Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

.... If I remember correctly you can beat the pursuer by parrying his first dash slice with a buckler in front of a ballista. You then have more than enough time to use the ballista to take off like 80% of his health in one shot.

Or did they patch that out at some point?

It still works. I still find it easier to just kill him the good ol' fashioned way. Trying to get him lined up in front of the ballista is a pain.

SotFS Heide and a bit of Wharf

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...souls-2-shadow-of-the-first-sin-tech-analysis

Grimlorn

Arcane
How is the PS4 better than the PC? Are they using a crappier graphics card?

Will Scholar of the First Sin fix this?

praetor

Arcane

the PC version is what you can get now (regular DX9 DaS2 with SotS patch), nad the ps4 looks barely a tiny bit better, and the PC DX9 version right now can look even better with a few tweaks using enb/gedosato/whatever. one of the shittiest cashgrabs. #fromisdeadtome

Grimlorn

Arcane

the PC version is what you can get now (regular DX9 DaS2 with SotS patch), nad the ps4 looks barely a tiny bit better, and the PC DX9 version right now can look even better with a few tweaks using enb/gedosato/whatever. one of the shittiest cashgrabs. #fromisdeadtome
I see. The DX11 PC version will be out in April and they just used the dx9 PC version for comparison. I was just a bit surprised the textures were better on the PS4. I still prefer the darker look on the PC version. I don't like how bright the light is in PS4. Doesn't fit with this game. Also looks a bit more fake to me.

How is Scholar of the First Sin so far? Are the item locations much better?

praetor

Arcane

I see. The DX11 PC version will be out in April and they just used the dx9 PC version for comparison. I was just a bit surprised the textures were better on the PS4. I still prefer the darker look on the PC version. I don't like how bright the light is in PS4. Doesn't fit with this game. Also looks a bit more fake to me.

How is Scholar of the First Sin so far? Are the item locations much better?

nothing has changed in the regular versions afaik, only the "Scholar" got added at (iirc) 4 locations + the additional boss fight and bonus ending. they didn't even rebalance everything like they said they will

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Got to laugh at console peasants. Next gen port and it still looks inferior to lastgen PC port.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Damn that sucks. I thought they were changing item locations and other stuff so things made a bit more sense when progressing.

praetor

Arcane
Damn that sucks. I thought they were changing item locations and other stuff so things made a bit more sense when progressing.

that's going to be changed in the cashgrab version. because changed items and enemy locations are too much for the older hardware to handle

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

that's going to be changed in the cashgrab version. because changed items and enemy locations are too much for the older hardware to handle
It's an economically sound move and about the only reason why i'm considering buying it instead of just getting the dlc for the original game.

And whats the point in playing those games in offline mode? Half the fun is ganking, twinking, cooping bosses, fight clubs etc
My first playthrough of any new souls shit is always offline. It just feels better somehow.

SotFS makes perfect sense as a next-gen release bundled with DLC. They should've never hyped it as a graphics upgrade - it's all people think it is now.

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
I don't know. I thought I was supposed to be able to take him down. I killed 1 boss in Heide, cleared all No Man's Wharf up until the boss in the ship which I haven't attempted yet. I think I just suck, I randomly die to any mob when I start up the game and it takes a few deaths to get used to it again. Ive got the Knight armor +3, Fire Longsword +3, leather shield, 4 rings, estus 4 +1. I just utterly fail at fighting. I feel bad leaving so many bosses behind.

No it's not you sucking. Even the lowest mob can kill experienced players if they slack. It's how it's supposed to be!

In general, my advice is drop the shield, try two handing a spear, pump agility and health. Shields cripple your development and aren't much fun to use. I feel kinda silly rolling everywhere but the game seems to be built around rolling, so you'll have the most fun by doing it.

The spear is my favourite early weapon if you two hand it. It might seem basic at first but that's good if you're new because it allows you to focus on the enemies and your positioning instead of worrying about sexy combos. Plus it does the basics really well. Thrusts are OP against AI mobs, especially if two handed because it will stun them. Give it a try with your longsword and you'll see how great they are. But the swing is also really good. Combined they give you the two best types of damage (thrust and blunt) plus the options of forward or wide attacks so you have an attack for all occasions. Also, if you use the range wisely it can help keep you out of harm so you shouldn't miss the shield too much. Plus they have the best backstabs EVAH!

As has been said, get your agility up. Not being able to do things isn't a lot of fun. Don't worry about damage too much because staying alive and being able to do things is more important. Get the stats you need to use a weapon then pump health along with some stamina. High health makes the game much more enjoyable. Low health should be for when you're much more experienced IMO.

Don't forget backstepping, dashing and jumping attacks. They can make combat a lot easier and a lot more fun. If you haven't killed the Old Dragonslayer yet, try backstepping his initial attack. It's really satisfying to pull off.

For bosses, my advice is put your soapstone down and get summoned a few times before you summon anyone else. It's a great way to get practise without having to keep fighting your way back to the boss over and over. Plus, if you're successful you get all your shit repaired/refilled.

I'm not a great DS player and I haven't touched the game in like 6 months. But I'm getting an itch to play again so if you want to do some coop let me know. Sunbroing is my favourite part of the game so I'd love to help out. The lack of coop is actually why I quit playing. There's a lot of cool stuff in the game you'll never experience if you quit. Apart from later levels there's also NG+ which is very different. Don't worry about being badass or feeling like you should solo everything. You paid good money, so have fun and get your moneys worth!

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't know. I thought I was supposed to be able to take him down. I killed 1 boss in Heide, cleared all No Man's Wharf up until the boss in the ship which I haven't attempted yet. I think I just suck, I randomly die to any mob when I start up the game and it takes a few deaths to get used to it again. Ive got the Knight armor +3, Fire Longsword +3, leather shield, 4 rings, estus 4 +1. I just utterly fail at fighting. I feel bad leaving so many bosses behind.

No it's not you sucking. Even the lowest mob can kill experienced players if they slack. It's how it's supposed to be!

In general, my advice is drop the shield, try two handing a spear, pump agility and health. Shields cripple your development and aren't much fun to use. I feel kinda silly rolling everywhere but the game seems to be built around rolling, so you'll have the most fun by doing it.

The spear is my favourite early weapon if you two hand it. It might seem basic at first but that's good if you're new because it allows you to focus on the enemies and your positioning instead of worrying about sexy combos. Plus it does the basics really well. Thrusts are OP against AI mobs, especially if two handed because it will stun them. Give it a try with your longsword and you'll see how great they are. But the swing is also really good. Combined they give you the two best types of damage (thrust and blunt) plus the options of forward or wide attacks so you have an attack for all occasions. Also, if you use the range wisely it can help keep you out of harm so you shouldn't miss the shield too much. Plus they have the best backstabs EVAH!

As has been said, get your agility up. Not being able to do things isn't a lot of fun. Don't worry about damage too much because staying alive and being able to do things is more important. Get the stats you need to use a weapon then pump health along with some stamina. High health makes the game much more enjoyable. Low health should be for when you're much more experienced IMO.

Don't forget backstepping, dashing and jumping attacks. They can make combat a lot easier and a lot more fun. If you haven't killed the Old Dragonslayer yet, try backstepping his initial attack. It's really satisfying to pull off.

For bosses, my advice is put your soapstone down and get summoned a few times before you summon anyone else. It's a great way to get practise without having to keep fighting your way back to the boss over and over. Plus, if you're successful you get all your shit repaired/refilled.

I'm not a great DS player and I haven't touched the game in like 6 months. But I'm getting an itch to play again so if you want to do some coop let me know. Sunbroing is my favourite part of the game so I'd love to help out. The lack of coop is actually why I quit playing. There's a lot of cool stuff in the game you'll never experience if you quit. Apart from later levels there's also NG+ which is very different. Don't worry about being badass or feeling like you should solo everything. You paid good money, so have fun and get your moneys worth!
Thanks for the nice post! I've figured out on my own when to use which kind of attack already. I finally beat the Pursuer after having farmed lvl 63 or something in No Mans Wharf by killing the fuckers over and over and over and getting my Great Sword to +5 and it made a huge difference. Basically, I just said fuck it and first killed everything in Bastille (arrival by boat) until it stopped respawning, I tried out all my weapons for fun and it took the pressure off me, I had been getting pissed off at myself and the game. Then I farmed all Wharf and I alternate between 2h Great Sword, 1h + shield and the Fire Longsword when the GS gets too damaged. I'm completely overweight but it doesn't seem to matter actually, the slow roll doesn't hurt me ever.

1) how do I do the jumping attack with keyboard and mouse? I watched my friend do it and can't figure it out.
2) I just randomly lvl up stats that look nice, too many numbers for me to care about
3) how do I put the stupid shiny thing in the birds nest? I got 3 of those but can't seem to figure out how to give them to the birds

You have to "leave" items in the nest. "Leave" puts things on the ground and "Discard" gets rid of them permanently.

Jumping attacks are tricky. I think you have to disable double clicking in the keyboard/mouse menu. Just a quick tap of forward + strong attack at the same time should do it. You just have to work the timing out. The KB/M system is shitty so you might wanna look into AutoHotKey scripts to make it possible to just press a button to jump attack.

:thumbsup: for n00b grinding strats. My first time with Demon's/Dark Souls was similar.

dr. one

Augur
1) how do I do the jumping attack with keyboard and mouse? I watched my friend do it and can't figure it out.

Besides left and right mouse clicks, I´ve assigned attack (right hand) to Q and strong attack (right hand) to F - therefore I can perform jump attack by pressing Q + direction key, which in my case is the usual WASD setup (guard break is F + WASD) - I recommend trying something in this vein since pushing two keys at the same time seems more precise than a key + mouse click and I bet it makes performing jump attacks/guard breaks easier than on controllers as well :).

Speaking of k+m, I´d recommend assigning "interact" and "confirm" to a same key so that you don´t have to use mouse when picking up stuff.

Also, disabling double clicking is absolute must on k+m as it gets rid of the input delay. It needs to be done in the beginning of each session because this particular setting for some reason doesn´t stick after quitting the game.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
Thanks for the tip, the jump attack works perfectly with keyboard butans only.

Guys I'm further into the game now, at the Iron Keep.

I don't know why I'm playing this. It's not as hard anymore, which is good but I can't find any purpose in playing the game. It looks gorgeous because of the art style (+some mods) but... I just feel like I'm switching my mindset between grinding and frustration. I think I'm really missing some more obvious story other than the environmental lore stuff and the all pervasive oddness of the world. I just realized it feels like playing a single player MMO. The only reason for me to go forward is to see new areas and weapons and enemies and that's satisfied once I enter a new zone, then it's just a grind. I guess I should try to enjoy the environments more or something... The game feels like a min-maxer's dream but the atmosphere only holds up until I'm going through the same route for the 3rd time.

DramaticPopcorn

Just PvP for a bit, do invastions, fuck around with rat coventant, bell bros, etc

I don't know why I'm playing this. It's not as hard anymore, which is good but I can't find any purpose in playing the game. It looks gorgeous because of the art style (+some mods) but... I just feel like I'm switching my mindset between grinding and frustration. I think I'm really missing some more obvious story other than the environmental lore stuff and the all pervasive oddness of the world. I just realized it feels like playing a single player MMO. The only reason for me to go forward is to see new areas and weapons and enemies and that's satisfied once I enter a new zone, then it's just a grind. I guess I should try to enjoy the environments more or something... The game feels like a min-maxer's dream but the atmosphere only holds up until I'm going through the same route for the 3rd time.

I think that by grinding so much, you're bringing all of this upon yourself. The only real way to "get" the story shit is to read the description of every single thing you pick up.

Dude you despawned mobs in two or three different locations :lol: of course it felt like fucking mmo:salute:

DramaticPopcorn

Why would you grind anyway, you can progress pretty casually with ring of life protection and grind late game when you want to switch your build

Cadmus

Arcane
Why would you grind anyway, you can progress pretty casually with ring of life protection and grind late game when you want to switch your build
oh my god...it said the ring would break but I didn't realize I could repair it, lol.

I think that by grinding so much, you're bringing all of this upon yourself. The only real way to "get" the story shit is to read the description of every single thing you pick up.
I don't grind any more. I only did it because I had nowhere to progress without killing the boss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom