Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
more accurate translation, courtesy of reddit:

Syan only needed the removal of inifinistunlock, the damage nerf is OTT cause it was the only good spear in the game (since actual spears suck hard and this is the only halberd with a stabbing moveset :P). when will From learn that balancing =/= nerfing to oblivion :(

I gave up on Froms balancing capabilities since DaS2s start.

praetor

Arcane
Partizan is like Syan's but without spinning.

i honestly don't understand your comparison. Partizan is half the damage, isn't unparryable with 2H, the 2HR1 doesn't stunlock infintely etc.

anyway, regarding the balance changes:

it appears From really doesn't understand how SM nulls and voids any balance change they make and it'll only make the game even less fun and the gap between SL100-200 and SL300+ players in the 15mil SM bracket even bigger. take the new buff balance: now they depend on stats, meaning that comparatively a SL150 player will deal even less damage than a SL300 with buffs since spicing down will make them worse than resins. don't get me wrong, i'm all for changing how the buffs work and nerfing them a bit to make pure melee an appealing prospect, but it's all for naught as long as SM exists (other than organized fight clubs, of course)

I gave up on Froms balancing capabilities since DeS start.

fix'd. they have a really really poor grasp of their own combat mechanics and how they synergise. i'm honestly baffled by their incompetence. from a purely technical PoV, they're easily one of the worst pro developers around

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
i honestly don't understand your comparison. Partizan is half the damage, isn't unparryable with 2H, the 2HR1 doesn't stunlock infintely etc.
Well fair enough, I don't know that much about it. I just compared movesets when picking best halberd for myself, not like I upgraded partizan to +10. But it's stabs looked the same to me.

I wanna play dis:

Is that a greataxe? Must be hard to hit with this shit, since greataxes feel to me like ultra greatswords but with shitty reach. Crescent-types look like only axes with speed and reach working for them (Crescent Axe even has spinning attack on backstep/run). And I am so dissapointed with RIDICULOUSLY oversized blades on axes. Only infantry/handaxe look good. Dragonslayer's looks kinda okay. Yet even regular battleaxe looks like it's Neverwinter Nights 1 again. So shitty. Not even talking about stuff like Gyrm.

Last edited:
Apologies if it's been asked before, but could someone explain me why I have to press "enter" four times every time I access the main menu in Souls games? Is it a console thing? Is there an artistic reason for not loading the menu straight away and presenting a "press start" prompt instead? Do the developers really believe I need to be told about the autosave function and the servers every time I start the game?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

- Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword attack animations adjusted.

NOOOOOOO

I gave up on Froms balancing capabilities since DeS start.

fix'd. they have a really really poor grasp of their own combat mechanics and how they synergise. i'm honestly baffled by their incompetence. from a purely technical PoV, they're easily one of the worst pro developers around

Don't be too harsh on them bro, balancing multiplayer is hard, especially in games with such a breadth of options. Fucking Blizzard couldn't manage to balance PvE and PvP in WoW, with their 10+ years of experience and nearly infinite resources. Shouldn't expect too much from the single intern in charge of balancing at From.

just fucking great. yesterday went 39-3 in BoB with my bat staff and combo heavy homing arrow->dark fog->GRS.i doubt i will make +500 wins till 02 June:rage:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The meta will adjust.

I believe with the dark spells being nerfed some will start to gravitate towards Crystal Soul Spear, Heavy Soul Arrow, and Homing Crystal Soulmass.

praetor

Arcane
there's already plenty of sorcery spammers: cast HCSM, fling a HHSA and while the opponent dodges, catch him with a CSS/SGS. repeat ad nauseam (9 out of 10 times they do this)

now lances will be even more popular since they still have a true infinite stunlock (and pretty insane counter/critical damage), and i wager backstab fishers will get much more popular. oh, and the weapons capable of L1/R1 stunlocks will be more popular (what the japanese players who hate the new director have dubbed the "tanimura rush"). if they continue down this path, without getting rid of the moronic SM, it'll take them a couple of years and 2-3 dozen more calibrations to fix this colossal clusterfuck of a game

DragoFireheart

there's already plenty of sorcery spammers: cast HCSM, fling a HHSA and while the opponent dodges, catch him with a CSS/SGS. repeat ad nauseam (9 out of 10 times they do this)

now lances will be even more popular since they still have a true infinite stunlock (and pretty insane counter/critical damage), and i wager backstab fishers will get much more popular. oh, and the weapons capable of L1/R1 stunlocks will be more popular (what the japanese players who hate the new director have dubbed the "tanimura rush"). if they continue down this path, without getting rid of the moronic SM, it'll take them a couple of years and 2-3 dozen more calibrations to fix this colossal clusterfuck of a game

At least it can be fixed unlike dumb shit like anything Bethesduh made.

And I take back anything I said before. Soul Memory is indeed a pile of shit.

praetor

Arcane

took you long enough to realize it :P

DragoFireheart

took you long enough to realize it :P

They could have kept the Bell areas like the forest and have no caps on level or w/e and/or larger tiers.

To resolve the low-level invader issue all they'd have to do is put stat requirements on gear. That's literally it. They did it for armor and such but I guess From is confused by their own design. :fuuyeah:

My favorite L1/R1 so far is two regular clubs. I got a barbarian-like looking set together and then proceeded to stunlock players to death just by L1/R1 with stone ring. At 99str/end I could do this with even high level havel monsters. The tricky part is to land a single hit.

Kanedias

Savant
Sorcery spammers are not unbalanced, BS fishers are counterable, etc.

Overleveller scum is still a problem but I think this patch is a big step in the right direction. They probably went overboard on the Avelyn nerf though.

Do they seriously call the R1 L1 spam the "Tanimura Rush"? That's hilarious. I loathe those combos, hopefully they remove them.

potatojohn

Arcane
Apologies if it's been asked before, but could someone explain me why I have to press "enter" four times every time I access the main menu in Souls games? Is it a console thing? Is there an artistic reason for not loading the menu straight away and presenting a "press start" prompt instead? Do the developers really believe I need to be told about the autosave function and the servers every time I start the game?
IIRC these things are mandated by Sony and Microshit (along with a billion other things), and the developers are just too lazy to remove them in the pc version.

praetor

Arcane
Sorcery spammers are not unbalanced, BS fishers are counterable, etc.

Overleveller scum is still a problem but I think this patch is a big step in the right direction. They probably went overboard on the Avelyn nerf though.

Do they seriously call the R1 L1 spam the "Tanimura Rush"? That's hilarious. I loathe those combos, hopefully they remove them.

i did not mean to imply that sorcery spammers or BS fishers were unbalanced. just pointed out to Drago that there's already plenty of people using sorcery only (i also have a mostly sorcerer character and it's pretty friggin fun, unlike DaS1). and i've run into more BS fishers in the DaS2 arena in a week, then i did in a year of PS3 DaS1 kiln/burg duels

and yeah, by going overboard with the avelyn nerf, they pretty much made all xbows unviable and worthless, instead of fixing the "combo into instant avelyn shot" (perhaps the change to reload time will take care of that) thing and powerstanced mundane avelyns. remove mundane/powerstance/combo and no damage nerf is required

and i don't think this is a step in the right direction to make the playing field more level between overlevelled and "normal" players, since now (apparently) spiced buffs (likely all weapon buffs and GMB) will be severely nerfed so the difference between overlevelled and regular players will be even greater... they need to get rid of SM first and foremost if they want to have any semblance of "balance", because that thing is easily one of the poorest, worstly thought out and designed game mechanics that come to mind

DragoFireheart

praetor Do you setup Homing Crystal Soulmass, cast Heavy Homing Soulmass and then follow up with Crystal Soul Spear?

Kanedias

Savant
And the reload time was never the problem for the Avelyn. It was the damage of the powerstanced ones and the tracking. If I managed to roll the shots correctly, I always had time to hit the person while he was reloading, even with a lance.

And the tracking was only an issue because all 3 shots magically tracked, if they made it so it fired in a line (with only the first shot tracking) it would have been enough.

I just managed to kill a badass with syan's halberd while cosplaying as havel. I couldn't believe it. I guess I forgot how good havel's shield is.

Also - have you guys tried the chaos rapier? Infused with fire/flame blade it deals some serious damage for a rapier. I found it a nice step away from resonant shit. I've been trying to spam spells to trick people into dodge attacking then parry with rapier but no luck so far.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

I just managed to kill a badass with syan's halberd while cosplaying as havel. I couldn't believe it. I guess I forgot how good havel's shield is.

Also - have you guys tried the chaos rapier? Infused with fire/flame blade it deals some serious damage for a rapier. I found it a nice step away from resonant shit. I've been trying to spam spells to trick people into dodge attacking then parry with rapier but no luck so far.

Must be why Rapiers and Flame Weapon are getting nerfed.

Murk

Arcane
I am now the dragon. I joined the dragon covenant after having 50 scales (I though that's how many I needed). Turns out I only need 30. With the exception of 2 scales (the one after guardian dragon) the other 48 I got from beating dragon bros. Many of them are p weak. Huh.

EDIT: Do dragon scales do anything other than level up covenant?

Murk

Arcane
Poop. Other question: is there a meta on the etiquette of how many souls to keep on you? I feel like some people would get mad if they got like 2 mil souls from a kill and were bumped up 1-2 tiers because I decided to backstep instead of roll or because I thought I could take a great gyrm hammer to the face the way momma taught me.

P.S Dear From, if you want to nerf something nerf backstab damage -- 2k+ really?

Last edited:

Kanedias

Savant
The souls you get is based on your soul level, not on the amount of souls you have on your character.

By the way, the Black Dragon Greatsword you get when you get to rank 3 in the dragonbros is absolutely OP. It is incredibly long and the 2h moveset has a very long stunlock that destroys everyone.

Run attack -> R1 -> R2 -> R2.

You need quite a bit of stamina for it but it does massive damage. Mastodon GS also has it but that greatsword has an inflated stamina consumption so I don't think that combo is viable unless you have an obnoxious amount of stamina for some reason.

Bastard Sword can probably do it too, but I did not try.

Yeah I've seen dudes doing just that with mastodon/black dragon. It's kind of like havel monsters with santier's/avelyn combo - just exploiting one attack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom