Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I don't know if its as clear cut as that. The question of what went wrong and the difference between chaos flame and the first flame is described fairly vaguely

We'll never know exactly, but by taking a few steps back it's obvious that Izalith somehow created a mockery of the flame : it's clearly a degenerate version we're dealing with, twisting things instead of sustaining them.
Besides everything goes horribly wrong with every character that seeks to find a middle solution for himself or the world, instead of a transcendant one like the PC (ultimately sacrificing oneself or the world). Not only do the witches fail and get mutated in the process, but Logan goes crazy if nothing stands in his path to knowledge, the onion knight goes hollow if he's got the chance to perform an heroic deed like he wanted to, same as the pyromancer you rescued if you tell him the secret of augmented pyromancy, Solaire finds his "sun" and goes mad... The list is long indeed.

Xi

Arcane
Not criticising the game (never played/seen it, heard only good things about it), but my god there's a lot of codexers who own consoles.

The game is available on PC too.

It's so much better on PC too. I played about 200 hours on PS3 version, and so far about 50h on PC version. So much smoother and faster loading. Love it. ;P The beauty of it is that I use my laptop connected to my TV so the game plays like it's running on a next gen console (but this gen). Teehee :D

Heresiarch

Prophet
Not criticising the game (never played/seen it, heard only good things about it), but my god there's a lot of codexers who own consoles.

You really, really should play it then. God, I wish I can just switch my brain which is full Dark Souls experience with your virgin mind of the game, so I can taste the sweet first time feeling with it...

Murk

Arcane
Besides everything goes horribly wrong with every character that seeks to find a middle solution for himself or the world, instead of a transcendant one like the PC (ultimately sacrificing oneself or the world). Not only do the witches fail and get mutated in the process, but Logan goes crazy if nothing stands in his path to knowledge, the onion knight goes hollow if he's got the chance to perform an heroic deed like he wanted to, same as the pyromancer you rescued if you tell him the secret of augmented pyromancy, Solaire finds his "sun" and goes mad... The list is long indeed.

Hrmm? I thought Siegmeyer goes hollow only if you save him when he tries to sacrifice himself to save you? If you save him you can hear in his voice how he's disappointed and hopeless, but if you let him die to help you he dies with his dignity/pride intact. He still dies but better to die on your feet than to etc. on your knees or whatever.

EDIT: Apparently I've only seen one of three potential horrible endings, so I retract my previous statement.

Or are you just pointing out that in this game, there is no such thing as victory; only degrees of failure?

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Thank you. May fire up a game sometime soon, trying to correlate something grand in my head and something practicable with the games mechanics. This game is Skyrim for masochists. I intend to see it through once and for all, and I'm no masochist.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Using "for Men" here doesn't have the same impact as you imagine bro, especially since the few ladies around are more hardcore than 95% of the Codex... :lol:

Zlaja

Arcane
Being a man in today's society is just so unrewarding. I kind a feel like the dinosaurs just before the big comet struck. Dino-bros were probably running around like headless chickens screaming "ITZ". I can relate.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think it did, since it even spawned a sequel, but you have to recall that at that time standars were others.... selling 200-300k copies was the "okay" level...

Jokulmorder

Novice
Being a man in today's society is just so unrewarding. I kind a feel like the dinosaurs just before the big comet struck. Dino-bros were probably running around like headless chickens screaming "ITZ". I can relate.
Really? :incline:

Thank you. May fire up a game sometime soon, trying to correlate something grand in my head and something practicable with the games mechanics. This game is Skyrim for masochists. I intend to see it through once and for all, and I'm no masochist.
It's not really that much like Skyrim. Skyrim has a big world map where you kinda just walk places and do stuff and are supposed to feel "immersed". Dark Souls is smaller and has more quality per area. It's a big obstacle course that loops into itself many times with detours and shortcuts, except the obstacles are giant man-eating clams on stilt legs.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I see Demon's Souls and Dark Souls as closer to a survival-horor than to a Skyrim. Hell I've got a far greater feeling of playing a poor dude that is no prepared for all the shit he's go to face, that every bit of the environment is hostile and that all odds are stacked against me in those game than in Dead Space or all the resent Resident Evil.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Yeah I beat Demon's Souls but never finished Dark Souls. I did the same with Demon's Souls, put the game down after getting bored and frustrated then finally said "FUCK YOUOIOUOUO!" and finished.

Getting pumped now, the game is well-paved at this point and ready for a stroller.

Dire Roach

Prophet
I see Demon's Souls and Dark Souls as closer to a survival-horor than to a Skyrim. Hell I've got a far greater feeling of playing a poor dude that is no prepared for all the shit he's go to face, that every bit of the environment is hostile and that all odds are stacked against me in those game than in Dead Space or all the resent Resident Evil.
The greatest irony of Dark Souls for me is that even though the PC is undead and you have "infinite lives," it's one of the games where I've feared dying the most.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Nothing's quite as soul-crushing as losing the dozens of humanity you've scrounged together and the hundreds of thousands of souls you've gathered to some cheesing prick with armed with Homing crystal soulmass and pursuers. Then dying again to some rookie mistake because you're so annoyed.

betamin

Learned
Is there a cheat or a mod that allows you to start a NG+ with a level 1 character?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom