to slaughter them during an uprising thanks to your carelessness, fellow council members.

Reconsider your choice before it is too late.

madbringer

Arcane
These are troubled times, indeed. We stand ahead a difficult choice - embrace what gene-tampering might bring us and risk a civil war, or restrict it, mayhap hampering our evolutionary progress as a species, but making sure we retain our integrity as a civilization.

I agree with Mr. Treave on this one. We must not embrace the vile trickery of our insectoid neighbours - letting genetic and biological modifications run rampant is a risk not only to our collective gene pool, but also our economy and identity. Tech mods should be allowed, for the very reasons Mr. Treave brought forth. Naturally, i vote D.

Still, i think some minor implementations of such advances would be in order. Who wouldn't want to have teeth that never rot, strengthened immunological system, no near-sightedness, et cetera? Nothing too drastic, of course - just stuff that eases everyday life.

A question begs answering, though - what should we do with those already heavily modified? Most of them would be privileged men and women, certainly of some power and wealth. Restricting public access is one thing, but alienating a throng of powerful individuals is another. We need them for our war efforts, er, i mean, to help succeed any economical endeavour we might have on our hands. Unfortunately, i lack the suave and cunning to figure something out. It also goes without saying, all of them should be sterilized, to ensure none of their mock genetic traits corrupt our future youth.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
We don't need FTL when, with sufficient Wyrmhole mastery, we can warp Economist Bombs directly into the heart of the enemy's stars. :smug:

Given that our forte is in mass production, I would say that our optimal fleet would be one equipped with heavy armour, shielding, and devastating long range attacks. A fortress would be a more apt description for an ideal Codexian battleship. Wyrmhole tech allows us to warp past enemy defense grids, planting our fortress fleet directly within firing range of the enemy's homeworlds. With massive amounts of drone scouts, good sensors and tracking capability, we should be able to grind out strategic victories by directly assaulting enemy worlds instead of engaging in prolonged ship-to-ship combat out in the gulf of space.

I suppose this is where our viewpoints on military doctrine differ. We shall see if it will be put to a vote.

Either way, everyone here is voting for the good of Codexia, so I will abide by any decision made by the Council. Unless some of you are secretly bug-sympathizers who have been brain-washed by some gen-mod you picked up at the parlour down the street.

Then you deserve to be shot.

edit: We simply have to register all individuals who have been or will be modded, be it bio-, gen- or tech-. Individuals with bio-mods and gen-mods should be allowed to stay free for now. By restricting future mods of that nature, we should attempt to convince them that this is not to kill off their future, but because they are special existences. Any person who would give himself five more dicks and a couple of arms is someone whose ego you can stroke. At any rate, accidents can be arranged and blamed on faulty mods to turn public opinion against gen and bio mods. But we must take care not to fully pin any blame on Raumen medical experts, no matter how tempting that may be.

The real problem will be with black-market modding. But if we legalize all forms of modding just because we are unable to stop black-market modding, we might as well legalize all crime across Codexia.

Maria

Novice
If I may be so bold as to cast my vote in with you fine arguing gentlemen.

As I see it the race of codexians has inherent weaknesses, in a straight up fight between us and the other alien races the outcome seems grim. We only narrowly evaded complete destruction from the Raumen because of clever use of diplomacy.
But here we have a unique opportunity to even the odds! With the recent advancements in genetic engineering we can make the race as a whole superior. You and your children will not fear diseases, natural or engineered by some unknown alien race.
Our future scientist will by far surpass the ones currently employed. Genetic engineering is the future!

I cast my vote for E

laclongquan

Arcane
Why put up laws that just ask to be ignored?

On another note, Free to Mod will help in research and colonization.

And the first fucker put up some silly forced registration for mod up to vote will receive my 1st contract hit. I wont tolerate it in my libelfag Codexia. THat way lie the ruin of the ancient Reich. Praise all you want about Hitler, that clown know nothing about our job.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I urge you most forcefully to desist from this foolishness! Free Mod for any who want!

/sotto voice to his aide: contact me one agency, just in case.

Cenobyte

Prophet
My vote goes for e)

Laissez faire, laissez passer

We should, however, regulate the use of military-grade implants and genetic modifications. I guess it's of little use if we end up with a huge mass of anarchistic ultra-cyborgs on steroids and a determination to cause havoc in Codexia.

madbringer

Arcane
Excessive gene tampering is a folly, and i shall not stand by that kind of foolishness. We need not prove our racial superiority with an unnatural count of appendages, we shall prove it with steel leviathans, raining down sizzling death upon those that choose to stand in our way!

Tensions are high enough as is, and this is a way to ease up a bit. Not much we can do about illegal operations and black market mods. With proper policing and harsh penalties we can, at least, ensure it won't get out of hand. Not that it would anyway - as was said, those procedures require considerable amounts of kredits, the prices will surely only rise after outlawing such practices, thus limiting the, already small, availability.

One day, maybe, we will be ready to allow our protectorate to toy with their genes, without having to worry about horrid side effects such as civil revolts. That day, however, has certainly not yet come.

Remember, it all came from the crawling tricksters. It's a bit suspicious how readily they opened up their gene-tampering arms to hug the curious, yet gullible, man. While i wouldn't say that to the public, i myself think it may be a part of a wide-scale assimilation/enslavement agenda.

Beware the mutant, the alien, the heretic. :salute:

laclongquan

Arcane
Shrug!

Let them!

My soldier could use practice massacre on those rebels.... Come to think of it, your police officers could use the practice.

The right to bear arms doesnt mean you can bare arms indiscrimnately. Responsibly, that's the key word!

lightbane

Arcane
I vote for D, the purity of the human body is sacred!!! And we must not allow these treacherous xenos to lose our identity!!!! I say only bionics and nothing else.

PS: Mr Barbarian btw, even if it does not affect the game what kind of technological level Codexia has now? There are flying cars? Lasguns? Bolters? Railguns? Power-armors and mechs are standard warfare thingies? Do they recruit emotionally unstable children to pilot giant organic robots?

Maria

Novice
Our glorious scientists and doctors will naturally double check everything so there's no nasty surprises.

laclongquan

Arcane
I will remind ladies and gentlemen again that the last war was started by civilians' consensus to attack unprepared, without intel, and uncoordinated. Should war with bugs break out again we will definitely do better. None of that skirmish shit that's the favourite of them. Nonono, a feint hammer on their secondary bases, but one full attack on the most important headquarter of the clan that goes to war with us.

Fact is, we need FTL to provide more tactical options. It's not that we cant win without it, but that win is pyrrhic in nature. Please bear that in minds whenever dealing with bugs arose.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A new councillor, who has just joined halfway through the great debate on Codexian modification, assuring us that our medical personnel will ensure that the Raumen do not slip any nasty gene-code past them?

How... suspicious.

We seem to be at an impasse now, with equal numbers on the tech-mod faction and the all-mod faction, thanks to Master Lightbane's vote. I wonder how it will all go from here.

:rpgnazi: or :mhd: ?

lightbane

Arcane
I insist the purity of our human body must be maintained, we still don't trust the xenos enough to fully use their technology, it's better to be paranoid than lament later...

PS: Besides, the Adeptus Mechanicus say that the perfection of machine will always surpass flesh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom