Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Anyways, apparently wearing the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring prevents the invasion message from appearing whenever you invade someone :lol:

oh, man.. Ratbros here i come! so many awesome ways to troll players in this game. can't wait to finish my Predator :D

Being a Ratbro finally has a pay off.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Respecced my Strength guy into a Katana dual wielding guy wearing the Jester clothes and joined the Ratbro covenant. I'm using two Poison Blacksteel Katans as well as a Mytha's Bent Blade. I'm not sure I'd recommend Poison Katanas since they don't swing fast enough to apply poison all too well and by the time they'd apply the enemy would be dead already, but oh man the Mytha's Bent Blade now that is something. I just run up to the enemy and get them in a quick stunlock that will guarantee a poison and that's pretty much it for them then. All they can do is circle around until they die from the poison damage or they can try stop to heal in which case me and my rats will come up and destroy them. Haven't even burnt an Ascetic yet to make the rats even moar stronger.

All hail the Rat King :thumbsup:

DragoFireheart

My mom reviews Dark Souls II

http://venturebeat.com/2014/03/24/my-mom-reviews-dark-souls-ii/

Not posting the whole thing. Here are some gold comments:

I didn’t know there would be this much to it. Did you know that it takes this long to start a game?

No.

What was it like when I was little? You just put the cartridge in, right?

Right. And started playing it.

This is technology now.

It was technology back then.

Yeah, but this technology is better … and it takes longer.

If it’s so much better than why does it take longer?

[We wait for the install again.]

I could have dried and folded a load of clothes already.

[A whirlpool appears, and the person in the video jumps.]

Why did he jump into that.

I don’t know.

What’s the object of this game? To get out of the hole?

Gender?

You can make a girl if you want.

[She sighs again.]

What’s wrong? It’s not going to be naked like that [referring to the preview of our character, who only wears a cloth around a his waist]. You don’t want to be a girl?

No.

You can make yourself muscular.

[She does.]

[My mom picks the life ring.]

Why did you pick the life ring?

I like rings.

No, you’re done I think. What did you think of Dark Souls II, mom.

Well, if you know how to use a controller, then I guess it’s alright. I still like Mario.

What did you like about it best?

That I could kill people with my sword and shield.

What did you like about it the least?

It takes too long for the game to start.

If you have to give the game a score out of 100, what would you give it?

Not a bad review

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Wow, fuck the Shrine of Anime. It's not even that hard, just fucking tedious. Either spend hours rolling forward to avoid homing spells or play the game like a shitty challenge-free FPS where you slowly move forwards shooting things with your bow one-by-one and chugging Estus occasionally. Eventually get killed due to boredom and inattention. Repeat.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I blazed through the Shrine on my second character. It's kinda gay the first time but then it gets real easy. Kinda like the Archers in Anor Londo.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sorry Tribial but to "see the king get the 4 souls" is as straightfoward as it gets in Souls games...for further direction try Skyrim ;)

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Sorry Tribial but to "see the king get the 4 souls" is as straightfoward as it gets in Souls games...for further direction try Skyrim ;)
The point isn't that it's simple. It's how drawn out it is. I've gotten 18 hours on my first character and 15 on another whose gotten farther than my first and neither of them feel like they have gotten anywhere. You could ring one of the bells in DS in a small number of hours but with how much bigger DS2 is that feeling is much more drawn out. I'm having fun at least but I really don't know how close I am to finding even one of them.

ascending those long stairs towards castle drangleic during storm was one of THOSE moments like visiting anor londo for the first time:thumbsup:

you think you have 4 souls so its time to kick Vendricks ass and go home and than suddenly game is like "lol nope you are just half way through XDXDXD good luck noob:troll:"

DragoFireheart

I'm having fun at least but I really don't know how close I am to finding even one of them.

You are having fun but are clueless about the progress, lost in the dark.

Why is this a problem?

ps: Mirror Knight was piss easy, one-shotted him (one attempt).

Kanedias

Savant
I really can't do anything without getting invaded. I'm winning the invasions but still >.>

Iron Keep, I went to the merchant in order to incense some spells (I levelled int and faith to 10 in order to use Resonant Soul and Resonant Flesh) I get two invasions. One while getting to the merchant, the other when I was in the menu.

Shrine of Amana, I go there to farm a couple of twinkling titanite, three invasions in less than 15 minutes.

Lost Bastille, checking Straid, another invasion.

I don't know if invasions are extremely common in NG+ or if my Sin level is just through the roof (70% of my invaders are blues). Anyways, I approve. I just find it weird since I heard people complaining about not being invaded much, but I seem to get invaded constantly.

and the boss of the shrine of anime is a giant frog with like one attack who literally doesn't hit me once. is this a troll level

It has more than 5 attacks. Normal melee, grab, two kinds of water missile attacks, some sort of stomp move, a charge...

Mortmal

Arcane
do i really need a token of fidelity for every fucking single duel in blue sentinels areas?
so to get cracked orbs i need not only win a duel but first put a summoning sign, get summoned, beat a boss hoping that retareded host doesnt get killed in the meantime? fuck that shit. how is that covenant even suposed to work?

i really like the idea of invading sinners but might leave and go to the blood brothers.

on the other hand i just invaded sinner in shrine of ammana, i spawned just before 3rd bonfire, and as host was slowly walking in the water towards bonfire after hard battle with those priestess i two-shotted him with GRS. Feels good man:troll:

You should go to bell covenant for pvp , you cant make one step without being summoned to defend . While blue guardians pvp takes ages, mark of loyalties are too long to get . Now i struggle to not pvp, its sometimes to fast to remove the bell covenant ring when standing on iron keep bridge...

Tripicus

Augur
I don't know. It is kind of odd that I can kill half a dozen bosses and can still feel like I'm wandering around with my head cut off. It just adds to the complaints here of world design cohesiveness being off.

Anyway, picked this up for the PS3 previous weekend. The required soul scaling for soul levels I was a bit surprised by. Killing the Pursuer and being able to get 10 (11?) soul levels was a bit odd.

What are the requirements for being invaded? I'm soul level 47, bumming around Lost Bastille, Cathedral of Blue and No Man's Wharf and I haven't had a single invasion. Do I have to summon someone to start the floodgates or something? Or do I need to invade first? Or are people just not bothered with invading at these levels?

The texture quality of the game is pretty inconsistent. Things have a muddy look about them. Reminds me of Dragon's Dogma. While there were a number of things added to make the game look better., it seems to have lost a graphical sharpness that DeS and DaS had.

In the end though it has so far been fun playing new souls content, and not knowing what's around every corner and how I should be building my character to fit a particular build. Cna't wait for NG+, as the new move sets adds additional PvE incentive to the game.

DragoFireheart

Now i struggle to not pvp, its sometimes to fast to remove the bell covenant ring when standing on iron keep bridge...

Iron Keep Bridge w/ Bell Clanger ring.
Summon Dragon bros.
Summon Red bros.
Get summoned to defend bell.
Never ending PvP.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I'm having fun at least but I really don't know how close I am to finding even one of them.

You are having fun but are clueless about the progress, lost in the dark.

Why is this a problem?

ps: Mirror Knight was piss easy, one-shotted him (one attempt).
I'm having fun because I like fighting in the Souls games. It's not lost in the dark it's just boring. Doing nothing for 18 hours when you know the world design is basically 4 linear paths isn't being lost it's just being drawn out. Nothing is happening at all but a fight every now and then that feels like I just walked into someone's home then got into a brawl. There's no progression at all so far. Oh go fight this undead horde lying around now go fight a fat demon right ahead. Hell half of them don't even need more strategy so far.

Mortmal

Arcane
Now i struggle to not pvp, its sometimes to fast to remove the bell covenant ring when standing on iron keep bridge...

Summon Dragon bros.
Summon Red bros.
Never ending PvP.

Do you know if switching back and forth between covenants will reset your ranks ? I am tempted to maximize everything, just gave up on pilgrim of the dark for now till i get all my gear to max.

DragoFireheart

Summon Dragon bros.
Summon Red bros.
Never ending PvP.

Do you know if switching back and forth between covenants will reset your ranks ? I am tempted to maximize everything, just gave up on pilgrim of the dark for now till i get all my gear to max.

Switching will NOT reset your rank.

I did this with ratbros and the rat king whined. He accepted me back and it was like nothing happened.

Mortmal

Arcane
Thats perfect then , i need to play rat bastard as well and summon people in that horrible room full of traps and mammoths warrirors.

Kanedias

Savant
Also switching to the Brotherhood of Blood in order to get the Red Soapstone and then switching back to your original covenant works, the red soapstone remains functional. It only ceases working if you kill Gren (the leader of the Brotherhood)

--

By the way, I'm pretty disappointed that the megamules are out already. For those who don't know, they're save files that come with basically every item in the game already upgraded, and it's intended for PvP use. I didn't really disapprove of them in Dark Souls 1, since tweaking a couple of stats meant having to redo the whole character, but now that there are ways to respec and such, I think megamules are just cheating. I guess we'll see more of the rarer spells, like WoG. WoG is completely overpowered, it killed me in one hit from 2000 HP to 0. You have to roll dodge it perfectly or it one shots you. Alternatively, you can block it, but you need a shield that blocks a great amount of magic damage, I recommend Magic Drakekeeper's Shield myself, as it only weights 6.0 and has 98% physical block and 87% magic block (and it also blocks status effects really well). Another good option is the Rebel's Greatshield, which is simply excellent at blocking all kinds of magic.

Kanedias

Savant
The King's Mirror seems to only deflect spells when you hit them with the shield bash move.... so yeah, not that useful. I don't even know if it can deflect AoEs like WoG, I only tried it on PvE against soul arrow-type spells.

Spell Parrying in general seems very gimmicky, the spell isn't sent back to the caster, it just goes in a random direction. It always seems better to just roll through the spell, especially in PvP where you have to take lag into account. Between rolling through the spell (or blocking it) and standing still in order to try to parry the spell, there isn't much of a choice, spell parrying seems to be too much of a risk for too little reward.

Mirror knight is not easy at all if he summons another player. buffing him with chanellers trident and healing him with warm was fun last night:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom