Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

You can only summon people around your level. For Gwyn that should be lvl 80 +/- 10% or so (according to the wiki).

For fighting him:
you can parry his attacks

Summoning is level +- (10 + 10%). And honestly at this point levels for players are so across the board that it shouldn't be significantly harder at any specific level, those "guides" are only reasonable accurate for a first game player.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
The few things I know about him do not make for a coherent, fully fledged picture. Yes, I know I'm the
Undead chosen to succeed him.
But what does this entail? What's the role of this guy? I know something about his deeds from the past (the intro, talks with Solaire (I think), Frampt and so on), but what his current role is I'm not sure.

The ambiguity is intentional. Trying to figure out what really happened in the past (and is happening now) is part of the fun, but I don't think you ever have anything definite established in-game. For the story and background generally, if you don't want to get into spoilers, I would recommend reading item and equipment descriptions carefully for clues.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So... that part... which way is the "good" way?

You know... where the choice isn't obvious at first.

Where you can choose to either sacrifice yourself or become the next Dark Lord. The other serpent guy says continuing the Age of Darkness is the rise of humanity. Is he lying or what?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Where you can choose to either sacrifice yourself or become the next Dark Lord. The other serpent guy says continuing the Age of Darkness is the rise of humanity. Is he lying or what?

Who says there IS a good way?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

Who says there IS a good way?

I'm pretty sure that was done on purpose. Make the ending all the more cryptic and enjoyable while also thought provoking.

Sorta like a... rpg?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's a ton of different theories.

One likely one is that it's an unending cycle. The world is barely hanging by a thread, fueled by the "fire" of the Firelord. But like every fire, it has to go out eventually. That's why Frampt, who wants the cycle to continue, sets you up to become the next Firelord. You're going to to be Gwyn. There may have been thousands of them before you and there'll be thousands of them after you. The world remains stagnant.

But to Frampt that is better than the world falling into darkness.

The world is declining, it isn't stagnant. There is no cycle, just a gigantic soul-bonfire that needs some fuel.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I like that there are at least two moments in this game where "you need to equip the ring to do that" is a very good piece of advice.

Elwro

Arcane
Have you figured out what you need the pendant for yet?
Today I found another pendant in the DLC area, a silver one. I guess this is what you were talking about. I haven't found a use for it, but I did read the description so I have some vague ideas on when to use it (and yes, I found out you can actively use it - not just wear it).

I will try to use it when these black magic wielding fuckers attack me again. But I guess timing this thing is not easy so I might just run and hack them.

Nicely hidden, btw. Good sound in that area ;)

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Have you figured out what you need the pendant for yet?
Today I found another pendant in the DLC area, a silver one. I guess this is what you were talking about. I haven't found a use for it, but I did read the description so I have some vague ideas on when to use it (and yes, I found out you can actively use it - not just wear it).

Nicely hidden. Good sound in that area ;)

Whoops! Sorry, I was joking about the starting gift pendant, which the developer implied was pretty important way back at the time of the console release. General consensus now is that he was trolling masterfully.

Elwro

Arcane
Heh :D Nice!

Artorias was one mean opponent. Very fast, not easily dodged, and hitting him usually meant I'd get hit too. Replenishment helped a bit, but I have a feeling the effect of the miracles does not scale with faith -- is that right?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Heh :D Nice!

Artorias was one mean opponent. Very fast, not easily dodged, and hitting him usually meant I'd get hit too. Replenishment helped a bit, but I have a feeling the effect of the miracles does not scale with faith -- is that right?
Depends on the Talisman you're using. The wiki has a handy chart for Talisman/Catalyst scaling. And of course, there's trick ones like Velka's Talisman which scales with Int instead of Faith.

Anyway, progress report:

1) Feeling extremely frustrated with the bosses at times, gotta powerlevel more. Anyway, Blighttown cleared, kinda annoying lag at some camera angles, but much more enjoyable than the early sewer parts with the Butchers due to at least having a lot more room for camera movement.
2) The bosses beaten on Tuesday (no DaS today) were Capra Demon, Hydra, Moonlight Butterfly, Havel, Giant Rat, Gaping Dragon, Queelag and Stray Demon.
3) Fuck Capra Demon and Stray Demon, cheap ass bitches.
4) Goddamn Black Knights aren't dropping their shield, shee-it.
5) SL 58, gotta hit Str 24 next in order to finally get rid of the damn Drake Sword.
6) Current loadout is Elite Knight set, Eagle Shield (multiple alternatives to pick from, used Grass Crest Shield before that), Drake Sword, Sorcerer's Catalyst, 3 x Soul Arrow, Great Soul Arrow.

Vaarna_Aarne

The calculators and character builder on the wiki are also excellent. I'll definately be using the Zweihander forever after once I finish powerleveling my Str some more.

Relevant calculator:

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/weapons

Stats aimed at Str 24, 30 at maximum, Dex 12, Int 44, 50 at maximum. Will leave me plenty of room to level some vitality at long last (this is the offline solo guy, incidentally).

praetor

Arcane
The calculators and character builder on the wiki are also excellent. I'll definately be using the Zweihander forever after once I finish powerleveling my Str some more.

Relevant calculator:

Stats aimed at Str 24, 30 at maximum, Dex 12, Int 44, 50 at maximum. Will leave me plenty of room to level some vitality at long last (this is the offline solo guy, incidentally).

no need to go over 27str with a "quality" (i.e. scales equally with str and dex) weapon like the zwei. and the scaling after 44int isn't worth the points (dragon breath is an okay spell for crowds, but those points are better spent elsewhere). if you plan on using the zwei at minimum stats, consider upgrading it to chaos (or lightning... but i'd recommend the former) cause you'll be doing pitiful damage otherwise. anyhow, with that kind of int, it would be muuuuuuch better to leave str at 16 and dex at 10 for the infamous moonlight greatsword + moonlight horn, 2 top tier weapons loved by many and hated by almost everyone :)

Vaarna_Aarne

Relevant calculator:

no need to go over 27str with a "quality" (i.e. scales equally with str and dex) weapon like the zwei. and the scaling after 44int isn't worth the points (dragon breath is an okay spell for crowds, but those points are better spent elsewhere). if you plan on using the zwei at minimum stats, consider upgrading it to chaos (or lightning... but i'd recommend the former) cause you'll be doing pitiful damage otherwise. anyhow, with that kind of int, it would be muuuuuuch better to leave str at 16 and dex at 10 for the infamous moonlight greatsword + moonlight horn, 2 top tier weapons loved by many and hated by almost everyone :)
Calculator disagrees, Chaos with maximum bonus and Lightning are both inferior to either Magic or Enchanted version in damage even at the stats I currently have.

praetor

Arcane

Relevant calculator:

Calculator disagrees, Chaos with maximum bonus and Lightning are both inferior to either Magic or Enchanted version in damage even at the stats I currently have.

ah, sorry. i forgot they nerfed elementals to oblivion in the last patches. either way, single damage weapons will significantly outperform split damage ones, especially in PvP (where you should avoid crap like enchanted/magic/divine/occult), hence my recommendation of using the moonlight combo since it'll save you some points that are probably better spent elsewhere (especially if you plan on dabbling in pvp) and will be vastly superior to the alternatives in 9 out of 10 cases (i.e. vs anything and anyone that doesn't use (great) magic barrier :P)

Vaarna_Aarne

Relevant calculator:

ah, sorry. i forgot they nerfed elementals to oblivion in the last patches. either way, single damage weapons will significantly outperform split damage ones, especially in PvP (where you should avoid crap like enchanted/magic/divine/occult), hence my recommendation of using the moonlight combo since it'll save you some points that are probably better spent elsewhere (especially if you plan on dabbling in pvp) and will be vastly superior to the alternatives in 9 out of 10 cases (i.e. vs anything and anyone that doesn't use (great) magic barrier :P)
Moonlight has several hundred points lower damage than the magic/enchanted Zweihander would have, and a Regular Zweihander would have much less damage than Moonlight.

And fuck PvP.

Elwro

Arcane
Goddamnit, I missed the Very Large Ember. Thought I'd get some 'normal' weapons to +15 before I fight Gwyn again but I have to go find that ember first.

Got to the Chasm of the Abyss. These sorcerors are infuriating, even with the silver pendant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom