Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actualy there is a cue; the mimic boxes have a lock in the front.
Plus you can always take one whack at them to check if it is good or not
I had forgotten about the lighting tossing fool you mentioned, but then again it is pretty easy sprinting up the stairs to kill him and then sniping his buddies from the plataform too :D

praetor

Arcane
I had forgotten about the lighting tossing fool you mentioned, but then again it is pretty easy sprinting up the stairs to kill him and then sniping his buddies from the plataform too :D

ohmygod thank you. i swear i was looking at those 2 chests one next to the other in dragon shrine for like 10-15minutes trying to figure out a difference. don't know how i missed it :D (last time i whacked i chest (by mistake), i destroyed it in one hit... flame longsword +4 at no man's wharf)

yeah, sniping them (<3 poison arrows, as usual) is always easy, but also boring. another one: the fucking acid kamikazes in Aerie. fuck you, From. just fuck you. yeah, i just run around naked/ringless there now, but it's just cheap... and then pretty much the first-second time you ascetic/ng+(+) you can't one-shot them anymore (with a fast enough weapon... i couldn't with my kumo or drakewing)... and considering how insane ugprade material costs are for twinkling/dragon bones weapons are, you pretty much need to farm there with ascetics because of the limited fucking spawns thing. goddamn has farming become so boring and tedious. btw, does the tittie chick sell unlimited twinklies at some point in NG+? if not, i really hope they patch it in. it's unwholesomely tedious

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Kamikaze zambambos have probably the biggest dodge window in the game, and even trivial magic like Dark Orbs can take them out (two shots with +10 Dark Black Witch's Staff, Abyss Seal and Int/Faith 26/26). Or a +10 Greatsword combo. Those guys only need to be either shot at range, or just rolled and then killed when they're in their very long recovery period.

Aerie is both super-easy with Ascetic farming, but also unbelievably profitable. With Serpent Ring +1, you get +150k Souls by NG+7 level each run, half the Twinkies and Dragon Boners you need to fully upgrade a weapon, more enchantment stones than you could shake a stick at, etc.

The real main problem you face in Aerie farming is being able to one-shot or otherwise reliably kill Crystal Lizards. Me, I could one-shot them with Great Resonant Soul while using Abyss Seal (much easier than needing to combo with the Greatsword).

Hobo Elf

Arcane

ohmygod thank you. i swear i was looking at those 2 chests one next to the other in dragon shrine for like 10-15minutes trying to figure out a difference. don't know how i missed it :D (last time i whacked i chest (by mistake), i destroyed it in one hit... flame longsword +4 at no man's wharf)

yeah, sniping them (<3 poison arrows, as usual) is always easy, but also boring. another one: the fucking acid kamikazes in Aerie. fuck you, From. just fuck you. yeah, i just run around naked/ringless there now, but it's just cheap... and then pretty much the first-second time you ascetic/ng+(+) you can't one-shot them anymore (with a fast enough weapon... i couldn't with my kumo or drakewing)... and considering how insane ugprade material costs are for twinkling/dragon bones weapons are, you pretty much need to farm there with ascetics because of the limited fucking spawns thing. goddamn has farming become so boring and tedious. btw, does the tittie chick sell unlimited twinklies at some point in NG+? if not, i really hope they patch it in. it's unwholesomely tedious

Have hope. FROM patched in the buyable twinkling titanites in DaS so the same happening here is not impossible.

praetor

Arcane
hope is the only thing left. way too much shit in this game is so beyond stupid that it prevents me from saying it's a worthy successor... and pretty much all of it could be quite easily patched/rebalanced. like, why not give the ability to level up at the bonfires once you acquire the aged feather (and say make the emerald bitch not drop it on death until NG+)? i can almost understand why they did it this way, as misguided and retarded as it is at least there's a reason, but it's beyond stupid for late game and NG+ cycles and the logic/menu/interface to level up at BF was in the beta, so putting it back in would be a minimal hassle. stuff like that irritates me more than it should, because there's way too much of "stuff like that"

anyway:

joystiq said:
Dark Souls 2 could have DLC after all, depending on fan feedback

It seems that, like the game's undead protagonist, the idea of Dark Souls 2 DLC cannot die. Or at least, if it does, it will simply rise anew. Dark Souls 2 Producer Takeshi Miyazoe statedback in December that he and his team did not expect there to be DLC for Dark Souls 2, but that position seems to have been reconsidered according to a recent interview with Official Xbox Magazine.

"Right now we are concentrating on completing what we've got, but I think there are next steps on how we can expand on Dark Souls 2," Miyazoe said. Whether or not such steps would be taken, Miyazoe noted, would depend on fan feedback. "I'm not really ready to say look forward to more information, but I think the potential is definitely there."
source

praetor

Arcane

so? she gives it to you at dragon shrine, you don't need to kill her for it. i only meant it as a drop (and that was more to meet the moron directors halfway... if it was up to me i'd let players kill her the moment you get to majula and let you level up at bonfires from the get go. she's useless in every single way. you get more "lore" from the damned feather than her boring repeated lines)

Don't see the complaining about the lighting guy. I was wondering what the hell was with him because he did pretty much 0 damage to me IF he managed to hit. There isn't anyway to get his spell is there?

no, there isn't. yeah, it did shit damage (at a distance, up close it took about a 25-30% of my 23Vig + 3rd dragon ring), but it goes through every wall and is annoying as fuck with that knockback and pretty huge AoE (you're invulnerable to damage while you're on the ground, but when you get up there's like half a second when you can't roll (or raise a shield) and you can be damaged... that's why the hammer drakekeeper is such a bullshit enemy. his 2nd attack hits you pretty much in exactly that split second when you're powerless)

deuxhero

Arcane
You don't see a problem with an assassination mission you can't complete by assassination?

You get it really soon after him, yeah, but the staff is actually before him.

Kanedias

Savant
That thing about one hit kills and multi enemy ambushes was prevalent in Demon's Souls too. In fact, there were way more one hit kills in DeS than in this game. I personally hate them (especially in Demon's Souls, where they're there to add some sort of danger to extremely easy bosses like Adjudicator) but I do like the multi enemy ambushes. I always liked 1-3 for this very reason, there were many times where you fight a lot of soldiers at once, and this game made me remember that kind of thing. I don't consider these fights cheap, plus there are always ways to separate them if you're patient.

As for farming, it used to be worse in Dark Souls 1, where you had to farm those ellusive Titanite Slabs from the Darkwraiths (which dropped them once in a blue moon) and before they patched it you had to farm the clams for Twinkling Titanite (it wasn't sold anywhere). Titanite Slabs in Dark Souls were rarer than any material in this game by far, if you wanted to upgrade a lot of weapons for PvP it was horrible. Anyways I personally hate having to grind, and I think the 15 (!) Twinkling Titanite or Petrified Dragon Bone that weapons need is excessive. This is made worse by the fact that you need to farm the Crystal Lizards in the Dragon Aerie, and depending on your setup this can be really irritating. I did most of the game with a Drangleic Sword and then a Claymore, and these weapons are basically unable to hit a Crystal Lizard, especially the Claymore. I believe the only Claymore attack capable of hitting a lizard while locked on is the 2h roll attack. They have the smallest hitbox in all the Souls series, I think even the DeS lizards had bigger hitboxes. I hate Crystal Lizards.

praetor

Arcane
i honestly don't remember (not saying there was't, just that i don't remember :)) being one-shotted in DeS (side note: i prefer DaS2 to DeS, but the margin has gotten smaller and it keeps shrinking) by anything (and Vit was nowhere near my primary stat :P). it's been a long time, but i clearly remember surviving at least one hit from the Adjudicator every time (full health in soul form + cling ring) and 4-1 is the first area i tackle after 1-1 95% of the time. i just don't like bosses that one-shot you (or near enough) accompanied by smaller enemies that stagger and 2-3 shot you (like Freja), or bosses that outright one-shot you with every attack while being enormous HP sponges themselves (like Vendick or "Ancient" "Dragon") and think that's really lazy and cheap design.

as for farming, yeah, slabs (of all kinds) were way too rare (nothing like the Trident or pure bladestone in DeS... or so far the Lizard staff or other shit i forget in DaS2) but most of your equipment was more than fine even at +14 (half the shields didn't even have a bump in stability going from 14 to 15). in DaS2 it's way way worse... the problem isn't the rarity (yeah, slabs drop like candies, but there are other items that are just as rare), it's how all the stupid mechanics in DaS2 work together. the enemies stop fucking respawning. solution? ascetic. so farming suddenly got way, waaay less efficient. and then you also have to farm for ascetics. so you have to farm while you farm so that you can farm while you farm. if you make shit drop from limited spawns, having drop rates so low is more than stupid (i got less than 20 twinklies from exterminating the whole of the Shrine of lazy encounter design). go beyond retardation. and then the stupid hitboxes (yes, i abhor those CL. they can survive a friggin drakewing 1HR2. let's form a club). and then, as mentioned, the the 15 (yes it's 15 fucking twinklies/boners) materials for +5 weapons is way, waaaaay too excessive. it was much, much, much easier/faster (not to mention more fun) to have a couple of full armour sets at +5/+9, with a dozen or two weapons/shields at +5/14/15 in DaS1 (farming the phalanx yielded more than 8K souls per minute, so that's more than 1 twinklie per minute. and the dickwraiths dropped chunks like candies... or you had the black knights at the kiln who dropped them 100%)

You don't see a problem with an assassination mission you can't complete by assassination?

fine, make her drop it on death as soon as you enter Aldia's (again, i'd be happier if the thing allowed level up at bonfires and she dropped it from the start. i just want her to stay still and shut the fuck up and let me level up in peace)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I don't mind the changes to movement speed, but bare with me, they are bullshit in the context of the rest of the game. It's pretty obvious how they made it just to be blatantly unfair compared to how the enemies can move in this game. Every enemy in DaS2, even the giant hulking monsters in towering armor and weaponry, can suddenly gain cat-like agility and speed just like that, doing surreal acrobatics, footwork and swordplay.

git gud

DragoFireheart

take this 4chan / gayfags shit out of here.

Let me rephrase that:

Work on your timing with your rolls. Make sure you have at least 20 Adaptability. Get 38 at some point. When you want to attempt backstabs, RUN, not slowly circle strafe, behind the enemy. Bows are your friend for pulling enemies and if you don't want to use a bow (lol Shrine of Amana) at least buy some throwing daggers as they are much more useful in this game. Use guard breaks. Make sure you use a small shield / target shield / parrying dagger for parries as medium shields don't cut it anymore. If you fee like enemies are not quite dying fast enough, invest in some weapons to dual wield. Clubs and Scimitars are best choice for PvE. Don't get greedy with your stamina and don't overuse blocking.

So, get fucking good and quit your god damn complaining.

praetor

Arcane
scimitars best choice for PvE? you're definitely playing a different game than i have. curved swords are garbage for PvE (and not much better for PvP). shit hitbox, shit range, shit damage, not faster than greatswords, shit damage time (slash), shit durability, mostly shit moveset

DragoFireheart

scimitars best choice for PvE? you're definitely playing a different game than i have. curved swords are garbage for PvE (and not much better for PvP). shit hitbox, shit range, shit damage, not faster than greatswords, shit damage time (slash), shit durability, mostly shit moveset

Dual-wield them and/or Scimitar right hand and something harder hitting and compatible left hand. But yes, Strike weapons are better in general.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Regarding Agility, it is *extremely* important. If you aren't going to use magic, you need to treat it as your Attunement. The difference between invulnerability windows going from base Agility to 100+ is immense when you actually try it.

Also, for Curved Swords the king seems to be Ancient Dragon Curved Greatsword (rolls off the tongue doesn't it?), it can outdamage a Greatsword (and its R1 is a lot faster).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
take this 4chan / gayfags shit out of here.

Let me rephrase that:

Work on your timing with your rolls. Make sure you have at least 20 Adaptability. Get 38 at some point. When you want to attempt backstabs, RUN, not slowly circle strafe, behind the enemy. Bows are your friend for pulling enemies and if you don't want to use a bow (lol Shrine of Amana) at least buy some throwing daggers as they are much more useful in this game. Use guard breaks. Make sure you use a small shield / target shield / parrying dagger for parries as medium shields don't cut it anymore. If you fee like enemies are not quite dying fast enough, invest in some weapons to dual wield. Clubs and Scimitars are best choice for PvE. Don't get greedy with your stamina and don't overuse blocking.
So, get fucking good and quit your god damn complaining.

Thanks for all the tips. After more than 120 hours of DaS2 I'm sure I didn't pick up anything useful and never got good at a game that I've been playing nearly every day for the past 5 years now. :roll:
You completely missed the point of my whole argument and instead opted for the knee-jerk reaction that all the plebs like to parrot. I'm not going to even bother explaining it to you in layman terms since you already proved what an immense tool you are.

DragoFireheart

Thanks for all the tips. After more than 120 hours of DaS2 I'm sure I didn't pick up anything useful and never got good at a game that I've been playing nearly every day for the past 5 years now. :roll:
You completely missed the point of my whole argument and instead opted for the knee-jerk reaction that all the plebs like to parrot. I'm not going to even bother explaining it to you in layman terms since you already proved what an immense tool you are.

You're right that I did miss the point because you didn't make a valid point. The enemies are not so Sonic the Hedgehog agile that it was bullshit. You're making a non-issue where one does not exist.

Every enemy in DaS2, even the giant hulking monsters in towering armor and weaponry, can suddenly gain cat-like agility and speed just like that, doing surreal acrobatics, footwork and swordplay.

Enemies were much more agile in iDeS. Then again, they are a bit quicker than Dk1 so being more challenged can be rough at first.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You're right that I did miss the point because you didn't make a valid point. The enemies are not so Sonic the Hedgehog agile that it was bullshit. You're making a non-issue where one does not exist.

I never said it was bullshit in the sense that it's not possible to deal with it, I'm just saying that it's a lazy way to slightly inflate difficulty. Cut down a bit on the players speed, slightly increase the enemies speed, done! Try applying the speed and agility of Demon's Souls or even Dark Souls to DaS2 and just see how utterly trivial most of the game becomes. Instead of coming up with new ingenious traps and different enemy types they decided to do cuts on player performance (the shield changes are justifiable since it was too powerful) as well as throwing even more monsters at you at the same time.
Look, these aren't completely earth shattering changes that break the whole game and make it into some completely bullshit unfair game that you seem to think I think about this game, but it does show worrying signs of fatigue on the developers part. Maybe they thought that changing the director would breathe in more fresh air into the series, but that doesn't seem to be the case to me. It just seems even more tired to me.

Keep in mind that DaS2 is my favorite Souls game to date, although maybe that isn't a fair thing to say. I like them all equally but in different ways?

Enemies were much more agile in iDeS. Then again, they are a bit quicker than Dk1 so being more challenged can be rough at first.

Some enemies, like the humanoid ones, were somewhat agile in DeS, but they were mostly kind of retarded. It wasn't unusual for them to take swings at you from a distance that won't even connect you. I think the skeletons were the most agile enemies, but their downfall was their predictability.

DragoFireheart

I never said it was bullshit in the sense that it's not possible to deal with it, I'm just saying that it's a lazy way to slightly inflate difficulty. Cut down a bit on the players speed, slightly increase the enemies speed, done! Try applying the speed and agility of Demon's Souls or even Dark Souls to DaS2 and just see how utterly trivial most of the game becomes. Instead of coming up with new ingenious traps and different enemy types they decided to do cuts on player performance (the shield changes are justifiable since it was too powerful) as well as throwing even more monsters at you at the same time.
Look, these aren't completely earth shattering changes that break the whole game and make it into some completely bullshit unfair game that you seem to think I think about this game, but it does show worrying signs of fatigue on the developers part. Maybe they thought that changing the director would breathe in more fresh air into the series, but that doesn't seem to be the case to me. It just seems even more tired to me.

Keep in mind that DaS2 is my favorite Souls game to date, although maybe that isn't a fair thing to say. I like them all equally but in different ways?

Would you rather they did HP bloat? I just don't agree with you.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So you are saying that the only other choice is another Evil? What about creativity? What happened to that? They really are limiting their options when most of their enemies are just varieties of humanoids. I just rewatched Berserk this weekend and the demons during the Eclipse are so delicious, I really wish they'd take more inspiration from that.

DragoFireheart

So you are saying that the only other choice is another Evil? What about creativity? What happened to that? They really are limiting their options when most of their enemies are just varieties of humanoids. I just rewatched Berserk this weekend and the demons during the Eclipse are so delicious, I really wish they'd take more inspiration from that.

I just disagree with you. Even with the "humanoids" I see quite a lot of variety in their AI.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Is that a joke? They all just blindly home at you and you can just as easily circle strafe around them as you always could. Only it's a little bit harder now since they come at you in larger numbers, the same stupid patterns are still here.

The only time it got a little bit interesting was against black phantoms and those dragon guys in the Shrine. Otherwise it was the same old dumb shit.

DragoFireheart

Is that a joke? They all just blindly home at you and you can just as easily circle strafe around them as you always could. Only it's a little bit harder now since they come at you in larger numbers, the same stupid patterns are still here.

So you want better AI then.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Would be a good start. I kinda mentioned it a few pages back already that I'd like improved AI. Instead of being lazy with HP bloat and cutting corners make the AI actually work and not all act like zombies. Making the environment work more against the player would be pretty cool, too. No area in DaS2 made me feel suffocated like 5-2 or Tomb of the Giants without the Light spell or maggot hat.

But not just that either. More enemy types than just humanoids. I don't want to be able to beat everything just by circle strafing behind them. Flexile Sentry was easy but at least conceptually interesting. It was a good idea. Need more good ideas and less heavily armored knights with great shields.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom