Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Murk

Arcane
Oh. That explains why I'm getting like 200K plus from people who do 600 damage per hit, and only 50k from dragondudes who do like 200-300 damage per hit. Huh.

Murk

Arcane
Oh, nice. Most of my pvp is in bellfry luna (I too am still leveling, just got to 19 lowest stat... yeah, mundane is OP).

That explains the higher % soul rewards then, as some people here give me shit like 300k+ (my SM is 18M).

abija

Prophet
Out of curiosity used 20 blue orbs in heide. Results:
- 1 1v1 fight (super lag, guy doesn't move for 10s or so quite far away from me, I shoot a spell at him, then he instantly backstabs me then he falls from the map, wierdest shit ever)
- 6 guys who leave area before I can even load properly
- 13 gank squads

Fun stuff...
Out of the 13, only one squad I encountered twice. 4 or 5 times when I tried to run them around a bit I got some super wierd backstabs (I run after a corner, cast greater heal, then I'm teleported 2 rooms behind and eat a backstab).

Last edited:
Thankfully I got my rank 3 weeks after release so not many people were high level gankers. Plus I was cheesing through them with invisible avelyns so even ganks were turned around sometimes.

Also if they leave before you fully spawn you still get to keep the orb. If you spawn and can move around and THEN they leave - the orb is lost.

Murk

Arcane
potentially unused parts of the game (alternate entrance to undead purgatory) http://illusorywall.tumblr.com/

EDIT: hahah while dicking around with the glitch, I got invaded and the guy chased after me to fall to his death. wtfff

Last edited:
This is it - the next thing to nerf is invisible double buffed dark mastodon halberd / mundane helix halberd powerstance. Combine that with the murderclown set (gyrm greathelm, jester chest, havel gauntlets/legs) and you've got the new meta. Some guy just parried this combo with a murakumo and took less than half of my HP with a riposte. I felt so bad - he's got mad skillz and I've got 1.2k damage per hit.

Murk

Arcane
Hahaha, wtf

Why the gyrm greathelm? some bonus to it? Or just to look like a goober?

I tried to skywalk cheese the ancient dragon but as soon as he awoke I fell to my death; ended up just killing him the normal way (by tickling his toes)

It has the highest poise/defense in the game. A true tryhard goes for the best. People thought that it was the butthole helmet for a while but it's been gyrm greathelm since last patch.

praetor

Arcane
apparently the japs are switching from Syan's to Helix (powerstanced)

anyway, there's definitely something wrong with twinblades: finally acquired and upgraded the curved twinblade on my mostly dex char who has 16min stat so he's ok with some mundane gear, decided to farm dragon shrine for the black dragon sword (anybody wanna trade? :P). first, funnily enough, the curved twinblade has a higher AR when infused mundane @16stat than regular @40dex (A dex scaling iirc), that's how stupid Dex scaling is. second, the mundane twinblade has a pure physical AR of 266, while santier's is 296 (with RoB+2) and santier's murders the drakekeepers in pretty much one full 2H combo, while the twinblade barely scratches them (iirc it takes something like 4 full 2H combos to kill one). and i remember reading someone else did a similar test with the stone twinblade @40Str that had something like a 30-50 higher AR than a raw SS, and the SS still consistently outdamaged the stone twinblade. they all deal "slash" damage so it shouldn't be that. the only thing that makes sense is that either twinblades are bugged or perhaps SS enjoys some kind of hidden halberd weapon type modifier

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
It has the highest poise/defense in the game. A true tryhard goes for the best. People thought that it was the butthole helmet for a while but it's been gyrm greathelm since last patch.

What's the most tryhard setup? Gyrm Greathelm, Havels, Ruler Greatsword, Cathias Chime?

apparently the japs are switching from Syan's to Helix (powerstanced)

anyway, there's definitely something wrong with twinblades: finally acquired and upgraded the curved twinblade on my mostly dex char who has 16min stat so he's ok with some mundane gear, decided to farm dragon shrine for the black dragon sword (anybody wanna trade? :P). first, funnily enough, the curved twinblade has a higher AR when infused mundane @16stat than regular @40dex (A dex scaling iirc), that's how stupid Dex scaling is. second, the mundane twinblade has a pure physical AR of 266, while santier's is 296 (with RoB+2) and santier's murders the drakekeepers in pretty much one full 2H combo, while the twinblade barely scratches them (iirc it takes something like 4 full 2H combos to kill one). and i remember reading someone else did a similar test with the stone twinblade @40Str that had something like a 30-50 higher AR than a raw SS, and the SS still consistently outdamaged the stone twinblade. they all deal "slash" damage so it shouldn't be that. the only thing that makes sense is that either twinblades are bugged or perhaps SS enjoys some kind of hidden halberd weapon type modifier

You forgot the simple explanation: From can't program.

Kanedias

Savant
I found it. "タニムラッシュvsハベル" or as the Gaijin would say, Tanimura Rush vs Havel!

http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm23539628

It's interesting that these havels don't have too high HP or defense, though. And I actually met a player today that tried to do the Tanimura Rush in the exact same arena map, baiting in the same way, so I guess the video is somewhat known in Japan.

Anyways, when I play early in the morning I tend to get matched mostly with japanese players, and I saw some interesting stuff like plenty of Bluemoon Greatswords. Also, not all of them were terribly overlevelled. There were plenty with acceptable builds.

DragoFireheart

Tanimura Rush = dual wield non-powerstance R1/L1 alternating to stunlock, correct?

Kanedias

Savant

What's the most tryhard setup? Gyrm Greathelm, Havels, Ruler Greatsword, Cathias Chime?

Ruler's Sword isn't that powerful actually, it's very good, better than the claymore and such, but the AR of the weapon lies. It does not do as much damage as the description would lead you to think, so it is not head and shoulders over other greatswords. I would rank the Black Dragon Greatsword with its super combo higher than the Ruler's Sword.

They're switching Havel's chest to Jester's these days. For weapons it's a tie between santier/avelyn, helix/mastodon/scythe of want. Syan's been popular with tryhards lately as well. Don't forget roll parrying.

Kanedias

Savant
Tanimura Rush = dual wield non-powerstance R1/L1 alternating to stunlock, correct?

Yes. The person plays in the middle arena map (my friends and I call it the "Sippy Ruins" because of how easy it is to run away and heal there) he gets in red tearstone range and runs away, baiting the Havels to follow him. Then he ambushes them from behind a pillar with the Tanimura Rush and they die.

DragoFireheart

They're switching Havel's chest to Jester's these days. For weapons it's a tie between santier/avelyn, helix/mastodon/scythe of want. Syan's been popular with tryhards lately as well. Don't forget roll parrying.

I must be the best tryhard!

I MUST KNOW!

(for the purposes of being a blue invader, not for duels. Sinners need to be punished).

praetor

Arcane
oh man.. the barbed club WTF: uninfused on my 20/40 it has something like 373 AR, then i infuse it with fire and it gets ~400 pure physical + ~100 fire damage (plus ~200 bleed), buff it with flame weapon and it's 100 more fire, it's "strike" damage and weighs only 5 units. the only drawback is the short range, i guess.

Kanedias

Savant
A true tryhard would wear Ironclad for even more defense. Ironclad + Gyrm Greathelm + Havel pieces + a Syan's. If you're sufficiently levelled that build can be unbeatable by normal builds because you force them to do damage to you straight up, without criticals, and backstabs are the main weakness of Syan's Halberd. They can have a stupid amount of defense and just backpedal and press r1 from time to time and win fights.

At least the Helix Halberd stuff can be parried and if you're close to them and to the side you take significantly lower damage from it. I'd say Syan's is worse...which is a shame, because Syan's Halberd is one of my favorite weapons. It just gets really OP with anti-backstab defense and the inflated resistances that high levels have.

DragoFireheart

A true tryhard would wear Ironclad for even more defense. Ironclad + Gyrm Greathelm + Havel pieces + a Syan's. If you're sufficiently levelled that build can be unbeatable by normal builds because you force them to do damage to you straight up, without criticals, and backstabs are the main weakness of Syan's Halberd. They can have a stupid amount of defense and just backpedal and press r1 from time to time and win fights.

At least the Helix Halberd stuff can be parried and if you're close to them and to the side you take significantly lower damage from it. I'd say Syan's is worse...which is a shame, because Syan's Halberd is one of my favorite weapons. It just gets really OP with anti-backstab defense and the inflated resistances that high levels have.

But will Syan's still be good after the patch?

I must become the best tryhard. Sinners must suffer.

praetor

Arcane
i don't get why they're nerfing syan's damage. the stunlock was the only problem, otherwise it's the only good stabby dex weapon with some reach (since spears are crap)

Kanedias

Savant
It sounds like they're removing the infinite stunlock, and if that's the only thing they change, it's going to be OP still. We'll have to see....the patch notes are not clear and From always does stealth changes anyways.

oh man.. the barbed club WTF: uninfused on my 20/40 it has something like 373 AR, then i infuse it with fire and it gets ~400 pure physical + ~100 fire damage (plus ~200 bleed), buff it with flame weapon and it's 100 more fire, it's "strike" damage and weighs only 5 units. the only drawback is the short range, i guess.

Some weapons do this, yes. Manikin Sabre and Malformed Skull (which you mentioned earlier) are other examples.

I actually intend to make a build that dual wields the Barbed Club and the Chariot Lance, and it's based around bleed. When using axes or maces you can hit the enemy with them and combo that with lance attacks, so you can do stuff like L1 -> R1 -> R2 which does a lot of damage.

Axes are better because mace 1h running attacks are absolute crap, but the only axe with bleed is the Bound Hand Axe and that's probably rubbish.

DragoFireheart

It sounds like they're removing the infinite stunlock, and if that's the only thing they change, it's going to be OP still. We'll have to see....the patch notes are not clear and From always does stealth changes anyways.

Doesn't matter. The tryhards will find a way. There will always be something better in games like this.

i don't get why they're nerfing syan's damage. the stunlock was the only problem, otherwise it's the only good stabby dex weapon with some reach (since spears are crap)

This makes no sense: you said "good" and "dex weapon".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom