Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Jesus christ why do people chug estos during a fight that they wanted to get summoned to? Saw a dragon guy sign at iron keep, summoned him, he just circles or occasionally fails to attack me with a short sword, I get him to 3/4 of his health, estos. Rinse repeat. I can understand people being invaded chugging of their flask, but this? Retarded. Doesn't help that the guy apparently pumped all his stats into vigor so he had lots of hp. I won, but I hope the next dragon guy isnt that idiotic to fight. Starting to feel a bit bored by my character, I have the Alonne Set complete on +9, the tower shield +10 and the flame longsword +10. Is it just that other players dont upgrade their equipment that much? Because I don't consider myself that good of a player, yet I win the majority of matches. Also - that region lock setting in the menu isnt working. I have it activated, but had a guy from australia constantly invading me or me invading him in the tower. I checked his location because his puny dagger had apparently the length of a halberd hitting me all across the room oO Isnt this setting supposed to lock these people out?

Any way, enough for today. Tomorrow I will continue my PvE journey so things dont get stale.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Try 'not wanting to lose' in an Arena fight and you will receive lots of hatemail and Bad ratings to your account

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I'll agree that this game definitely feels alot more aimless than it's predecessors, which isn't helped by the larger map size and can be potentially alienating for alot of people. It does becomes alot more cohesive once you reach Dragonliec castle and the Crystal Herald actually gives you further objectives beyond a vague "Seek the king", though that's probably because by that point there aren't as many areas you have to go through and the progression gets comparatively more linear.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks like you are the one with the need for a fuckbot missy with that hardass wannabe vibe, like one of them tasty youjizz sex machine videos :D
If you are bored by the "lack of variety" go back to playing some good olde popamole shit and you' ll feel right at home
The great thing about these games is there is objectives but no directions, and if you cannot be bothered to read some items like the manequin sets for the lore or talk to the very helpful NPC again go back to Skyrim to get some straightfoward lore and the diversity you crave

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I really liked the lost feeling I had when I played it for the first time. I mean if I'm exploring strange and hostile lands then why should I have enough control to know where I am and how far I've really come? This is basically the Kings Field approach. Wander around aimlessly until you get the end. I like it and think it's cool.

Huh, while the regular bosses were generally good, with scant few "bad" fights, the optional endgame bosses were all over the place in terms of quality.

-Vendrick was lame. He has all of three attacks/combos that he uses and one that I saw all of once...which happened to be completely useless. None of his attacks are all that difficult to dodge, but almost every hit is guaranteed to one shot you. Basically the fight becomes a long, tedious affair of hugging his left buttcheek for 5-10 minutes (depending on how many Souls of a Giant you acquired) in order to force him into a loop from which there is little chance for escape. It's a brawl with a big buildup that falls completely flat.

-Darklurker was decent, if a little too punishing. I tried and tried to fight it melee only, but once it undergoes mitosis all bets are off. Attack stacking abounds, and Dark Souls 2 doesn't grant player characters ample combat aptitude to deal with such. Pretty much was forced to use my pyromancy, which made the second part of the fight relatively unsatisfying. The fight would have been much better if the Darklurker's attack damage was toned down significantly...if I'm wearing armor that's highly dark/magic-resistant and equipping +2 rings in those defense categories, losing ~85% of the health bar (15 Vigor with a Third Dragon Ring) is a little excessive. Less damage means that taking a cheap hit in the second phase might not necessarily result in instant death, allowing players to fight the battle without having the rely on dishing out enormous quantities of damage. Darklurker is a really interesting boss design, shame to see it marred by silly damage amounts.

Really, the entire game, PvE and PvP, could benefit from lowered damage amounts. Longer fights with more room for interactions seem better than DPS/stunlock races.

-Licia "The Nameless Ursuper" of Lindelt was really fun. Pretty much the toughest human opponent you're liable to face. Because she's human you can cheese her with things like chain-BSing or powerful spells on knockdown wakeup...but if you elect not to do such, you can savor a fight with a tough-as-nails Faith-user that brings out all the stops. Good fight with a lot of fun that can be extracted from it.

-Ancient Dragon is fucking awful. I thought the Memory of Jeigh was the worst area in Dark Souls 2, and that was the Bed of Chaos of this game. Nope...Ancient Dragon. Yeah, it's a completely optional fight, but also complete bullshit.

It's an enormous enemy that basically has five attacks. One of the attacks is a stomp with an egregiously bad hitbox. A meter away from the dust cloud created by the stomp (seemingly a shockwave effect)? Too bad, you're taking the hit. The other is a grounded fire breath sweep that is pitifully easy to dodge and punish. Sadly, it only seems to use this when you enter the fog door. The other three branch from when it takes flight. It can either do an enormous AoE fire breath attack that covers a huge portion of arena after it goes through the windup animation. To dodge this, you have to start running towards the tail-end of the dragon as it takes flight and follow through with this animation to safety. It can also take flight and then immediately crash down for massive damage with some more atrocious hitboxes. And a third attack is the same enormous AoE fire breath, but with practically no windup. I suppose this attack is simply there to fuck players over.

Oh, and every single one of these attacks will probably one-shot you. Theoretically, the stomp/crash moves could be blocked, but I seemed to get dead-angled every time thanks to the fabulous hitboxes, with active frames that linger too long to simply roll through. But the fire...oh no, don't think you can simply Flash Sweat, Flame Quartz Ring +1, and wear a bunch of high fire-resist gear...you're getting one-shotted by another attack with godawful hitboxes.

The boss also has an inordinate amount of defense and HP. It seemed impervious to Bleeding or Poison and I could scarcely bring the thing to half health before it decided that it was done toying with me and either activated the swift AoE death breath or activated the regular AoE breath attack in such a position that the only place I could possibly dodge was off a cliff.

Tried to do some co-op with other people, see if they had any idea how to handle this beastie. Nope, 32 times laying down my White Soapstone Sign and nary an experienced hunter. Half died at the onset of the battle, and the rest succumbed to one of the cheap-ass, aerial fire-breaths before we could even take the dragon down to below one-third health.

What a shitty piece of design. Yeah, I'm certain there is some way of easily looping the AI, and that builds that aren't Dex/Pyro might have a better shot at dealing damage, but I can't really see how any fun can be extracted out of this encounter. Absolute shit.

Skipped the last (written about) optional boss and moved on to NG+...which has been great so far. Black Phantoms and new enemy placements are great, as is the increased invasion rate. This is how the game should be. Shame you have to play through an entire cycle and that the player population is split between servers.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I guess one of my other problems with the game is that it loses alot of the pre-apocalyptic vibes that Dark Souls 1 gave. I mean, sure, the game clearly gives the impression that things have gone completely to shit, but Dark Souls 1 to me constantly gave the impression that the world was just barely holding itself together, and that you and the random pockets of survivors you find are just the last lights to go out. Which is emphasized even more as those survivors gradually die out or go hollow. Feels as though Dark Souls 2 borrows alot more of the atmosphere from Demon's Souls than Dark Souls.

-Vendrick was lame. He has all of three attacks/combos that he uses and one that I saw all of once...which happened to be completely useless. None of his attacks are all that difficult to dodge, but almost every hit is guaranteed to one shot you. Basically the fight becomes a long, tedious affair of hugging his left buttcheek for 5-10 minutes (depending on how many Souls of a Giant you acquired) in order to force him into a loop from which there is little chance for escape. It's a brawl with a big buildup that falls completely flat.
The funniest thing is that I completely skipped his fight. I went into his room not even knowing that he was a boss fight and he didn't even acknowledge me, he just kept wandering around the room while I picked up the King's ring from the chest in the middle and just left. I actually had to check the wiki later to confirm that was supposed to be a boss fight.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I miss that vibe as well, but it's interesting - I get the impression that, by Dark Souls 2, the world will be mostly okay whether you succeed or not. The games' respective intros set the tone for them both, I think. Dark Souls 1's story basically gave us the genesis of the world and its first Gotterdammerung. While I don't mind a lower-key sequel, though, I've still yet to really work out why I'm doing anything or what anything has to do with anything else, and I'm in the Undead Crypt.

praetor

Arcane

i'm already cool :) (but i like the mask more with the complete set [finally got everything yesterday, yay!], finally some "proper" samurai-inspired armour :P). btw, you can rank up in the covenant by killing him ;) (he counts as any other bellkeeper kill)

oh, the Drangleic armour + Vengarl Helm = Grunbeld (sort of :))

btw, i think now instead of the Drake sword we have the "drake armour" (drangleic) and "drake shield" (drangleic). about 80-90% of the people i interacted with (mostly coop) wear at least one of those (that shield is everywhere)

Steve

Augur
So I made a dude using Ricard's rapier. The durability in rapiers is a fucking joke, the thing usually breaks on your average run from a bonfire to a boss. It's somewhat tedious to having to carry multiple rapiers with you as repair powders are rare in early game.

What are the requirements for being invaded? I'm soul level 47, bumming around Lost Bastille, Cathedral of Blue and No Man's Wharf and I haven't had a single invasion. Do I have to summon someone to start the floodgates or something? Or do I need to invade first? Or are people just not bothered with invading at these levels?

There just are not that many invasions going on. I guess part of the reason is that bloodbros have to duel each other and win just to get one cracked red eye orb.

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
So I made a dude using Ricard's rapier. The durability in rapiers is a fucking joke, the thing usually breaks on your average run from a bonfire to a boss. It's somewhat tedious to having to carry multiple rapiers with you as repair powders are rare in early game.

durability (among everything else) is a joke for pretty much all dex weapons. it's as if they're made of glass. that's why i always co-op before a boss.

btw, has anybody figured out why sometimes after a successful co-op you get your humanity, and sometimes you don't? so far, early bosses (giant, pursuer, dragonrider, flexile, sentinels) all gave me my humanity back almost every time, while later bosses didn't despite multiple sessions (covetous, mytha, smelter, skellie lords) or were random (quelaag najka)

Last edited:

Steve

Augur
btw, has anybody figured out why sometimes after a successful co-op you get your humanity, and sometimes you don't? so far, early bosses (giant, pursuer, dragonrider, flexile, sentinels) all gave me my humanity back on almost every time, while later bosses gave didn't despite multiple sessions (covetous, mytha, smelter, skellie lords) or were random (quelaag najka)

FROM confirmed it to be a glitch. You're not supposed to get your humanity back.

praetor

Arcane
black knight halberd has an AR of almost 500 unupgraded @30dex?! is that as beastly as it sounds? is it once again the supreme PvE weapon?

Kanedias how are the Skellie Lords in NG+? was thinking of asceticing that area to get the best cast speed ring. and i remember reading rumours about the Lost Sinner asceticized doesn't spawn the pyros like in NG+? how tough is she in NG+ anyway? i want that chaos blade :)

EDIT: Ironclad chest piece prevents backstabs

:troll:
(with the jester chest you can still get backstabbed and riposted, you just don't take the extra critical damage... or so i've heard... i wonder how it works vs the "random crit damage gauntlets" (in Tseldora?))

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Jesus christ why do people chug estos during a fight that they wanted to get summoned to? Saw a dragon guy sign at iron keep, summoned him, he just circles or occasionally fails to attack me with a short sword, I get him to 3/4 of his health, estos. Rinse repeat. I can understand people being invaded chugging of their flask, but this? Retarded. Doesn't help that the guy apparently pumped all his stats into vigor so he had lots of hp. I won, but I hope the next dragon guy isnt that idiotic to fight. Starting to feel a bit bored by my character, I have the Alonne Set complete on +9, the tower shield +10 and the flame longsword +10. Is it just that other players dont upgrade their equipment that much? Because I don't consider myself that good of a player, yet I win the majority of matches. Also - that region lock setting in the menu isnt working. I have it activated, but had a guy from australia constantly invading me or me invading him in the tower. I checked his location because his puny dagger had apparently the length of a halberd hitting me all across the room oO Isnt this setting supposed to lock these people out?

Any way, enough for today. Tomorrow I will continue my PvE journey so things dont get stale.

If they don't bow they're probably a scrub.

btw, i think now instead of the Drake sword we have the "drake armour" (drangleic) and "drake shield" (drangleic). about 80-90% of the people i interacted with (mostly coop) wear at least one of those (that shield is everywhere)

Fire Longsword is Drake Sword / Crescent Falchion.

The Drangleic gear is Drake gear I suppose. I used that used for almost half of the game since I ended up doing Iron Keep last.

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
Started a deprived class or whatever it's called. I wanted to do mage/cleric. It's pretty fun. I killed the hippo thing by punching it for about 30 mins then ran around picking up stuff. got a dagger, farmed the first area and killed that knight for his sword.

yes you can collect it in ng+. you can get morning star/fire longsword/heides sword/shortsword/dagger in first hour of game

praetor

Arcane
Fire Longsword is Drake Sword / Crescent Falchion.

nah. unless something is particularly vulnerable to fire or you have a pretty high Fire bonus, a regular longsword will outdamage it 9 times out of 10 (look at ENB's 1st or 2nd video in the forest for direct, solid proof). heide sword is similar. the closest to a drake sword you can find is the halberd but it requires a bit of skill to use

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Well, I just beat Drangleic Castle and I'm thinking about restarting. Magic and Hexes are fun and all but it's pretty unmanly.

Thinking about restarting as a Warrior and doing a Str/Dex build. What do you think: should I stop being a pussy with magic?

Kanedias

Savant
black knight halberd has an AR of almost 500 unupgraded @30dex?! is that as beastly as it sounds? is it once again the supreme PvE weapon?

Kanedias how are the Skellie Lords in NG+? was thinking of asceticing that area to get the best cast speed ring. and i remember reading rumours about the Lost Sinner asceticized doesn't spawn the pyros like in NG+? how tough is she in NG+ anyway? i want that chaos blade :)

EDIT: Ironclad chest piece prevents backstabs

:troll:
(with the jester chest you can still get backstabbed and riposted, you just don't take the extra critical damage... or so i've heard... i wonder how it works vs the "random crit damage gauntlets" (in Tseldora?))

Skeleton Lords are still easy. The area before them, however... heh. There's a really nasty ambush around there.

Lost Sinner is incredibly tough in NG+. Enough that I couldn't beat her with my STR/DEX build, and I had to summon a friend (I beat every other boss solo). She's doable if you're really, really good, or if you have a very large damage output, but the fight is so tricky. The boss itself isn't that hard to dodge, but you cannot block her effectively anymore, and dealing with the pyros at the same time as the boss is difficult. I guess it'd be much easier if you had some powerful spells to kill the pyros really fast whenever they spawn.

Not all bosses get such an upgrade in NG+, sadly. It's mostly the areas before them. It's funny, because I found Smelter Demon NG+ to be easier than the Flexile Sentry. Flexile gets such a ridiculous difficulty boost, going from one of the easiest bosses in the game to one of the hardest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom