Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Doktor Best

Arcane
Hollow Knight is a great game to scratch that itch. Its not 3D though.

Surge 2 is pretty good and very similar in design.

polo

Magister
I back the hollow knight bit, its got a great exploration and bscktracking design. Its not very challenging tho.

monilloman

Educated
Returning to the ontopic, finished the game last night on my main savefile while also fucking around with like other 6 characters to try builds/npc interactions and some... questlines? Don't have much to add that hasn't been said in the last 30 or so pages (game loses its charm after anor londo, feels rushed, yadda yadda) but figured I had some shittakes to add.

- Bed of Chaos isn't the worst bossfight at all, 4Kings takes that place for me.
- The RPG aspect of the game is shit, while functional and staying out of the way, first time going into the game you'd figure that DEX would do something like improving attack speed, roll speed or movement overall only to find out it does nothing, just adds to scaling like half of the stats in there.
- There's too much hidden information, raising 25 FTH to join a covenant? improving your spellcasting speed by raising DEX by at least lvl 35? poise thresholds? A NPC that dise because you didn't immediately run to the church? At some point the subtle tips stopped making the cut for me and I just went full wiki, there's no way in hell I would've figured out that I needed to reload the game in order for the bird to trade for me, just left some item and stood there utterly confused.

Having said this, I loved the game and still would rate it like a 9, now to continue with the series and rage once again with even more of this obtuse design decisions :salute:

- There's too much hidden information, raising 25 FTH to join a covenant? improving your spellcasting speed by raising DEX by at least lvl 35? poise thresholds? A NPC that dise because you didn't immediately run to the church? At some point the subtle tips stopped making the cut for me and I just went full wiki, there's no way in hell I would've figured out that I needed to reload the game in order for the bird to trade for me, just left some item and stood there utterly confused.

I love From Software games but that was always the worst thing about them to me. So yeah, don't feel bad about looking stuff up regarding mechanics, it's easy to miss important shit if you don't.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
- Bed of Chaos isn't the worst bossfight at all, 4Kings takes that place for me.
DPS race. What can you do? BoC is an anticheat tool.
- The RPG aspect of the game is shit, while functional and staying out of the way, first time going into the game you'd figure that DEX would do something like improving attack speed, roll speed or movement overall only to find out it does nothing, just adds to scaling like half of the stats in there.
DEX does what it says in the description for NG. NG+ or higher, it has bonus effects to keep up with the increased difficulty. Makes sense.
Most of these things took people thousands of hours to figure out. You're not supposed to figure those things out in 1 playthrough.

Like... for example, the cops can invade up to 70 SLs lower. How easy do you think this is to find out on your first DS run? :)

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Dex actually improves one type of movement, spell casting speed. But the improvement is minimal and it's not worth putting that many points into dex if you play a mage in DS1, enemies aren't all that twitchy anyway. It's something you could do if you keep doing NG+ runs and feel like levelling up further though.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Playing this game made me realize how much I love interconnected central hubs with tons of backtracking (resident evil being amongst my favourite games)

Any suggestions on other 3D games that would scratch that itch? Demon souls is next in my list btw.

The original Dead Rising is all about learning the paths of the small tool/sandbox world and getting back whole while under increasing pressure.
Screw all the sequels.

monilloman

Educated
I actually started the game with PTDE (since that's the own I own) and after messing around for a few hours with dsfix, mousefix and what not I gave up and moved on to the remaster. While it does look considerably worse (specially O&S, holy fuck how did they let that slip in), I'd argue the 60 fps and stable ones (plus vsync) are more than enough of a reason to switch over, not to mention some QoL such as consuming multiple items at a time and remapping jump to a different button. Plus, for keyboard&mouse users the game can be played straight out of the box.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Replaying the game after Elden Ring and I've been going through with heavy armour and all my points in vitality and endurance. I've been using Quelaags Furysword and the Lightning Spear and it was going well up until Manus and Kalameet. I do about 50 damage to Kalameet with each attack and maybe 60 or so to Manus. This is a nightmare, please save me.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Replaying the game after Elden Ring and I've been going through with heavy armour and all my points in vitality and endurance. I've been using Quelaags Furysword and the Lightning Spear and it was going well up until Manus and Kalameet. I do about 50 damage to Kalameet with each attack and maybe 60 or so to Manus. This is a nightmare, please save me.
Split damage weapons. Bro, they are total garbage in DS1. Even if you felt you did well in previous bosses, you would have done better with a good weapon. Upgrade a normal weapon, any one of them. Even if you don't have high stats in str or dex, they will still do better than furysword. Then use a buff consumable or spell. Magic weapon is only 10 int, Great Magic 15.

Furysword might seem like a good idea on the few occasions you hit something that is weak to fire, like Ornstein, but it's really dogshit.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Split damage weapons. Bro, they are total garbage in DS1.
Thanks, I thought they were good for some reason, must've been mislead by someone. It is insane the resists they gave these bosses though. Kalameet has 900 in magic and fire and nearly 800 in lightning. I'll switch to a normal weapon
I don't think we can physically press your buttons to put points into strength and upgrade a claymore, sorry.
Not with that attitude...

Actually now that I think of it the same thing happened on my first playthrough. I got quelaags sword because I thought it looked cool but ended up switching to a normal weapon because I did no damage

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Thanks, I thought they were good for some reason, must've been mislead by someone. It is insane the resists they gave these bosses though. Kalameet has 900 in magic and fire and nearly 800 in lightning. I'll switch to a normal weapon

Well, very early in the life of Dark Souls 1, lightning path weapons were good, too much so. Then they got nerfed to the ground. The Giantsdad meme originated from a real build people did that consisted of lightning zweihanders (not chaos).

For PVE, lightning probably is still the better element if only because less things have insane resistances to it, I think, but your weapon will always do more damage if you use a normal upgrade path and buff it.

Furysword is one of the two noob traps of the game in a way. The first is the drake sword. It's more base damage than whatever you have upgraded at that point in the game. Then you upgrade it to max and compare it to a max normal weapon and it does dogshit damage. They're two weapons that are at most okay-ish when you can get them (or in the case of furysword, ascend a normal) but getting to the end game with this shit is bound to leave regrets.

Wunderbar

Arcane
why did you even try to slash a dragon with a fire weapon

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom