Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
No Man's Wharf is beautiful with the new lighting, before it was pitch black and you couldn't see shit, now it's dark but proper dark, you can see whole area even though it's dark, it's how it should've been which confirms my expectations that scholar is the finished version of souls.

The enemy placement is also much more logical and fits nicer compared to previous enemy placement.

I give it 10/10 as coming back from ps3 version.

It's likely that you'd also give vanilla DS2 on PC a high note coming from PS3. 60 fps, 8x the resolution and almost instant load times make a world of difference.

Murk

Arcane
Welp, SOTFS has p much made pvp bare bones for DS 2 (at least for me) and I'm getting tired of invading random nubs in lowbie areas.

I think it's time. Bye bye DS 2; it was fun while it lasted. /single tear

Gozma

Arcane
Did they change enemy placements and so on in the DLC area for the SotS thing? Everyone praises them so much I don't want to buy the SotS version if it messes them up.

dr. one

Augur
Did they change enemy placements and so on in the DLC area for the SotS thing?
No.
The new special phantom can invade there (can invade in a lot of vanilla locations too) and I think they´ve closed a certain material farming route in Sunken (by removing an ascetic) and that´s probably it.
One notable difference is that the keys unlocking the areas now have to be found within the gameworld and at least one of these is fairly well hidden.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Guys, how many of you had several issues with the hitboxes on the game? It's something that disturbs me because i don't remember strange hits in my playthrough but there is a lot of people complaining about it out there.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I just dodged the pursuer sword and thought i'm gonna get hit but the sword missed by millimeters and it was a dodge and was surprised because of what i heard about hitboxes, seems ok to me.

Interesting change in scholar, pursuer actualy 'pursues' you now, he spawns at different locations as you play.

The hitbox meme started long time ago when people didn't know anything about Agility. I'm not gonna deny that bullshit grab attacks and huge AoE shockwaves aren't there. Pretty much every souls game has those.

DaS2 has slower, more pronounced actions so it's more noticeable.

On topic :

I had a pretty good time with SotFS (even coming from a ton of hours in regular DaS2). Some changes are unnecessary though (Iron Keep and Dragon Aerie come to mind). Overall a bit lazy...

I just dodged the pursuer sword and thought i'm gonna get hit but the sword missed by millimeters and it was a dodge and was surprised because of what i heard about hitboxes, seems ok to me.

Interesting change in scholar, pursuer actualy 'pursues' you now, he spawns at different locations as you play.
Wasn't this always the case?

Not that i remember on ps3.
I remember if you died the first time you fought it on the battlements close to the bonfire shortcut in FotFG it would relocate to the battlements with the ballistas, close to the nest that takes you to Bastille. Is this what you're talking about?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Nope, the pursuer spawned at 3 different locations in Lost Bastile and in Heides tower of flame

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Cool thing about the change to the Covenant of Champions - since it stops enemies from disappearing if you kill them enough times you can now farm them endlessly. Even if they've disappeared from being killed too many times, you just need to join the covenant for as long as you need to farm stuff, although they'll disappear again if you quit.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So now that I assume people have been playing Sots for a few days. What is the verdict? Are the new enemy and item spawns werf it?

nomask7

Arcane
So now that I assume people have been playing Sots for a few days. What is the verdict? Are the new enemy and item spawns werf it?

More importantly, do they make the game better or worse?

I'm in Aldia's Keep in the original DS2, so - pretty far - but half of the game was so easy I didn't have to redo the levels much or at all, so I don't remember much about them. But I do recall that Shrine of Amana had excellent monster placement. I wonder if they managed to keep that level of quality in that level. And what about the others? I think Forest of Giants was kinda meh in terms of enemy placement compared with the first levels of Dark Souls (Undead Burg and Undead Parish).

A lot of the levels in DS2 seemed rather insubstantial, like they were just a short prelude to the boss battles. Might not make much of a difference how the monsters there are placed unless the designers just added a lot of extras.

Murk

Arcane
^ do you have the DLCs, nomask? They are, without a doubt, the best parts of DS 2 (and also sometimes the most infuriating.)

They also feature some of the best boss battles. And everyone's favorite champion of light turned to dark, poostadt.

Quatlo

Arcane
At least you dont have to rush to IK for the ember now, positive change in my opinion.

Murk

Arcane
I agree, now the belfry will be full of even more dark infused uchigatanas

ha ha ha

you pigs are right for the slaughter ;^)

Grimlorn

Arcane
They didn't really change item locations of weapons and stuff from what I can tell. It's mostly just changing the location of Dull Ember and Bastille Key making you get them earlier. Stuff like that. Pyromancy flame is still after beating Flexile Sentry. I don't remember all the items locations off hand. Only played through the game once but they all look pretty similar.

They also added more statues so I'm assuming they have added more branches. There's even a statue in the tutorial area before the two ogres. I don't know why they did that yet. Haven't unlocked it yet.

A lot more enemies. You'll be switching weapons more or using that ring that lowers durability loss.

They put a wyvern right before the boss battle with Ornstein in Heide's Tower. I didn't notice a pattern where I could get up there without it breathing fire constantly. So I just took it out with a crossbow. I don't see how you could get up there unless maybe you had really high health and fire resistance. Talking enough to walk around on the lava. Heide knights all there. They will start patrolling the area after you beat the Dragon Rider.

They also put a Flexile Sentry right before the Old Sinner in the water. Instead of there being those two big weird mobs, there is the Flexile Sentry and the fight is harder imo than the boss fight because there is less room to move, the water is a bit higher, and it's so dark. He respawns as well and only pays out 3k souls.

Can no longer lock onto those enemies in the mist. For whatever reason I could also barely see them in a lot of cases as well. Not sure if that had something to do with the brightness settings or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom