Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Alonebadman

Educated
Swordsman isn't bad first time through but for people new to the series? Hah, no. Enjoy getting murdered over and over. Best build usually is knight or warrior for that ease into melee. Especially knight given the higher adp and health.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
H4ya.jpg

wow, this is unexpected

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
H4ya.jpg

wow, this is unexpected

GAME...IS...BROKEN ====> White screen of death upon launch ====> I tried all 7 community workarounds ====> Spent 10+ hours trying to fix ====> Several topics with over 200 replies on the matter scattered over the internet ====> GAME...IS...BROKEN. Stop the lazy money grabbing console ports please.

AND this is why I avoid Steam/PC.

From is starting to put Bethesda and Obsidian to shame as the most buggy devs.

DragoFireheart

The fact that none of the critics made note of this is pretty damning. But then the Codex already knew this.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
You gotta love the obvious damage control types on the user reviews:

"People who rated this game negative don't know anything about souls games and should have just un-install the game. This game is just simply not for you guys.."

aris

Arcane
Fuck, any tip on making the jump for the pharros stone at the beginning of huntsman copse? I can hit the pillar just fine, but then he automatically continues to roll off the pillar, so that it's just out of reach.

You can fall through the bridge that leads to the Executioner arena, on top of the big pillar, then you can roll, fall or jump to the pharros stone.
Yep, discovered that a little earlier today :) Thanks! Actually you can drop off directly onto the pillar from the side of the bride. Which is what I did.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Obviously getting the game to work was intentionally part of the challenge.

I don't know if I got lucky but the game worked right off the bat for me. As soon as it finished downloading it booted right up and with not a single crash. And I pre-loaded mine, only thing that irks me is that I didn't get the pre-order DLC items even though I did pre-purchase the game through cdp.pl...

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I think Japanese developers and publishers have trouble understanding that some people like hooking up their PCs to TVs, and don't really check this kind of use case in QA. It was the same thing with Metal Gear Rising, also technically a good port, but had all sorts of TV related problems at launch.

Talking from personal experience as well, game doesn't want to start on my TV, but plays perfectly on a monitor. Funnily enough, if I hook up a laptop to the TV and stream the game from my desktop, it works fine as well.

Oh my god I'm so fucking terrible at this. I thought having over 250 hours in DS1 would make me at least somewhat good at the sequel, but no, few bonfires in and my max HP is down to half. Can't quite get used to how combat feels yet. Also can't parry for shit, I was pretty good at it in DS1. Fuck you FROM for making me experience all the rage all over again!

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Oh my god I'm so fucking terrible at this. I thought having over 250 hours in DS1 would make me at least somewhat good at the sequel, but no, few bonfires in and my max HP is down to half. Can't quite get used to how combat feels yet. Also can't parry for shit, I was pretty good at it in DS1. Fuck you FROM for making me experience all the rage all over again!
Ring of Binding at Cathedral of Blue bro, you'll need it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Parrying seems off for me too. In DaS1 I went with Iron Round Shield or other medium shields for the parry, but in DaS2 I just can't nail parry right and rather stuck to Greatshields (with Defender's Shield being a backup if I suddenly find Zen enlightenment into parrying or something). Don't know if they've done something to it, but certainly feels like there's something different to it.

aris

Arcane
I got the black night halberd!

hahahahaha HAHAHAHAHA MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Medium Shields have greatly reduced parry windows versus DkS1. This change is somewhat welcome, as it makes for more variety in shield use rather than the SKS/BKS/Crest shield situation in the first game. Now Small Shields have some advantage advantage over Medium Shields to compensate for their decreased damage reduction and stability.

Curved Swords and Parrying Daggers, held in the off-hand, have pretty forgiving parry windows, in my experience. They're a little strange, but after one becomes accustomed to the "feel", parrying is a lot easier.

Also, Adaptability is your friend in ease of dodging. At around 95 Agility, the sub-stat Adaptability feeds into, more invincibility frames start being added to dodges and backsteps. Community guesswork places the next breakpoints for i-frame additions at 100, 110, and 115. For most builds that don't gouge Attunement (which feeds Agility at a much slower rate than Adaptability), that translates to ~20/26/38 Adaptability. Please note, these numbers are pretty rough and could be off, but the general gist of it is that investing in Adaptability is the key to getting closer to DkS1-style rolls (with really useful backsteps as a bonus).

Vaarna_Aarne

Even just the jump from 90 to 105 is a huge difference based on the first analysis on Agility and i-frames, haven't checked progress after that. Point still stands tho, Agility is king.

Game runs flawless.

Also: Pursuer with parry-stun block and ballista gotta be the quickest and easiest bossfight ever.

Not as quick as Dragonrider - walk in, wait for stab attack, run around to the edge, dude falls in water. Upgraded pyro/great resonant soul makes most boss fights <30 sec (at least on NG).

Vaarna_Aarne

Game runs flawless.

Also: Pursuer with parry-stun block and ballista gotta be the quickest and easiest bossfight ever.

Not as quick as Dragonrider - walk in, wait for stab attack, run around to the edge, dude falls in water. Upgraded pyro/great resonant soul makes most boss fights <30 sec (at least on NG).
Hah, never tried dropping the Dragonrider down to water. Just assumed he'd simply not fall over the ledge.

Alonebadman

Educated
Parrying seems off for me too. In DaS1 I went with Iron Round Shield or other medium shields for the parry, but in DaS2 I just can't nail parry right and rather stuck to Greatshields (with Defender's Shield being a backup if I suddenly find Zen enlightenment into parrying or something). Don't know if they've done something to it, but certainly feels like there's something different to it.

I've noticed with the meds/smalls there is a definite difference in parrying. I use the Syan Knights in the Castle to test parry speeds and there's a definite difference. It feels like Demon's speed. The game just doesn't have that weight behind weapons that Dark did. I mean ok, some weapons do but GS? Man, you can swing some of those faster than regular swords which is hilarious. It's not necessarily a bad thing either. I still prefer Demon's fluid combat to Darks weight.

DragoFireheart

You gotta love the obvious damage control types on the user reviews:

"People who rated this game negative don't know anything about souls games and should have just un-install the game. This game is just simply not for you guys.."

I never realized that the Souls game challenge started before I even installed it! Truly these gamers are scholars of philosophy and deep meaning! :hearnoevil:

I've noticed with the meds/smalls there is a definite difference in parrying. I use the Syan Knights in the Castle to test parry speeds and there's a definite difference. It feels like Demon's speed. The game just doesn't have that weight behind weapons that Dark did. I mean ok, some weapons do but GS? Man, you can swing some of those faster than regular swords which is hilarious. It's not necessarily a bad thing either. I still prefer Demon's fluid combat to Darks weight.

What's the best parry weapon? Parry Dagger? Target Shield?

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea it definately feels more like that in PvE a weapon's stagger capacity isn't as relevant now. A lot more bad guys seem immune to stagger this time around, but that might just be me.

Alonebadman

Educated
Then again, if you're playing a strength build, guard break is your friend. Newbs never understand holding your shield up does nothing against my sunlight sword or Mastodan. Parrying I would say is more reserved for dex but then again why would you want to when you're a grizzled paladin or blood-thirsty warrior?

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Swordsman isn't bad first time through but for people new to the series? Hah, no. Enjoy getting murdered over and over. Best build usually is knight or warrior for that ease into melee. Especially knight given the higher adp and health.

Well, I am not new to the series but I am getting killed over and over and over as the Swordsman. Going to try something else as this build is a pain.

Alonebadman

Educated

Well, I am not new to the series but I am getting killed over and over and over as the Swordsman. Going to try something else as this build is a pain.

Warrior or Knight like I said, it makes the early areas bearable if you're having trouble first true playthrough. I'd do strength build, weapons have better durability. Dex is a handicap when it comes to some weapons. Sorcerer still is easy mode but has some of the problems of Swordsman on having to rely on dodging more than blocking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom