Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

deuxhero

Arcane
So I blew a prepaid creditcard giftcard on PSN points (remind me never to do that again. Why the hell are you making a test charge for on digital goods? Had to wait a week to get an even ammount again so I could spend it on steam wallet) that I used to buy the DLC and I finally cleared the backlog enough to play it.

I keep barely losing to Artorias due to being severely out of practice and being the exact anti-thesis to my build (his size and agility means magic sucks at hitting him and the open area makes getting a casting difficult. A nice change of pace)

Anyone up for jolly-coperation? PSN is the same my username, and I'm SL80.

edit: Nevermind. Got someone else to help.

UserNamer

Cipher
I finally started playing dark souls on the pc and I'm definitely hooked. It's a very well designed GAME first of all, not a collection of cutscenes or dialogues like many other "games". The challenge is surprisingly fair, I'm at anor londo now and I fully got the hang of the game, and I have to say it's fairness surprised me despite its reputation as an harsh game. It may be harsh, but predictably so.

On top of the game itself I think the little bits of lore and dialogues make the experience interesting. Most whoah moment for me was finding that giant tree, proceeding to the bottom, and getting out to that beach with the giant forest of giant trees in the distance.

The game can get a little silly with the enemies, at some point it reminded me of old 2d platform games of castles and giant vegetation and wacky creatures. Those mushroom guys were surprisingly disturbing considering how silly their idea is.

ALso the port is not bad at all, well it's not perfect but it runs decently and it is perfectly playable with keyboard + mouse.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Soloed the Four Kings on my 1st try :smug: That Queelag's Furysword +4 was really effective.
Now at Gravelord's bonfire. The same guy invaded me twice, and I beat him twice even though I couldn't get a lock on him -- I guess that was the 'ring of fog' I heard so much about. I got summoned once and helped someone defeat the Gravelord even though I got killed in the process. But on my own I barely got to the waters with the little fuckers who, I'm astonished to say, drop Humanity. But the boss seems tough as hell. Gotta switch my Havel's Armor to something posion resistant, I guess.

Any non-very spoilerish tips on how I get a Titanite Slab? I'd like to get my Lightning Claymore to +5.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If it's the regular titanite slab, you should look around in firelink.

Soloed the Four Kings on my 1st try :smug: That Queelag's Furysword +4 was really effective.
Nice. IIRC, they are weak to fire.

Now at Gravelord's bonfire. The same guy invaded me twice, and I beat him twice even though I couldn't get a lock on him -- I guess that was the 'ring of fog' I heard so much about.
That's odd, you should be able to lock on to RoF users (they changed it in a patch).

I got summoned once and helped someone defeat the Gravelord even though I got killed in the process. But on my own I barely got to the waters with the little fuckers who, I'm astonished to say, drop Humanity. But the boss seems tough as hell. Gotta switch my Havel's Armor to something posion resistant, I guess.
He shouldn't be too tough. Try to take out the first small skeletons with a divine weapon to prevent their resurrection, and stay away from the giant ones to prevent them joining the fight.

Any non-very spoilerish tips on how I get a Titanite Slab? I'd like to get my Lightning Claymore to +5.
See if you can head back towards the undead asylum.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Now at Gravelord's bonfire. The same guy invaded me twice, and I beat him twice even though I couldn't get a lock on him -- I guess that was the 'ring of fog' I heard so much about. I got summoned once and helped someone defeat the Gravelord even though I got killed in the process. But on my own I barely got to the waters with the little fuckers who, I'm astonished to say, drop Humanity. But the boss seems tough as hell. Gotta switch my Havel's Armor to something posion resistant, I guess.

I thought the ring of fog was nerfed to allow lock-on in a patch a while ago, did it get un-nerfed? I'm assuming you're fully patched, otherwise you couldn't be playing multiplayer.

If you want to farm alot (hint: you don't), I think the Darkwraiths in the New Londo ruins have a very low chance of dropping a Titanite slab. Otherwise, the most non-spoilerish hint I can give you is very lightly spoilerish in that it may reveal the existence of an area you weren't aware of:

to try and return to the Undead Asylum

Elwro

Arcane
Thanks guys for the tips re: the boss and the slab! I did know about the return to the Asylum; I went there for the magic-resistant shield and the way to get to the painted world. But I left the boss for later; I guess this must be it ;)

Hm, divine weapon. I only have a divine club +5 or whatever, but I guess it'll do against the skeletons... then I'll switch to something else.

edit: and well, I definitely was not able to get a lock-on. Don't know why!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, I got the game after a long time of pondering whether or not it'll mesh well with my depression and perfectionism. Played for the first time today. Currently a Sorcerer at SL 35 and making forays into Undead Parish.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is a wonderful game for anyone who is depressed. This game knows the quiet solace of melancholy. It is eerie how they all become hollow, losing hope. But the world goes on, over and over. A cycle never-ending, like the ending suggests.

It's all so pointless- but then, that was the point, wasn't it?

Vaarna_Aarne

Seriously? I'm usually in anor londo before I hit SL 35, even if I'm not rushing.
Well, I figured I might as well get my Int to 44 when I found such a good grinding bonfire after lowering the ladder from the bridge at Undead Burg, and took a moment to do a roundup of Souls. Now I can focus solely on getting the End, Str and a bit of Dex needed by the muscle wizard build I devised, after which I'm scott free to focus on upgrading whatever phat lewt I've found by that point.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
The dragon killing the hollows on the bridge up there? There are much better ways to get your souls if you just keep on playing, IMO. Also, when I grinded the game on my first playthrough, the game became a bit too easy.. :/

Vaarna_Aarne

The dragon was just part of the whole thing. I also killed most hollows down below in the immediate vicinity before resetting again at the bonfire.

lightbane

Arcane
There are much better grinding spots than this one though. Also, don't forget to listen to this song while you play:

Elwro

Arcane
Bested the Gravelord. Only Seath to go before the Vessel is filled.

That advice on killing the small skellies first with a divine weapon was very useful, thanks! I switched to Queelag's Furysword in front of the Gravelord, he was kinda slow.

I then proceeded to Oolacile and the golems handed my ass to me. That first NPC you meet is pretty trippy ;)

edit: uh, guys, is the only way to get Great Heal to go straight to the church after saving you-know-whom? If I beat Gravelord and only now started looking for the person I saved, I won't be able to buy the miracle?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
This is a wonderful game for anyone who is depressed. This game knows the quiet solace of melancholy. It is eerie how they all become hollow, losing hope. But the world goes on, over and over. A cycle never-ending, like the ending suggests.

It's all so pointless- but then, that was the point, wasn't it?
I think you could really make an argument that the whole game is about depression. It would be a bit vulgar to take apart every aspect of it to show that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it held up on doing so.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Bested the Gravelord. Only Seath to go before the Vessel is filled.

That advice on killing the small skellies first with a divine weapon was very useful, thanks! I switched to Queelag's Furysword in front of the Gravelord, he was kinda slow.

I then proceeded to Oolacile and the golems handed my ass to me. That first NPC you meet is pretty trippy ;)

edit: uh, guys, is the only way to get Great Heal to go straight to the church after saving you-know-whom? If I beat Gravelord and only now started looking for the person I saved, I won't be able to buy the miracle?
Yeah, if she's not at the spot where you fought the big tower shield knight after you saved her, you've waited too long. There's actually a bunch of complicated (albeit not very important) events surrounding her.

Elwro

Arcane
Yeah... well, there is a 'natural' explanation, sure.

I got scared in the crystal cave. I went too close to a butterfly and it attacked me. But I had no ranged option and it wouldn't sit down, so I had no possibility of fighting it. So I ran like hell and jumped on an invisible ledge, the existence of which was apparent thanks to some player's message. Then I went to the cave with the oyster-things. I guess you know what happened... thanks to the fact that I somehow knew beforehand I had to be curse-resistant I again soloed the boss on my 1st try. On one hand I'm :smug:, but on the other hand the endgame boss rapes me a new one any time I get near to him.

So guys, a question: if I want to explore Oolacile, now is the time to do it, right? After the endboss it's back to the beginning again?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Back to the beginning again. Are you enjoying yourself? That final boss really is something special. And I am not talking about the difficulty.

Elwro

Arcane
Well, I am definitely enjoying myself, so I guess I will explore Oolacile. Will that reduce my chances to get a summon for Gwyn?

The boss is truly something, I agree, but unfortunately getting to him takes me a few minutes each time; haven't tried dashing through but since the knights are fast I guess it's not likely to succeed.

I expected him to at least give me a single dialogue line, though ;) The few things I know about him do not make for a coherent, fully fledged picture. Yes, I know I'm the
Undead chosen to succeed him.
But what does this entail? What's the role of this guy? I know something about his deeds from the past (the intro, talks with Solaire (I think), Frampt and so on), but what his current role is I'm not sure.

Kaspar Hauser

Educated
You can only summon people around your level. For Gwyn that should be lvl 80 +/- 10% or so (according to the wiki).

For fighting him:
you can parry his attacks

Tommers

Augur
That's the beauty of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom